Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Pirinçlik, AS or “The Duck”

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Pirinçlik, AS or “The Duck”

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Oldtimer View Post
    As far as the political turmoil in Turkey at the time I was there: I was told and read that before I got there in 1980 the Turkish civilian government was upset with the U.S. Government (can't remember what about) and had restricted a lot of things that we could do. For example, equipment and supplies coming to the U.S. Military in Turkey was restricted severely or stopped entirely. We were always short of supplies or it seemed to take forever to receive anything. Letters I wrote to my wife or parents (who lived in California) took 7 to 10 days to get there. Of course, we did not have the internet or e-mail back then. We did have a direct shot uplink to satellites, so every American on the site got to call back to States once a week for about 15 minutes. I think that being isolated for so long affected a person's mental attitude. It certainly seemed to encourage drinking a lot! After the Turkish military staged a military coup in October of 1980 the supplies and things that we needed seemed to arrive much sooner than before.
    I just remembered that President Reagan called the site on Christmas Eve 1984 (before I got there) and one of the cops in my unit got to talk to him.
    The Duck had plenty of comm links back to NORAD.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

You are absolutely right! I don't know why I thought it was Mt Ararat. I went back and did some research through all of my old pictures and found the name of the mountain (or big hill) that I went to. It is Mt Nemrut, which is close to the city of Ahlat (which which sits on the west side of Lake Van). According to Google Maps, Mt. Nemrut is 247 kilometers east of Diyarbakir. If you go to Google Images and type in Mt Nemrut statues you will see pictures of statues that I saw when I was there. Sorry about the mixup! Oh, also sorry for thinking that they were Greek statues.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

This thread makes me glad I was never stationed in Turkey.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    There are a lot of ancient ruins (Hanskeyef) around Batman that are soon to be or already have been submerged by a hydro-electric dam project.

I got to catch a glimpse of some of them on the van ride into Batman.

We did get to stop and look at a beautiful bridge built by the Byzantines over the Tigress River. I would have loved to have seen more of that stuff.

I’m assuming you were at Batman during Desert Storm; were you able to break away to check out Hanskeyef?
    Right after Desert Storm for Provide Comfort. Didn't get much leisure time off the base, but we did drive down to Silopi on the Iraq border where there was another coalition helicopter base set up. The coalition had free reign inside Northern Iraq for humanitarian relief ops, so we were able to just drive across the border and check out the Kurdish refugee camps inside Iraq and some abandon Iraqi military sites. There was tons of helmets and ordnance laying around. On the drive down there, I remember seeing ancient ruins as you mentioned...I thought they might had been Roman. There was a cool looking ancient bridge in Zakho, Iraq too over the Tigress River. Once we closed down Batman, we had to drive clear across Turkey back to Incirlik; that was definitely some pucker factor. It was rough living conditions for 6 months, but it created lifelong memories for me.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Were you a cop back then?
    Yes................

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

JD2780 Guest

My wife has mentioned she wouldn't mind turkey. I told her I don't want my kids going not to turkey. Ever.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JD2780 View Post
    My wife has mentioned she wouldn't mind turkey. I told her I don't want my kids going not to turkey. Ever.
    I agree. Not under the current adminstration and any like it.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself here.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I didn't even recognize myself!

Too funny!
    Just a update.

Me standing on left side and Lumpy the guy in the wig with qtips in his nose hooked up at my place for a mini duck reunion to rehash old times. Families think we were nuts with some of our stories.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

That's great, tell Lumpy that I said hello!

My most vivid memory of Lumpy is the night I came into CSC for a mid-shift and he was talking about the space shuttle Challenger exploding.

Thread Information