Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PCSing to RAF Lakenheath,Mildenhall, or Feltwell?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default PCSing to RAF Lakenheath,Mildenhall, or Feltwell?

Be prepared to move into housing unless you want to pay the rent out of pocket. (About $2000 for rent). Just got a Memo that all E-1 to E-6 will PCS into housing. The kicker... Lakenheath has new housing. Its pretty nice not british style(closets and garages you can fit a car in) On the otherside of the fence is Lords Walk. Considered base housing looks like section 8 housing and patrolled by UK cops Simple crimes like cars broken into is a problem. As it is in most of Europe. There is also Mildenhall housing and housing in Feltwell.

This does make sense financially. It cost the Govt $2500 a month per household to live off base. so 30k a year saved x 300 empty houses quite a bit of money saved.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: PCSing to RAF Lakenheath,Mildenhall, or Feltwell?

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Be prepared to move into housing unless you want to pay the rent out of pocket. (About $2000 for rent). Just got a Memo that all E-1 to E-6 will PCS into housing. The kicker... Lakenheath has new housing. Its pretty nice not british style(closets and garages you can fit a car in) On the otherside of the fence is Lords Walk. Considered base housing looks like section 8 housing and patrolled by UK cops Simple crimes like cars broken into is a problem. As it is in most of Europe. There is also Mildenhall housing and housing in Feltwell.

This does make sense financially. It cost the Govt $2500 a month per household to live off base. so 30k a year saved x 300 empty houses quite a bit of money saved.
    That blows. Glad I was there when I was. People couldn't get into housing if they tried. There was about a 10-12 month waiting period. Where they will save big is on the Utility allowance. I think mine was around 750 a month, depending on the going rate.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As someone who visited Mildenhall and Lakenheath many a time ( i used to live down the road in Bury St Edmunds) that is a shame they are not letting people out in town to live...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    As someone who visited Mildenhall and Lakenheath many a time ( i used to live down the road in Bury St Edmunds) that is a shame they are not letting people out in town to live...
    Agreed. Now, instead of having us living in British communities and actually letting the locals see what the majority of American's are like, by being neighbors and making friends, the only time there will be interaction is at the clubs with the annoying drunk American's. Way to work on international relations with our closest ally.

Forsaken Wombat Guest

Provide the memo. Otherwise, BS flag. There is not enough housing on Lakenheath, Mildenhall, and Feltwell to support all E1-E6 personnel coming in. Even taking into account Sheppard's Grove and Beck Row and other areas of off base privatized housing, it still isn't enough.

This rumor comes and goes at least twice a year.

Next.

***Unless you mean E1-E6 families/married couples, which you did not specify in your OP.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Agreed. Now, instead of having us living in British communities and actually letting the locals see what the majority of American's are like, by being neighbors and making friends, the only time there will be interaction is at the clubs with the annoying drunk American's. Way to work on international relations with our closest ally.
    True dat.. Plus the lack of us spending out in town is also going to be a downer for their economy.

Forsaken Wombat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    True dat.. Plus the lack of us spending out in town is also going to be a downer for their economy.
    LOL...you really think that Americans contribute THAT much to the leisure economy of the local area? Negative. The pubs, restaurants, and clubs are overwhelmingly filled with the "natives". Unlike some military towns back home (Warner Robins, Fayetteville, Kileen, etc), they don't depend on us solely. The biggest losers, if we left, would be the letting agencies, the industrial wholesalers, contractors, and other businesses who rely on the BIG $$$ from the Air Force, not the measly quid from A1C Thaddeus McBRUWIN's wallet on a Friday night pisser.

A majority of Americans already keep their money close to the base anyhow - shop at the BX, shop at the commissary, shop at the gas station and BXtra, eat on base, and travel outside the local area (usually utilizing on-base ITT).

This is just the kind of thinking that creates animosity between some locals and a lot of the military...that for some reason "they need us". Newsflash: THEY DON'T!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

12/30/2011 - ROYAL AIR FORCE LAKENHEATH, England --
    COMPLAINT:

It is going around that soon all E1-E4s with children will be REQUIRED to move into Lords Walk as soon as they arrive (no billeting, just straight into their house), and if they choose to live off base, they will not receive OHA. They may implement the same policy for E5s and E6s as well, and possibly people without kids. I just wanted to know if this is true or a rumor.

RESPONSE:

What you have described is basically true.

These are challenging times and I am constantly assessing existing policies to determine which are still prudent and which need to be changed to meet current conditions. One area that I have identified for potential Air Force savings is our Military Family Housing (MFH) occupancy rate.

The Air Force achieves maximum return on its MFH investment by keeping the occupancy rate high. My goal is to keep it above 98%. To meet this goal, I have authorized a mandatory housing assignment policy. Upon arrival, members that fall into a category where the occupancy rate is below the goal will be directed to move from lodging/temporary housing directly into MFH. This
    assignment policy will apply to new arrivals to RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall, and RAF Feltwell.

Members will be assigned to the first available MFH unit. This will be the most contentious aspect of the policy, as I am well aware that there are varying levels of desirability for our different housing areas. But it is the fairest means of assigning the housing that our Air Force has invested in. Members will have the option to refuse a directed MFH assignment, but only after they agree to forgo their Overseas Housing Allowances. They will then be paying for their off-base residence completely out of pocket.

While I understand that this will take away some flexibility in choosing off-base housing for new arrivals, we all have a responsibility, in this fiscally tight environment, to do our part to reduce the cost to the United States of our military forces serving overseas. There are many great benefits to living in MFH and there are also plenty of opportunities to get out and experience the local culture. I welcome your questions and your feedback as we implement this policy.

Please feel free to contact Ms. Lani Waikiki, Capital Asset Manager, at 226-3183 or e-mail me directly through the Action Line.

http://www.lakenheath.af.mil/news/st...p?id=123284824

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Glad I left. I was looking forward to going back maybe at sometime, but if this is the case then maybe not so much. They have just built some new housing on College Heath Road and at Red Lodge and they are widening the A11 between Mildenhall and Thetford which will make that town much more desirable. I was under the impression that housing was already maxed out anyway? I thoroughly enjoyed having British neighbors and being able to drive off base after work and separate myself from the military after work.
    The powers that be at those bases are notorious for perpetuating the myth that everything outside of the gates will kill you and that if you go to a pub you will get a bottle broken over your head and if you shop at British supermarkets it will cost you 3/4 of your paycheck and you will get food poisoning to boot. Hopefully this is one of those things that looks good on paper, but wont really work once its implemented and things go back to how they have been.
    The immediate area definitely needs the two bases as agriculture alone will not sustain it. But if for whatever reason we did leave the British government is progressive enough that they would transform the region quickly (read: 10-15 years) and turn the bases into international airports or move some RAF assets there. Or perhaps add an actual rail link make it a commuter town.

Thread Information