Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PCSing to RAF Lakenheath,Mildenhall, or Feltwell?

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: PCSing to RAF Lakenheath,Mildenhall, or Feltwell?

Why does this just apply to E1-E6? Why not O1-O4 too?
    “We will kill Bin Laden. We will crush Al Qaeda. That has to be our biggest national security priority."
    - Barack Obama, Oct 2008.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sigecaps View Post
    Agreed. Im still not seeing where all this housing is coming from. Does anyone know what the occupancy rate has been for the past 3-5 years. Most people are scared to live off base and are waiting to get on. People are waiting 6-8 months to get on. A family of 5 PCSs in, they are supposed to go into a three bedroom because the Air Force cant afford to put them off base? If we cant afford to do business there, then we need to leave.

Forsaken Wombat Guest

Okay, so again, this is NOT an issue of "Oh no, ALL E1-E6 will have to live on base!". This is simply a policy akin to Airmen in the dormitories; military family housing will be kept at a 98% occupancy rate before FAMILIIES first are allowed to live off-base.

Well, again, newsflash...Lakenheath housing is maxed out. There is a 4-8 month waiting list just to move in. The sky isn't falling, Chicken Littles...

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

I lived over there in the base housing in Thetford. I was scared cause they told us that Thetford is horrible to live in and that your cars will be broken into and houses will be tore up. Well the worst thing that happened while over there is a group of gypsies (sp) was located down the street and a few bikes were stolen. It wasnt horrible, it was GREAT! Did most of our shopping off base and most of our fun we did right there in Thetford or other close by places. Last I heard is that they were closing down that housing and trying to get everyone on base, but base housing wait time was well over 8 months. I dont see how this policy will work.

Forsaken Wombat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dan5522 View Post
    I lived over there in the base housing in Thetford. I was scared cause they told us that Thetford is horrible to live in and that your cars will be broken into and houses will be tore up. Well the worst thing that happened while over there is a group of gypsies (sp) was located down the street and a few bikes were stolen. It wasnt horrible, it was GREAT! Did most of our shopping off base and most of our fun we did right there in Thetford or other close by places. Last I heard is that they were closing down that housing and trying to get everyone on base, but base housing wait time was well over 8 months. I dont see how this policy will work.
    It won't. That's the point that no one seems to get. There. Aren't. Enough. Houses. For. All. Incoming. E1s. Through. E6s. There aren't even enough houses for families and married couples, thus the waiting list that is almost half of some people's tours.

A smarter policy would be to lower the OHA. The local letting agencies know exactly what our caps are and price their properties to match that. It's not a mystery why I pay close to £900 for a house that a UK national would probably only pay about £250-400 for per month! For a single E5, £500-600/month tops will get a more-than-decent accommodation. The landlords & the letting agents will adjust accordingly.

Also, lower the recurring maintenance/utility allowance. I bank a majority of it; it's ridiculous. The biggest money-vampire is filling up the oil tank if you have a oil-fired boiler.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Wombat View Post
    It won't. That's the point that no one seems to get. There. Aren't. Enough. Houses. For. All. Incoming. E1s. Through. E6s. There aren't even enough houses for families and married couples, thus the waiting list that is almost half of some people's tours.

A smarter policy would be to lower the OHA. The local letting agencies know exactly what our caps are and price their properties to match that. It's not a mystery why I pay close to £900 for a house that a UK national would probably only pay about £250-400 for per month! For a single E5, £500-600/month tops will get a more-than-decent accommodation. The landlords & the letting agents will adjust accordingly.

Also, lower the recurring maintenance/utility allowance. I bank a majority of it; it's ridiculous. The biggest money-vampire is filling up the oil tank if you have a oil-fired boiler.
    I was big into the home improvement type shows when I was there and it was amazing some of the rents (not counting London) that people would get for their immaculate four bedroom, people in the Mildenhall/Lakenheath area would be lucky to get a 1950s era, grotty, three bedroom. Ive heard locals say they cant afford to live in the area because the rents are artificially inflated in comparison with the national average for similar properties. So if they lowered the caps the landlords and letting agents would have no choice but to lower the rates. I think the water is comparable to a lot of stateside bases, but the fossil fuels are definately more expensive and the utility allowance is needed. Also, if this is the case, how come its not enforced at stateside bases? You have to opt in to base housing as opposed to getting permission etc and opting out.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sigecaps View Post
    Cause as with everything else, O's don't have to follow what E's do.

Forsaken Wombat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
    I was big into the home improvement type shows when I was there and it was amazing some of the rents (not counting London) that people would get for their immaculate four bedroom, people in the Mildenhall/Lakenheath area would be lucky to get a 1950s era, grotty, three bedroom. Ive heard locals say they cant afford to live in the area because the rents are artificially inflated in comparison with the national average for similar properties. So if they lowered the caps the landlords and letting agents would have no choice but to lower the rates. I think the water is comparable to a lot of stateside bases, but the fossil fuels are definately more expensive and the utility allowance is needed. Also, if this is the case, how come its not enforced at stateside bases? You have to opt in to base housing as opposed to getting permission etc and opting out.
    I have a direct debit set up with Anglian Water, e-ON energy, BT, and Goff Petroleum; I pay £35 into each one per month. That covers my water (I get a rebate check every year because I pay more into it than I use), usually covers my electricity (save for about £30 maybe), pays most of my BT, and eases the Petroleum payment. Too many of my buddies use their utility allowance on crap like PS3, rims, and alcohol...

Here's a comedy for you all. There used to be a military housing area in Thetford for officers and SNCOs; it was turned over from the base a few years ago. A local letting agency teamed up with some investors from London, bought the properties, and now they rent those same properties out to military members (families and singles alike)!

We built them.

We subsidized them.

We turned them over to the MoD (now DIO).

They sold them.

Now the AF pays in the form of OHA for people to live there.

=D!!!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

The MFR from the 48th wing king stated there were 323 vacant houses. There is a waiting list for Liberty Village because the rest of the housing is slum. The memo (Emailed from my shirt) said if you have less than 18 months left on station you wont be affected. I'm glad I was at the cutoff for Liberty Village when they stopped allowing you to "Reserve" it. I waited 13 months to get in here and love it. I can fit both my cars in my 1 car garage where in Red Lodge I couldn't get my small car in it without climbing through the sunroof to get out. It took me 8 minutes from the time I pulled out of my driveway till I walked in the door at work when I lived at Red Lodge. Now its 20 minutes. If they could just do something about the Trash guys.....

Oh yeah there will be a preference to live at Moldyhole if you work there or Feltwell if you work there. Feltwell has a bunch of empty houses also.
    Last edited by Nic; 01-08-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    The MFR from the 48th wing king stated there were 323 vacant houses. There is a waiting list for Liberty Village because the rest of the housing is slum. The memo (Emailed from my shirt) said if you have less than 18 months left on station you wont be affected. I'm glad I was at the cutoff for Liberty Village when they stopped allowing you to "Reserve" it. I waited 13 months to get in here and love it. I can fit both my cars in my 1 car garage where in Red Lodge I couldn't get my small car in it without climbing through the sunroof to get out. It took me 8 minutes from the time I pulled out of my driveway till I walked in the door at work when I lived at Red Lodge. Now its 20 minutes. If they could just do something about the Trash guys.....

Oh yeah there will be a preference to live at Moldyhole if you work there or Feltwell if you work there. Feltwell has a bunch of empty houses also.
    Yeh that would suck if you worked at Mildenhall and lived in Mildenhall Village or Red Lodge and had to move to Feltwell. Especially if you have a good house with a good landlord who responds to deficiencies. Then have to add 20 minutes to your commute and move into a slum where nothing gets fixed. Do all those empty houses correspond with family sizes?

Thread Information