Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marriage Questions

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Post Marriage Questions

Hello everyone!
    I just wanted to fill you in before i asked a few questions. My fiance and I have been together for over a year. He has recently has been stationed to Hawaii for the next 3 years where I am staying in our home state. We plan on getting married next summer but I just had a few questions to ask because Im not entirely sure how this works. I will be moving with him to Hawaii after we are married, and I also plan to finish school while we are there. I am a psychology major and I am entering my second year of college. Any other advice would be helpful. Sorry this is kind of out of order =)
    1. Are we allowed to get married on an army base that isn't his own?
    2. What are some recommendations on how to plan this wedding?
    3. Since I was moving to Hawaii (Schofield Barracks to be exact) I was wondering what are some good places to live at and what are some good colleges?
    Mostly I just had those few questions but please feel free to give any advice!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Default Re: Marriage Questions

Yes you can get married on any military base, just contact the Chaplain at that base.

Thousands of people get married in Hawaii every year it's all online, It really boils down to how much you want to spend. Hawaii requires you to be in Hawaii for a few days in order to get the marriage license please check with them to prevent getting into a snag later. I was married there, I would recommend paying the extra to get the video... they splice in some really nice Hawaii video. The Hale Koa (Military hotel in Waikiki) does a wedding package, it's really a nice place and priced right too. Having non-military guest stay there is tricky but local hotels are near-by for them.

3. Since I was moving to Hawaii (Schofield Barracks to be exact) I was wondering what are some good places to live at and what are some good colleges?

As you most likely know, it's very expensive and small but everyone finds something... If they have military base housing that would be another option for you after you're married. Getting your belongings moved there on Uncle Sam's dime and your airline tickets requires you to be legally married prior to his PCS move. Try the U of H.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thank you so much for this! This has helped me out alot! If you have any other advice please let me know! Thanks again!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

As mentioned, contacting the Installation Chaplain Office at Schofield Barracks (or the Installation where you plan to be married) would be your first stop. Purpose being, each Installation is different on requirements to be married on a Installation. Also, some Installation may require pre-marrital counseling or pre-marrital classes or both.

See above for your first requirement. Second, also look into wedding planning in Hawaii or even in your own location. He can always return home for the wedding as it will be cheaper then flying your family there. After, you can always have a private wedding (again) on the beach in Hawaii. It will make the process of question one easier if you want to renew your vows, then a out right wedding.

I can't speak for colleges in the area, but the Installation Education Center there can help. Looking up Schofield Barracks Education Center in a Internet search, should, get you the information you are looking for. Also, the housing office can assist you. If you want to start planning early, your finace can go to the Automated Housing Referral Network (www.ahrn.com), register, and start looking now.

Good luck!

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Thank you for the advice! I was wondering on how to get started with the housing. We plan on getting married next June but I wasn't sure if it was too early to look for housing or apply

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

There would be no need to look for housing prior to:

~ Being married
    ~ On orders to Hawaii

Unless you're just curious, in your scenario it may make more sense to get married in your home state first and have your honeymoon in Hawaii. The service member will receive housing and COLA which will cover the expense of housing well 75% of it anyway. In order for all that to happen though you have to married first.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Ok thank you. I just wanted to make sure of how to do the houseing and when to request it. We are planning on getting married here first. Just so family and friends could see

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

Leave the toilet seat up and you'll be fine.

Thats most of America....we work ourselves to death, literally - Michaep

Not this American. I plan on leisuring myself to death. - Shrike

****Disclaimer - All posts are for entertainment purposes only!!!! I accept no responsibility if you take whatever I write to be serious and/or factual! Any resemblance to the truth is purely fictional and coincidental at best.****

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

After you are married and included on the orders (Make sure you get a military ID card and on DEERS too). When you get to Hawaii you check in at the, lodging office with a copy of your (his) orders. If they have a Temporary lodging facility (TLF) room available they will give it to you, if not you will get a statement of non-availability or something similar, then you go to a local hotel and get reimbursed for your stay up to the authorized amount. Just ask them at lodging how much that amount is. For Hawaii it's really high. When your husband in-processes through housing all of the details on your residence will be determined and it's also based on rank too.

Because you are PCS'ing to Hawaii you can reserve the room several months in advance too if you want to stay on post instead of maybe having to get a hotel when you show up. (personally I would just show up and hope they didn't have any rooms)

You can research the post online and get an idea of the housing offered as well.

Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Received)

that works too lol

Thread Information