Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What you don’t know about the Navy’s plans for a community college

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

What you don’t know about the Navy’s plans for a community college

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...unity-college/

Once again, the Navy decides to follow in the Air Force's footsteps years after proven success.

The Community College of the Air Force has been a launching pad for these Airmen and Sailors have been trying to push a Navy version for years.

Why are we just now getting onboard (pun intended)?.?.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post

Once again, the Navy decides to follow in the Air Force's footsteps years after proven success.

The Community College of the Air Force has been a launching pad for these Airmen and Sailors have been trying to push a Navy version for years.

Actually, the AF just rescinded it's policy of requiring the CCAF degree for promotion to E-8 and higher. That's a good thing. Personally, I think the CCAF is a fricken joke. I got my "degree" in 1995 before I left active duty for the first time, then learned that my four year college would only give me credit for one history class and basic training (counted for phys ed). Also, it was embarrassing trying to explain to people how the CCAF isn't really a college, doesn't really have a campus, doesn't have any professors, and doesn't offer its own classes. They should just close it down and leave the college business to, you know, real colleges.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Interesting!!!

I still think it's a step ahead of the Navy with regards to acknowledging college credit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting!!!

I still think it's a step ahead of the Navy with regards to acknowledging college credit.
    Yes, and you can use DANTES, CLEP, Professional training, etc to earn credits towards the CCAF Associates Degree, but if you go this route you will find that most 4-year schools will not accept these types of credits, leaving the student to start from the beginning. That is why I've always told people to know the difference between a "Associates Degree" and TWO YEARS of school. There can be a huge difference, and those who want to continue on to get a Bachelors Degree need to understand that before it's too late and they find themselves further behind on that four year degree than they originally expected. My advice is to focus on taking general education requirements, etc that will not only will help earn the associates, but will also transfer over to most four year schools, and if working towards this you can also qualify for the AF or Navy 'cracker jack' associates, then great.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 04-24-2019 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Actually, the AF just rescinded it's policy of requiring the CCAF degree for promotion to E-8 and higher. That's a good thing. Personally, I think the CCAF is a fricken joke. I got my "degree" in 1995 before I left active duty for the first time, then learned that my four year college would only give me credit for one history class and basic training (counted for phys ed). Also, it was embarrassing trying to explain to people how the CCAF isn't really a college, doesn't really have a campus, doesn't have any professors, and doesn't offer its own classes. They should just close it down and leave the college business to, you know, real colleges.
    Perhaps the point of CCAF is to encourage people into getting a college education. A better educated military force enables the military to implement technological changes faster and it encourages its members to introduce new ideas to the workplace.

As for the value of the CCAF, that's debatable. I know I was able to apply most of my college credits to the CCAF and the courses I took while in the AF were transferable to a four-year college. Transferring credits earned through CCAF depends upon what the traditional college will accept. There are some colleges that offer legitimate degrees through an external degree program where you can take correspondence courses, test subjects for credit (DANTES/CLEP), use your military/life experience to apply as credits toward the degree. I know that back in the 80s and 90s, the AF accepted the New York Regents External Degree Program degree for commissioning in the AF.

The CCAF is more like a certification program in a career field rather than a degree but I wouldn't disparage the CCAF because it still required the person to apply them-self to earn it. A CCAF degree or a certification in your field is better than just saying you've been working in field for X number of years. And let's be honest, most employers don't know the difference between a CCAF and a community college degree just as they don't know how much more valuable a degree from one college is over that from another college. The degree shows you've had the discipline to get an education and the value of the degree you earned is that it now opens doors that were otherwise closed to you. It doesn't say you can do the job you're applying for but it says you have the education necessary for that job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    FWIW, the military has done better about tying training to correlating college worthy credit via ACE coding which makes it easier to walk a military training course to an applicable college class.

Colleges / universities reject course material from all kinds of sources. My 'path' to a Bachelor's Degree included 7 different colleges and had George Mason not accepting some work from Gonzaga. Not accepting credits isn't necessarily because it was CCAF etc. but it may be tied to the eventual degree, or a limit on transferable credits.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    The CCAF is more like a certification program in a career field rather than a degree. And let's be honest, most employers don't know the difference between a CCAF and a community college degree just as they don't know how much more valuable a degree from one college is over that from another college. The degree shows you've had the discipline to get an education
    1. CCAF is not a certification program for a career field, CDCs (career development course) and OJT combined make up 100% of the certification program.

2. You're right, most employers don't know the difference between CCAF and another community college....until they ask. During my first post-USAF job interview the HR lady looked at my resume and asked, "It states here that you got your associates degree from the CCAF, which is at Maxwell AFB, AL, but your job history doesn't show where you were in AL to get this degree." Umm...well....um...it's not really a college, but they call themselves a college where you show them classes from real colleges and test results from CLEP, etc, and they combine them to give you a degree. HR lady, "So, Maxwell isn't a campus and you never took classes with this CCAF?" Yeah....something like that. Mind you, this was 1996, before you could take online classes.

3. A CCAF doesn't show that you have any discipline to get an education. As a matter of fact, you can CLEP and DANTES all of your requirements, and combined with tech training and BMT you have met all requirements. I guessed my way through the CLEP and DANTES, but actually took ONE History correspondence class on VHS. That's it....not much discipline involved!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, I've been gone 6 years and it's like I never left. FLAPS is still hatin on the CCAF. Just remember, if there ain't somebody with elbow patches on their sport jacket making bank on the textbook scam (change happy to glad and it's version 8)or pony-tailed Philosophy Professors shacked-up with a student? It ain't a real college.
    This calls for a delicate blend of psychology and extreme violence. Vyvyan, The Young Ones

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This is stupid. First off, in 2019, the bachelor's degree is the new high school diploma. What does that mean for the associate's degree? That it's worthless.

Especially the CCAF. I didn't have to do a damn thing to get it. I was able to get my CCAF in just over a year, because I met all the requirements. The wait was for the 5-level.

This is also a waste of money and resources. If I recall correctly, the Air Force opened up the CCAF to all service nearly a decade ago. Why not simply encourage Sailors to use that instead? If the Navy needs to "chip in" some cash, so that not all of the cost falls on the Air Force, it's still more cost effective than starting a whole new school that isn't even necessary.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Especially the CCAF. I didn't have to do a damn thing to get it. I was able to get my CCAF in just over a year, because I met all the requirements. The wait was for the 5-level.
    Did your USN training transfer or did you have to start it from scratch?
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.