Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Military service academies begin to follow transgender ban

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Well, that's not how many institutions feel about it, you DO have to celebrate it....or will at some point. Just take a look at how the military has embraced "fill in the blank" months, diversity days, pride days, etc. These are celebratory events where YOU ARE EXPECTED to support. So yeah, you are expected to celebrate it.
    I think the majority of the "fill in the blank" months are part of finding a way to include / acknowledge the backgrounds of a fair number of the military population. US and consequently military history (heroes, leaders etc.) is dominated by a particular demographic while the demographics of who is in the military changed. I don't find it threatening to me to recognize the cultures of those who serve who aren't the same demographic as me nor have I (before being an XO or CO) felt compelled to attend any of these events and rarely did.

I agree in treating everyone with respect, but many people have varying definitions of what that actually entails. To me, the respect ends at the very point I feel threatened (professionally, physically, politically, economically, etc). And yes, I am judgmental. We are all judgmental. To have an opposing opinion is to judge. I think perhaps we should insist on kindness vs respect.
    Fair point. I guess when I think of respect I am putting a lot of kindness in there, which isn't necessarily the same. I try to treat people as I would like to be treated, it is easy when you are interacting with someone you need something from, a sign of character when it is someone you need nothing from.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I think the majority of the "fill in the blank" months are part of finding a way to include / acknowledge the backgrounds of a fair number of the military population. US and consequently military history (heroes, leaders etc.) is dominated by a particular demographic while the demographics of who is in the military changed. I don't find it threatening to me to recognize the cultures of those who serve who aren't the same demographic as me nor have I (before being an XO or CO) felt compelled to attend any of these events and rarely did.

Fair point. I guess when I think of respect I am putting a lot of kindness in there, which isn't necessarily the same. I try to treat people as I would like to be treated, it is easy when you are interacting with someone you need something from, a sign of character when it is someone you need nothing from.

While the "fill in the blanks" months have never really offended me, per se, I did get annoyed whenever I was asked by my commander (female conservative) to attend some of the special events in her place. I'd give her this look, and she'd reply....yeah, yeah, I know. Neither of us really had a choice in 'embracing' these events. And just to be clear, it wasn't the people that offended us...all very nice, professional, competent, etc, but rather the persistent reminders that we are different colors/cultures. I've always believed that racism, prejudice will only be a thing of the past when we insist on recognizing each other as the equal human beings that we are. Like I used to remind others in the AF, "we all bleed blue." This is the thing about the DEM party that is so obvious, in that their platform will collapse without the division, victimhood, etc. That's all they have, all they run on.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 04-20-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Well, that's not how many institutions feel about it, you DO have to celebrate it....or will at some point. Just take a look at how the military has embraced "fill in the blank" months, diversity days, pride days, etc. These are celebratory events where YOU ARE EXPECTED to support. So yeah, you are expected to celebrate it.
    And if you don't, you get dinged on your eval, in the "EO" line..

BUT with for how many decades now, we've been holding them, HOW MUCH LONGER must we "Recognize' their backrounds??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    BUT with for how many decades now, we've been holding them, HOW MUCH LONGER must we "Recognize' their backrounds??
    That's the million dollar question. At what point can we finally say, "ok, we've 'arrived' and now have equality"? It's time to discontinue all events that focus on the accomplishments of minorities." I'm 100% convinced that many Progressives will never allow us to reach this point. Sounds strange, but it makes sense. Those who crave power will do anything to retain it.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    My point exactly.. The left keeps saying 'we want equality', but keeps pushing for special treatment for XYZ minority...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And if you don't, you get dinged on your eval, in the "EO" line..
    Have never seen that and honestly, as long as your EO line isn't a 1 or 2 ... one individual line doesn't matter, it is the overall average of the report compared against the summary average of the group for that period and the Reporting Senior's overall cumulative average. Generally speaking, the command will rank people from top to bottom, then based on the Reporting Senior's cumulative average distribute the markings in descending order ... EO has been quite commonly used as a way to move the member's individual average up or down to get it in line with the lineal ranking. I have only marked 3 people 5's in EO, my CMEO, Senior Enlisted and the XO ... almost everyone else gets 3's.

I would guess as long as they are in the military.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    While the "fill in the blanks" months have never really offended me, per se, I did get annoyed whenever I was asked by my commander (female conservative) to attend some of the special events in her place. I'd give her this look, and she'd reply....yeah, yeah, I know. Neither of us really had a choice in 'embracing' these events.
    Attending and embracing are not the same thing.

And just to be clear, it wasn't the people that offended us...all very nice, professional, competent, etc, but rather the persistent reminders that we are different colors/cultures. I've always believed that racism, prejudice will only be a thing of the past when we insist on recognizing each other as the equal human beings that we are. Like I used to remind others in the AF, "we all bleed blue." This is the thing about the DEM party that is so obvious, in that their platform will collapse without the division, victimhood, etc. That's all they have, all they run on.
    Concur, identity politics is about division not bringing us together.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I'm sorry they have pride days, etc. Are you forced to partake in anything? Are you forced to do anything for Black History month? For Asian Pacific heritage month? I've never attended anything of the sort in my 17 years of service, and guess what? No one cares, nor has it ever been held against me. I'm sorry that transgender people exist, man. It'll be okay, I promise. Just go to your safe space....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    I'm sorry they have pride days, etc. Are you forced to partake in anything? Are you forced to do anything for Black History month? For Asian Pacific heritage month? I've never attended anything of the sort in my 17 years of service, and guess what? No one cares, nor has it ever been held against me. I'm sorry that transgender people exist, man. It'll be okay, I promise. Just go to your safe space....
    The potluck for Asian Pacific Heritage month is the BOMB!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    The only point I am trying to make is that their very existence will perpetually keep us divided, even in a seemingly benign way. And yes, from a leadership point of view I was 'forced' to attend/smile/embrace. The only event I actually thought was productive was a food fest where there were multiple cultures together, including Italians. It was great to sample foods from around the world, but then again focus was on the food.

Yes, transgender people exist. What's your point, their existence qualifies them for military service? This is where we disagree. However, the difference between me and one who believes in safe spaces is that I will still treat those with an opposing opinion with kindness, whereas the safe space fan (aka, snowflake) will gather other snowflakes, don the ski masks, and violently riot and threaten people.
    Last edited by FLAPS; 04-22-2019 at 10:32 AM.