Thread: Home Electronics

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Home Electronics

Are there any "audiophiles" or "stereophiles" here?

I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my house to 4K, and need some advice.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Are there any "audiophiles" or "stereophiles" here?

I'm in the process of upgrading everything in my house to 4K, and need some advice.
    I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about it. My house if 4K, and I've done it all myself. What's up?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about it. My house if 4K, and I've done it all myself. What's up?
    Okay, for the living room:

1. I'm looking for a 5.1 receiver, but I'm also considering a 9.1 for a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up. In your opinion, is it worth it? Also, should I consider maybe a 7.1 receiver and a 5.1.2 set up?

2. For the children's rooms, I'm looking for either a 2.0 or 2.1 receiver. It doesn't have to pass 4K, as I plan on connecting everything else directly to the TV, but I do want it to have an HDMI port as, according to my understanding, Dolby TrueHD can only be transmitted through HDMI; otherwise it will be downgraded to Dolby Digitial. Here's the kicker... I want one that actually costs LESS than a 5.1 receiver. Do you know if this exists?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1. I'm looking for a 5.1 receiver, but I'm also considering a 9.1 for a 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos set up. In your opinion, is it worth it? Also, should I consider maybe a 7.1 receiver and a 5.1.2 set up?
    I'd go with the 7.1, for sure. Do you not have room for the 7.1 setup, or do you just prefer the 5.1. Either way, the 7.1 receiver will have more options for output (actual output/virtual output) and there really isn't much different in the prices anymore. I went with a Sony simply because it syncs up with all my other Sony devices.

2. For the children's rooms, I'm looking for either a 2.0 or 2.1 receiver. It doesn't have to pass 4K, as I plan on connecting everything else directly to the TV, but I do want it to have an HDMI port as, according to my understanding, Dolby TrueHD can only be transmitted through HDMI; otherwise it will be downgraded to Dolby Digitial. Here's the kicker... I want one that actually costs LESS than a 5.1 receiver. Do you know if this exists?
    Onkyo makes a really good 2.0/2.1 with HDMI, but it runs over $400. I found this one:
    Pioneer Elite Slim Receiver Audio & Video Component Receiver, Black (SX-S30)

It has 4 HDMI in/1 out and runs about $300 or so. Unfortunately, there isn't much cheaper than that. Hell, I went with a simple sound bar/sub in our bedroom and it was $250. They do make them with HDMI as well, but you're always going to get more out of the receiver/speakers. What are your plans for the speakers?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Also (and I apologize if you're aware of this already) when you set up your speakers in your living room, if you have a sub, make sure you go into the setup on your receiver and set the speaker size to SMALL. If you leave it on medium or large, then it will try to output base from the front/surround speakers. When you set them on SMALL, it pushes all base to the Sub. This will greatly improve the clearness/crispness of dialogue when watching movies.

The setting also depends on what you want. If you are going to have your sub off when watching TV, etc, then you could have them set on med/large to get some base out of the center/rear/etc.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Also (and I apologize if you're aware of this already) when you set up your speakers in your living room, if you have a sub, make sure you go into the setup on your receiver and set the speaker size to SMALL. If you leave it on medium or large, then it will try to output base from the front/surround speakers. When you set them on SMALL, it pushes all base to the Sub. This will greatly improve the clearness/crispness of dialogue when watching movies.

The setting also depends on what you want. If you are going to have your sub off when watching TV, etc, then you could have them set on med/large to get some base out of the center/rear/etc.
    Thanks!

I have another question about speaker set up:

So we'll use a watch with a square dial to describe my living room:

TV is at 12 o'clock.

I have a sectional couch (unfortunately, EVERY speaker placement diagram assumes that you just have one sofa). The sectional is flush against the corner so that the short side is along 3 o'clock and the long side is along 6 o'clock.

If I'm going with 5.1(.X), should I treat the long side of the sectional as if it were the sofa in the diagram and place the speakers accordingly?

Or is there a "fair" way to do this, do that the person sitting in the middle of the long side isn't hogging up all the surround sound?

I was thinking maybe mounting the four surround speakers to the corners of the wall and pointing them to the center of the living room.

What is the best way to do it?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks!

I have another question about speaker set up:

So we'll use a watch with a square dial to describe my living room:

TV is at 12 o'clock.

I have a sectional couch (unfortunately, EVERY speaker placement diagram assumes that you just have one sofa). The sectional is flush against the corner so that the short side is along 3 o'clock and the long side is along 6 o'clock.

If I'm going with 5.1(.X), should I treat the long side of the sectional as if it were the sofa in the diagram and place the speakers accordingly?

Or is there a "fair" way to do this, do that the person sitting in the middle of the long side isn't hogging up all the surround sound?

I was thinking maybe mounting the four surround speakers to the corners of the wall and pointing them to the center of the living room.

What is the best way to do it?
    This is an issue in pretty much every house where the living room setup isn't perfectly square/rectangular. Personally, I use the 6 O'clock position as the point to place the rear speakers. The only way I'd do it otherwise is if my main seat was at the 3 O'clock, but I don't think most places are like that. I listen to it/watch the majority, so guests/kids don't mind, and my wife would be happy with just TV sound, so I'm pretty centered on the TV. So I recommend making using the center of the long side. I imagine that's how most people suggest doing it, too.

The key to remember is that your main sound is coming out of the front. The rear/surround speakers are going to be background noise. Corners would work. I like to keep my front surround closer to the TV, but ultimately I don't think it makes a huge difference. Just make sure to set the distance in the receiver settings (can be done automatically if you have the little microphone that comes with the receiver, or manually if you so desire) as that will change things a little. For instance, the sound/signal has to travel a little bit further from the receiver to the corner of the room, then from the speaker to the center of the room, so sound will arrive at different times. Really no big deal. It probably doesn't make a difference, though we like to think it does when we tell our friends about it.

If all else fails, figure out a way to temp mount the speakers, put on a movie you like, and see if it sounds good. Then move them.