Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oscars

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oscars

The Oscars were borderline unwatchable last night. I kept watching, as one watches a train wreck, but I felt my annoyance growing all night. It was so transparent and predictable. I was able to pick the winner in EVERY single group, except one, as soon as they named the nominees. Are you the only minority in the group? You win. Is your character the only gay character in the group? You win. Are you the only "victimized" woman in the group? You win.

I wonder if, in 20 years, these winners will look back and feel patronized, wondering if they won because they were better or if they won because it was trendy and the Academy really didn't have another choice, without being called out for racist, sexist, or homophobic. I literally began to feel physically ill as the show went along.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    The Oscars were borderline unwatchable last night. I kept watching, as one watches a train wreck, but I felt my annoyance growing all night. It was so transparent and predictable. I was able to pick the winner in EVERY single group, except one, as soon as they named the nominees. Are you the only minority in the group? You win. Is your character the only gay character in the group? You win. Are you the only "victimized" woman in the group? You win.

I wonder if, in 20 years, these winners will look back and feel patronized, wondering if they won because they were better or if they won because it was trendy and the Academy really didn't have another choice, without being called out for racist, sexist, or homophobic. I literally began to feel physically ill as the show went along.
    I pretty much never watch awards shows...occasionally I'll watch the Grammy's just because they have some great music acts.

My wife really wanted to watch the Oscars last night, so I sat with her to watch it....she likes Gaga, and man did she ever belt out that song.

I'm not even a big movie buff, so the only movie I've seen of all those in the running was Bohemian Rhapsody. So, I don't really know all that much about the other movies.

Overall, it seemed the presenters and awardees were very mum on any political statements this year as I've heard people complain about that in the past. The English lady that won best actress seemed to be really caught off-guard that she won and had nothing prepared, etc...that was pretty funny. But, did not really hear many political statements except for Streisand.

My wife noticed something like what you are talking about...the seemingly forced diversity of winners/nominees. I dunno, I haven't seen any of the movies, so hard to say. Of course, the Academy has come under criticism before for having all-white winners, etc., so I'm sure they try to make sure that doesn't keep happening. I went to bed before the best movie award, but reports this morning were that Spike Lee was upset that he didn't win it.

I was surprised to learn that after 7 nominations, Glenn Close has never won an Oscar...I thought she had a few by now. I never get the whole awards thing, but I guess it's important to them. I suppose it's validation.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't pay too much attention to the Oscars because the studios, production companies, and actors campaign for their films to win instead of letting the Academy members make a decision on their own. I know this sound naive but as far as I'm concerned the only opinion on a movie that counts is mine. If you have a different opinion that's okay because everyone has their likes and dislikes.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    That's why i won't Watch any of these 'awards shows'. They've become nothing more than a SJW happy fest, of back slaps and kissing up to what ever the newest 'victim group' happens to be.

I doubt it. Their 'victimhood' IMO gives them blinders.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I quit watching awards shows years ago, and especially won't start again now that they've gotten so political. I just can't stand (as a conservative) being insulted by people who make a living from people like me who watch their movies.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    I quit watching awards shows years ago, and especially won't start again now that they've gotten so political.
    It wasn't political, other than Spike Lee, and some comment about Mel Gibson (guess that was the best Trevor Noah could do).

I just can't stand (as a conservative) being insulted by people who make a living from people like me who watch their movies.
    I like watching their movies. I don't even mind watching a movie that is "political" and opposed to my views. I just don't care to listen to the views of the individual actors, liberal, conservative, or other.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I pretty much never watch awards shows...occasionally I'll watch the Grammy's just because they have some great music acts.
    I know I'm aging because I don't even know any of the musical acts anymore.

My wife really wanted to watch the Oscars last night, so I sat with her to watch it....she likes Gaga, and man did she ever belt out that song.
    I didn't like her, originally, but she has definitely become more than just a Madonna clone.

I'm not even a big movie buff, so the only movie I've seen of all those in the running was Bohemian Rhapsody. So, I don't really know all that much about the other movies.
    I had only seen Black Panther, which was no better than any other comic book movie, yet "somehow" got a ton of nominations. I can't bring myself to watch a Spike Lee movie, and I'm definitely not big on foreign language films, so I really didn't care.

Overall, it seemed the presenters and awardees were very mum on any political statements this year as I've heard people complain about that in the past.
    Yeah, other than Spike Lee and Trevor Noah, and some little joke by two presenters saying "they thought we couldn't swim" or something like that.
    The English lady that won best actress seemed to be really caught off-guard that she won and had nothing prepared, etc...that was pretty funny.
    She was definitely the best part of the entire night. She was the only one that actually sounded authentic.

My wife noticed something like what you are talking about...the seemingly forced diversity of winners/nominees. I dunno, I haven't seen any of the movies, so hard to say. Of course, the Academy has come under criticism before for having all-white winners, etc., so I'm sure they try to make sure that doesn't keep happening.
    I've never really understood how the Academy picks it's winners, anyway. I've probably only ever liked about 10% of the Best Picture movies.[QUOTE ] I went to bed before the best movie award, but reports this morning were that Spike Lee was upset that he didn't win it. [/QUOTE] Doesn't surprise me. That's pretty much his schtick is the angry, oppressed, militant black man. Though he did lose to a film that was about a black man in the south in the 60s or something, so not sure what he's angry about.

was surprised to learn that after 7 nominations, Glenn Close has never won an Oscar...I thought she had a few by now.
    Yeah, I would have guessed she had one or two

I never get the whole awards thing, but I guess it's important to them. I suppose it's validation.
    Kind of like military awards.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I had only seen Black Panther, which was no better than any other comic book movie, yet "somehow" got a ton of nominations. I can't bring myself to watch a Spike Lee movie, and I'm definitely not big on foreign language films, so I really didn't care.
    IO the main reason it got so many nominations, was because it celebrated 'black power'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    IO the main reason it got so many nominations, was because it celebrated 'black power'.
    I went into Black Panther expecting it to be another over hyped mediocre Marvel movie, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I just wish movies could be produced and judged on their true merits and entertainment value, not how they can check another block for the SJW agenda...much like the new Bat Woman who we must know just happens to be a lesbian.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    I went into Black Panther expecting it to be another over hyped mediocre Marvel movie, but was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I just wish movies could be produced and judged on their true merits and entertainment value, not how they can check another block for the SJW agenda...much like the new Bat Woman who we must know just happens to be a lesbian.
    I literally (and I use "literally" in the literal sense, not in the metaphorical sense) dozed off a couple times during Black Panther. However, I've never been one who cares about the "art" of a TV, just as I've never been about the art of a song. In music, I like a good melody, memorable lyrics, etc. Basically, I like pop and am not ashamed. Same goes for film. I don't want to have to think deeply about, or interpret, the meaning of a movie. I want a song to make me tap my foot, and I want a movie that with big explosion and witty banter. If I had my choice, Bruce Willis and Mel Gibson would win the best actor Oscar every year. Take that however you want to determine my credibility on the subject.

I like what I like, and am not going to try to become more "cultured" in order to be able to enjoy a boring movie.