Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Oscars

  1. #21
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I don't pay attention to what Rotten Tomatoes thinks. I usually go to the IMBD to get a synopsis of the movie to see if it would interest me. No use wasting good money on a bad movie. I've read a number of articles listing the best movies of the year or the best movies by genre and I don't agree with a lot of them. I know what I like and it doesn't bother me if others don't like them.

    I recently saw Homes & Waston without looking at IMBD. The movie was one of the worst ones I ever saw. On the bright side, I saw it at the Navy Theater so admission was free and the popcorn and soda I bought tasted good.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I don't pay attention to what Rotten Tomatoes thinks. I usually go to the IMBD to get a synopsis of the movie to see if it would interest me. No use wasting good money on a bad movie. I've read a number of articles listing the best movies of the year or the best movies by genre and I don't agree with a lot of them. I know what I like and it doesn't bother me if others don't like them.

    I recently saw Homes & Waston without looking at IMBD. The movie was one of the worst ones I ever saw. On the bright side, I saw it at the Navy Theater so admission was free and the popcorn and soda I bought tasted good.
    I'm curious as to what percentage of movie goers actually pay attention to the reviews, especially from a site like Rotten Tomatoes. It's seems to me that the site itself has become its own entity, and people go to it just to see if the majority agree with their view of it. I see more arguments on social media about the review of a movie more than the actual movie itself.

  3. #23
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I'm curious as to what percentage of movie goers actually pay attention to the reviews, especially from a site like Rotten Tomatoes. It's seems to me that the site itself has become its own entity, and people go to it just to see if the majority agree with their view of it. I see more arguments on social media about the review of a movie more than the actual movie itself.
    Using Rotten Tomatoes or any other set of reviews is probably subjective based on so many different things I would guess most people know if they want to see a movie or not regardless of reviews, it is hard to evaluate. I heard that Holmes and Watson was really bad, I already wasn't planning on seeing it and didn't go see it. I had heard Batman vs Superman wasn't great, wanted to see it, saw it ... really liked it.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Using Rotten Tomatoes or any other set of reviews is probably subjective based on so many different things I would guess most people know if they want to see a movie or not regardless of reviews, it is hard to evaluate. I heard that Holmes and Watson was really bad, I already wasn't planning on seeing it and didn't go see it. I had heard Batman vs Superman wasn't great, wanted to see it, saw it ... really liked it.
    I think that just by the nature of the job, movie critics are going to be (or should be) paying attention to the little things (artistic or otherwise) that the average, and majority , of viewers pay no attention to.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I'm curious as to what percentage of movie goers actually pay attention to the reviews, especially from a site like Rotten Tomatoes. It's seems to me that the site itself has become its own entity, and people go to it just to see if the majority agree with their view of it. I see more arguments on social media about the review of a movie more than the actual movie itself.
    I pay more attention to reviews from say the redbox site, or from the library, than i do rotten tomatoes.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I pay more attention to reviews from say the redbox site, or from the library, than i do rotten tomatoes.
    I try to avoid most reviews, as I don't like how they tend to be full of spoilers. I'd rather go into a film blind, usually just based on the trailer.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Reviews are funny things nowadays and seem to be more about the reviewer showing how smart, funny, clever they can be rather than about the actual movie, book, product being reviewed.Ok, professional reviewers that work for a publication is one thing...I guess they have some credibility, although, I don't read movie reviews, like you guys, that person's opinion does not relate to whether or not I'll enjoy a movie. We watch for different things.There is a big on-line reviewer deal....with like Amazon, Yelp, Goodreads, Instagram where reviewers build followers because their reviews are funny or clever or maybe even useful...I suppose they somehow get compensated for their reviews maybe or get free products if they will review them. Companies/authors do this because the reviewer has a large following, so it's a bit of free advertising/marketing. Some of them, my God, write small novels of reviews....who has the time?I remember talking to a winemaker about a recent review he got in a wine magazine and yes, he had to send in his wine and a check for $250 for them to review his wine. I told him I would've done it for half price. It seems in that sort of business 'positive reviewers' probably make more money than negative ones....who wants to hire someone to destroy your product? Kind of like ISO audits, I guess...companies hire an accrediting agency to audit and accredit them....that agency can be 'easy' or 'hard' and costs can vary. I see it as a similar thing...ultimately the customer will determine how important credibility is, I guess, or whether they just need that 'accredit' stamp to satisfy their own auditors..
    The Voice of Reason

  8. #28
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    807
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Reviews are funny things nowadays and seem to be more about the reviewer showing how smart, funny, clever they can be rather than about the actual movie, book, product being reviewed.Ok, professional reviewers that work for a publication is one thing...I guess they have some credibility, although, I don't read movie reviews, like you guys, that person's opinion does not relate to whether or not I'll enjoy a movie. We watch for different things.There is a big on-line reviewer deal....with like Amazon, Yelp, Goodreads, Instagram where reviewers build followers because their reviews are funny or clever or maybe even useful...I suppose they somehow get compensated for their reviews maybe or get free products if they will review them. Companies/authors do this because the reviewer has a large following, so it's a bit of free advertising/marketing. Some of them, my God, write small novels of reviews....who has the time?I remember talking to a winemaker about a recent review he got in a wine magazine and yes, he had to send in his wine and a check for $250 for them to review his wine. I told him I would've done it for half price. It seems in that sort of business 'positive reviewers' probably make more money than negative ones....who wants to hire someone to destroy your product? Kind of like ISO audits, I guess...companies hire an accrediting agency to audit and accredit them....that agency can be 'easy' or 'hard' and costs can vary. I see it as a similar thing...ultimately the customer will determine how important credibility is, I guess, or whether they just need that 'accredit' stamp to satisfy their own auditors..
    Your mention of a magazine reviewing a bottle of wine for $250 is really a scam committed on the person paying the fee and the people reading the article. I don't doubt there are some movie producers who pay reviewers to post favorable reviews on their websites, blogs, print media and that's a scam as well.

    I see movie trailers on TV or in the theater and that's where my interest in them begins. I'll read the synopsis on IMDB to get the plot of the movie to see if it's worth my time. Friends are the best source of information and they will tell me if they enjoyed a movie and that carries more weight than a reviewer/critic.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,559
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Your mention of a magazine reviewing a bottle of wine for $250 is really a scam committed on the person paying the fee and the people reading the article. I don't doubt there are some movie producers who pay reviewers to post favorable reviews on their websites, blogs, print media and that's a scam as well.
    Well, to be fair, he is paying them to review his wine...not necessarily a favorable review.

    The reviewer has to protect their reputation as it is what gives them the ability to have their reviews worth anything.

    So, it's less of a scam, but is a curious business model that does raise eyebrows, for sure. I think like anything...those more serious wine people know which reviewers are more legit than others regardless of how they get paid.

    I see movie trailers on TV or in the theater and that's where my interest in them begins. I'll read the synopsis on IMDB to get the plot of the movie to see if it's worth my time. Friends are the best source of information and they will tell me if they enjoyed a movie and that carries more weight than a reviewer/critic.
    Yes, I agree...like I said, movie critics watch for completely different things than I do in a movie.
    The Voice of Reason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •