Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Privatized Housing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Privatized Housing

I see in the news where there are problems at some bases with the privatized housing, i.e poorly kept, insect infestations, etc. Complaints of lack of accountability. Any thoughts?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I see in the news where there are problems at some bases with the privatized housing, i.e poorly kept, insect infestations, etc. Complaints of lack of accountability. Any thoughts?
    I never cared for the idea of it being privatized. First, the contractor was supposed to be responsible for taking care of front yards (mowing, etc) as it was part of the contract. However, there were several times they wouldn't make it around and the tenants would still be the ones getting in trouble for it. Also, there was also the fact that the housing had to be maintained at a certain capacity, so if it wasn't then retirees were allowed to live in them and if it still wasn't then civilians could be allowed on base. I don't know if that ever happened anywhere, but I don't like the idea of it.

Also, maintaining the home (as you mentioned) became a problem. People could no longer just run down to the self help store and get stuff to take care of minor issues. It all fell under the contract, and if a tenant decided to "fog" the house, it could be considered breach of contract. We would get calls all the time about electrical problems, bugs, etc, and all we could do was give them the number for the contractor. Very frustrating.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've never dealt with or lived in privatized housing but my first reaction would be if this is contracted government housing who in the military is overseeing the performance of the contract?

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I've never dealt with or lived in privatized housing but my first reaction would be if this is contracted government housing who in the military is overseeing the performance of the contract?
    You still have the base housing office. And the contracting office still oversees everything, though there's not a whole lot they can do.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    You still have the base housing office. And the contracting office still oversees everything, though there's not a whole lot they can do.
    If there's not a lot the contracting office can't do a whole lot the it sounds like the contract wasn't properly written to address the remedies for when the vendor isn't in compliance with the contract.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If there's not a lot the contracting office can't do a whole lot the it sounds like the contract wasn't properly written to address the remedies for when the vendor isn't in compliance with the contract.
    What makes it difficult is that contractor has no interest in anything military related, other than taking the money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This privatized housing is a different animal. I think that the contractor owns or leases the housing. They are paid by the member's BAH by some type of allotment system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Privatized housing came in after my time; but from what I know about it, I doubt if the local contracting office has much to do with it.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    Privatized housing came in after my time; but from what I know about it, I doubt if the local contracting office has much to do with it.
    They just oversee it, making sure it's adhered to, but they don't have anything to do with writing it. I'm fairly certain there's a specific contract Air Force wide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I had to look it up but the program is handle by AFCEC.