Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Privatized Housing

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I enjoyed my time there quite a lot. I worked on ACC staff, so did not have all this dog and pony stuff....I worked 1/4 mile from the marina, so could bring my boat to work with me...get off work at 3:30, have the wife grab bait and meet me and we'd be on the water by 3:45. During the summer, it stays light to 10:00 pm, so we could get in a good day of fishing during the week...and we were out on the bay almost every weekend during the summer.

Also, Virginia is a nice location for day or weekend trips...D.C., NYC, Phil. Carolinas, Atlanta, etc. all reasonable drives.
    Some day I hope to do an East Coast vacation. Closest I've been is staying at Norfolk NAS overnight as a stopover on my way to somewhere a little warmer. That's when I realized how great the quality of life stuff was in the AF, as the Navy dorm room had 3 beds in one room with zero space.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    SECAF and CSAF have directed all wing commanders to conduct a 100% review of military housing.

Our wing is having a mandatory military housing all-call this week.

I'd say it's getting attention, focus appears to be health and safety concerns..

I lived in privatized housing once...and it was a good experience. Also, the new houses that were built were by far the nicest ones I've seen in my career...that was almost 10 years ago though. At our base, active duty, retirees, govt. civilians and even base contractors are allowed to live in base housing. I don't think any non-base-affiliated civilians are allowed, but have heard of that at other installations.
    Stars and Stripes is reporting bases in the Far East are going door-to-door and holding town meetings to get feedback on the condition of base housing. This is also being done in Europe and they have a March 15th date to complete their survey.

https://www.stripes.com/news/officials-knock-on-doors-to-ask-pacific-base-residents-about-housing-issues-1.569740

https://www.stripes.com/news/housing...urope-1.569581

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Some day I hope to do an East Coast vacation.
    Go in the fall.

I've never been to Boston and that is on my list...I don't know how I've never made it there because I grew up in NJ, not too far, and had assignments in NJ and VA...been all the way up Niagara Falls, Montreal, just never managed to get to Boston, I really should have.
    The Voice of Reason

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Go in the fall.

I've never been to Boston and that is on my list...I don't know how I've never made it there because I grew up in NJ, not too far, and had assignments in NJ and VA...been all the way up Niagara Falls, Montreal, just never managed to get to Boston, I really should have.
    Would love to, as well as Rhode Island, Maine, etc. Also all the landmarks in the region. I don't think I'd want to live there, but I definitely want to see it. Plus, I'd love to do a lot of yard sales, auctions, etc., in the area as there would be opportunities to get things you'd never find on the West Coast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Some day I hope to do an East Coast vacation. Closest I've been is staying at Norfolk NAS overnight as a stopover on my way to somewhere a little warmer. That's when I realized how great the quality of life stuff was in the AF, as the Navy dorm room had 3 beds in one room with zero space.
    I stayed in VOQ at Millington NAS once and I know what you mean.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I stayed in VOQ at Millington NAS once and I know what you mean.
    I was shocked because we never had more than 4 or 5 people in an entire tent downrange. But I guess if you spend any length of time on a ship, simply sharing a dorm room at home station with 2 others is not a big deal.