Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Privatized Housing

  1. #21
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I'm sure there are a number of Installation Commanders scurrying to figure out what to do now that Congress is looking into it.
    SECAF and CSAF have directed all wing commanders to conduct a 100% review of military housing.

    Our wing is having a mandatory military housing all-call this week.

    I'd say it's getting attention, focus appears to be health and safety concerns..


    I lived in privatized housing once...and it was a good experience. Also, the new houses that were built were by far the nicest ones I've seen in my career...that was almost 10 years ago though. At our base, active duty, retirees, govt. civilians and even base contractors are allowed to live in base housing. I don't think any non-base-affiliated civilians are allowed, but have heard of that at other installations.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 02-20-2019 at 08:48 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I had to look it up but the program is handle by AFCEC.
    Yep, and base housing office and all other things CE (a lot of the contracting) falls under AFCEC.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    At our base, active duty, retirees, govt. civilians and even base contractors are allowed to live in base housing. I don't think any non-base-affiliated civilians are allowed, but have heard of that at other installations.
    I'm pretty sure that if occupancy was to drop below a certain point that non-base-affiliated people are next in line. It'll probably never happen, as it's pretty easy to maintain the numbers needed. The non-affiliated would all have to go through a security check if it got that far.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I lived in privatized housing at Langley, and for the most part they did a pretty good job in responding to the few maintenance calls I had. The house itself was built in 1922 (I think), and had recently been renovated. With the fireplace and hardwood floors, I must admit it still ranks as one of the nicest homes I've ever lived in. That said, my only real suggestion (not a complaint since I knew this going in) is they stop pinning the rental cost to your rank. I lived in a twin house as a Major and my next door neighbor was a MSgt. Great neighbor, of course, but I don't think it was fair to charge him so much less for the same house/floor plan. Instead, they should base costs on the market value...regardless of rank.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I'm pretty sure that if occupancy was to drop below a certain point that non-base-affiliated people are next in line. It'll probably never happen, as it's pretty easy to maintain the numbers needed. The non-affiliated would all have to go through a security check if it got that far.
    I think it is market-dependent, some locations base housing is more attractive than others. I think they are cutting back on what BAH covers as far as off-base, ie 85% of costs vs 100%, making on base more attractive in high cost areas....but yes, there is a security check
    The Voice of Reason

  6. #26
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    I lived in privatized housing at Langley, and for the most part they did a pretty good job in responding to the few maintenance calls I had. The house itself was built in 1922 (I think), and had recently been renovated. With the fireplace and hardwood floors, I must admit it still ranks as one of the nicest homes I've ever lived in. That said, my only real suggestion (not a complaint since I knew this going in) is they stop pinning the rental cost to your rank. I lived in a twin house as a Major and my next door neighbor was a MSgt. Great neighbor, of course, but I don't think it was fair to charge him so much less for the same house/floor plan. Instead, they should base costs on the market value...regardless of rank.
    I was at Langley, too, in Bethel Housing...and was in ‘Chief Housing’ while across the street SrA lived in the same floor plan. I think we had some upgrades like nice tile flooring vs commercial square tiles. But, we got offered really nice new housing which were really nice houses....I ended up retiring before I could move in.
    The Voice of Reason

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I was at Langley, too,
    I'm sorry. I can only imagine what that's like. Ramstein is the only thing that I can think of that compares, with 5 different HQ on one base, as well as being THE thoroughfare for everything. For Gods sake, don't let a leaf blow onto the road, otherwise the street sweeper becomes the top priority on base. I can't imagine how many man-hours were wasted for beatification. And I don't just mean the normal base beautification stuff. I mean the excess beautification stuff. At least Ramstein didn't have the traffic, though, that Langley and the surrounding nightmare has.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    120
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Q

    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I'm sorry. I can only imagine what that's like. Ramstein is the only thing that I can think of that compares, with 5 different HQ on one base, as well as being THE thoroughfare for everything. For Gods sake, don't let a leaf blow onto the road, otherwise the street sweeper becomes the top priority on base. I can't imagine how many man-hours were wasted for beatification. And I don't just mean the normal base beautification stuff. I mean the excess beautification stuff. At least Ramstein didn't have the traffic, though, that Langley and the surrounding nightmare has.

    I thought Langley was pretty nice, especially being right on the water. Living on base, I either fished next to the on-base marina, or I took my Kayak out for a ride. Also, unlike my base cleanup days as an Amn at Ramstein, I never once saw uniformed people on cleanup duty at Langley. Perhaps this went on in the 1st FW's area, but not anywhere around the ACC campus. Traffic only sucked for those who had to commute, especially through the tunnels coming from Norfolk. I walked to work, which was one of the few benefits for forking over my entire BAH for housing.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    I thought Langley was pretty nice, especially being right on the water. Living on base, I either fished next to the on-base marina, or I took my Kayak out for a ride. Also, unlike my base cleanup days as an Amn at Ramstein, I never once saw uniformed people on cleanup duty at Langley. Perhaps this went on in the 1st FW's area, but not anywhere around the ACC campus. Traffic only sucked for those who had to commute, especially through the tunnels coming from Norfolk. I walked to work, which was one of the few benefits for forking over my entire BAH for housing.
    Some people love it, some people hate it. Most of the people I knew from there lived off base and had a 1 to 2 hour commute and all talked about the constant dog and pony shows. Most loved the area for off duty stuff, just hated it for work purposes.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Some people love it, some people hate it. Most of the people I knew from there lived off base and had a 1 to 2 hour commute and all talked about the constant dog and pony shows. Most loved the area for off duty stuff, just hated it for work purposes.
    I enjoyed my time there quite a lot. I worked on ACC staff, so did not have all this dog and pony stuff....I worked 1/4 mile from the marina, so could bring my boat to work with me...get off work at 3:30, have the wife grab bait and meet me and we'd be on the water by 3:45. During the summer, it stays light to 10:00 pm, so we could get in a good day of fishing during the week...and we were out on the bay almost every weekend during the summer.

    Also, Virginia is a nice location for day or weekend trips...D.C., NYC, Phil. Carolinas, Atlanta, etc. all reasonable drives.
    The Voice of Reason

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •