Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Privatized Housing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    This privatized housing is a different animal. I think that the contractor owns or leases the housing. They are paid by the member's BAH by some type of allotment system.
    It would seem if the housing is contracted by the military then there has to be some process for the renters (military members) to address problems to the company owning the houses. Depending upon the state, there is a contractual obligation between the owner and the tenant meaning the tenants have rights to live in a habitable home and the owner must ensure the habitability of the home. Even though the privatized housing is contracted with the federal government (military) I don't think that changes the civilian company's obligations to adhere to state law.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    You still have the base housing office. And the contracting office still oversees everything, though there's not a whole lot they can do.
    I had to look it up but the program is handle by AFCEC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    It would seem if the housing is contracted by the military then there has to be some process for the renters (military members) to address problems to the company owning the houses. Depending upon the state, there is a contractual obligation between the owner and the tenant meaning the tenants have rights to live in a habitable home and the owner must ensure the habitability of the home. Even though the privatized housing is contracted with the federal government (military) I don't think that changes the civilian company's obligations to adhere to state law.
    That is possible, but I doubt if the State would try to enforce a federal program. Also, these are on federal property.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If there weren't some kind of enforcement provisions, originally, it's pretty hard to make changes at this point. It's too bad there wasn't some kind of incentive built in, i.e. hold out a percentage of the BAH and not pay it until after some kind of annual performance appraisal. That works on other types of contacts.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That is possible, but I doubt if the State would try to enforce a federal program. Also, these are on federal property.
    retiredAFcivvy referenced AFCEC and I followed the links at the website. There is a Resident Bill of Rights and among the items included in it are:

1. The right to resolve disputes according to the dispute resolution procedures outlined in the tenant lease.

2. Residents have the right to receive maintenance services from the Project Owner while living in privatized housing to include"
    a. The right to timely, courteous and responsive customer service, maintenance and repair performed by qualified maintenance performers.
    b. The right to immediate attention from the maintenance staff for emergency service calls, especially those for structural, utility or mechanical problems that could cause loss of life or property or serious damage affecting health, safety or security.

The Installation Commander can also take action on the privatized housing matters.

Here's the link for the Resident's Bill of Rights.

https://www.afcec.af.mil/Portals/17/...130411-036.pdf

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I never cared for the idea of it being privatized. First, the contractor was supposed to be responsible for taking care of front yards (mowing, etc) as it was part of the contract. However, there were several times they wouldn't make it around and the tenants would still be the ones getting in trouble for it. Also, there was also the fact that the housing had to be maintained at a certain capacity, so if it wasn't then retirees were allowed to live in them and if it still wasn't then civilians could be allowed on base. I don't know if that ever happened anywhere, but I don't like the idea of it.

Also, maintaining the home (as you mentioned) became a problem. People could no longer just run down to the self help store and get stuff to take care of minor issues. It all fell under the contract, and if a tenant decided to "fog" the house, it could be considered breach of contract. We would get calls all the time about electrical problems, bugs, etc, and all we could do was give them the number for the contractor. Very frustrating.
    I've heard similar complaints. Not just on maintenance or repairs, but the contractors "Fixing" up a house next door and leaving trash in YOUR yard, that you'd then get bitched at for.

You still have the base housing office. And the contracting office still oversees everything, though there's not a whole lot they can do.
    If there's not a lot the contracting office can't do a whole lot the it sounds like the contract wasn't properly written to address the remedies for when the vendor isn't in compliance with the contract.
    Exactly, what's the point in having a contract, if you can't do much about it when the CONTRACTOR breaks his contract??

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The military usually works within the framework of state laws so they could either allow disputes be settled at the state or federal level. Concerning renter rights, I could see where the states would be interested in what is going on in their states regardless of whether the housing is rented to a civilian or a federal agency. Having different standards for people renting so close to each other would lead to would promote a lessening of renter's or owner's rights.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I've heard similar complaints. Not just on maintenance or repairs, but the contractors "Fixing" up a house next door and leaving trash in YOUR yard, that you'd then get bitched at for.

Exactly, what's the point in having a contract, if you can't do much about it when the CONTRACTOR breaks his contract??
    If a contractor breaks his contract what punishment does he receives and who delivers it? From a previous post linking to the Resident's Bill of Rights, it appears the Installation Commander is the co-chair of the installation's Management Review Committee overseeing the privatized housing agreement.

If there are problems of the privatized housing contractors not maintaining the housing under their contract then the onus would also be on the Management Review Committee.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    retiredAFcivvy referenced AFCEC and I followed the links at the website. There is a Resident Bill of Rights and among the items included in it are:

1. The right to resolve disputes according to the dispute resolution procedures outlined in the tenant lease.

2. Residents have the right to receive maintenance services from the Project Owner while living in privatized housing to include"
    a. The right to timely, courteous and responsive customer service, maintenance and repair performed by qualified maintenance performers.
    b. The right to immediate attention from the maintenance staff for emergency service calls, especially those for structural, utility or mechanical problems that could cause loss of life or property or serious damage affecting health, safety or security.

The Installation Commander can also take action on the privatized housing matters.

Here's the link for the Resident's Bill of Rights.

https://www.afcec.af.mil/Portals/17/...130411-036.pdf
    Sounds like maybe there are some remedies and just not being utilized. With all the attention this is getting that might start happening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like maybe there are some remedies and just not being utilized. With all the attention this is getting that might start happening.
    I'm sure there are a number of Installation Commanders scurrying to figure out what to do now that Congress is looking into it.