Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Thoughts on Retirement

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I think our base tried something like that using the credit card for payment. It apparently didn't fly as they still have COCESS.
    I thought cards were pretty much mandatory, now. I know they were for us. Might have been a base/wing thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I thought cards were pretty much mandatory, now. I know they were for us. Might have been a base/wing thing.
    I think they are for anything under $25K. If I remember, one of the problems with CE was that it would require so many folks to have one that the centralized COCESS process was more efficient. Also, if a base had a COCESS, they were the mandatory source. So to start another system it would require them to not renew the contract and start from scratch. To me that would be quite a bit of risk. But, I'm not a big risk taker.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I think they are for anything under $25K. If I remember, one of the problems with CE was that it would require so many folks to have one that the centralized COCESS process was more efficient. Also, if a base had a COCESS, they were the mandatory source. So to start another system it would require them to not renew the contract and start from scratch. To me that would be quite a bit of risk. But, I'm not a big risk taker.
    By the time I retired (2015) there were only 2 or 3 people in the squadron with a card. But you're right, 10-15 years ago they gave one to at least every shop lead, just asking for problems. Oh well, those worries are long gone. Today all I have to worry about is if I should shovel the driveway before or after Judge Judy.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Oh well, those worries are long gone. Today all I have to worry about is if I should shovel the driveway before or after Judge Judy.
    These old war stories, from your days of managing the base paperclip store, must've been almost as exciting as watching the snow melt.....No wonder you're so happy to be retired.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-19-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    These old war stories, from your days of managing the base paperclip store, must've been almost as exciting as watching the snow melt.....No wonder you're so happy to be retired.
    Nope. It wasn't the base paperclip store. That was far too important. This was the squadron paperclip store. It had it's ups and downs. Everything that happened on base, as far as maintenance, came through us. However, the job did definitely lose it's luster after all of the changes were made.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    C'mon Rainy, the Base Paper Clip Store was run by GSA/Ability One (another Government program).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As far as the OP, been in for 27+ years E1-E7 and O1E to O5. Due to assume command of a unit this summer.

I could retire now and based on investments I started when I was an E4 in 1994 I could opt to not work and not really need to alter our standard of living. I enjoy what I do, the people I work with and my daughter gets amazing medical care for some issues she had when we adopted her and that have developed since then so I have opted to not retire just yet. In all likelihood my CO tour will be my last, regardless of if I am competitive of O6 or not. Am hoping to get on with the BSA as a professional Scouter or a teacher when I retire.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    As far as the OP, been in for 27+ years E1-E7 and O1E to O5. Due to assume command of a unit this summer.

I could retire now and based on investments I started when I was an E4 in 1994 I could opt to not work and not really need to alter our standard of living. I enjoy what I do, the people I work with and my daughter gets amazing medical care for some issues she had when we adopted her and that have developed since then so I have opted to not retire just yet. In all likelihood my CO tour will be my last, regardless of if I am competitive of O6 or not. Am hoping to get on with the BSA as a professional Scouter or a teacher when I retire.
    Of all the reasons to stay, medical care is amazing. I was lucky enough to have children who didn't have any major medical issues. Even now, Tricare Retiree is pretty great. Express Scripts is the way to go if you aren't near a base. $7 prescriptions that show up in the mail. And dental/vision got much better this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You obviously have done very well in your career. I remember a while back you talked about your daughter's medical needs. Glad she is able to get the medical care she needs. Yes, health coverage is extremely important. BSA is a great organization, I have 4 grandsons in scouting, the oldest just completed his community service project for eagle (I suspect you are also an Eagle Scout)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

You were wise to start investing so early in your career. I started when I was a SSgt in 1984 by opening an IRA account with the Bank of America, at 11% interest locked-in for five years, and then rolled it over to a mutual fund in the stock market. I also opened another mutual fund and contributed monthly to it as well. After 30 plus years, I have enough in them so I never have to work again. The old adage "People don't plan to fail; they fail to plan" rings true. My goal, after my first enlistment, was to by a home in Coronado, Ca., my hometown, and I worked towards that goal. I own a condo (with a large mortgage) and between my military retirement and social security I have more than enough money to live on. Other than my mortgage, I have only the usual utility bills and insurance to worry about. In a couple of years I'll have to do mandatory withdrawals from my IRA meaning I have more disposable income to spend or invest. All that early planning and investing have paid off in that I haven't had to work in the last 16 years.