Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Thoughts on Retirement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Thoughts on Retirement

    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Do you have an interesting topic you'd like to discuss?
    "Interesting" is pretty subjective. Let's see. I'm retired so not a lot going on. We have about 2 ft of snow right now. I've picked the right curtain for the "Big Deal" 3 days in a row, and am through the first 8 episodes of season 1 for our Game of Thrones rewatch before the final season starts. I'm thinking I should probably shovel, but then I say to myself "I've got nowhere to be, it'll melt sooner or later."

    Once the weather clears, I need to get my fishing license so I can take the boat out. It's a great time of year for fishing. Some big Rainbows and German Brown's out there waiting.

    Other than that, not much going on. Life is damn enjoyable. No news on my TV for about 7 months now, I think. Shutdowns, emergencies, all sorts of stuff, yet my life continues with all the "important" stuff having zero impact on my daily life.

    I suggest, again, that everyone retire and quit working as soon as it's financially possible (not rich financially possible but "we can get by" financially possible" in order to enjoy every moment with your family because spending time with them now is far more important that living big 20 years from now.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    "Interesting" is pretty subjective. Let's see. I'm retired so not a lot going on. We have about 2 ft of snow right now. I've picked the right curtain for the "Big Deal" 3 days in a row, and am through the first 8 episodes of season 1 for our Game of Thrones rewatch before the final season starts. I'm thinking I should probably shovel, but then I say to myself "I've got nowhere to be, it'll melt sooner or later."

    Once the weather clears, I need to get my fishing license so I can take the boat out. It's a great time of year for fishing. Some big Rainbows and German Brown's out there waiting.

    Other than that, not much going on. Life is damn enjoyable. No news on my TV for about 7 months now, I think. Shutdowns, emergencies, all sorts of stuff, yet my life continues with all the "important" stuff having zero impact on my daily life.

    I suggest, again, that everyone retire and quit working as soon as it's financially possible (not rich financially possible but "we can get by" financially possible" in order to enjoy every moment with your family because spending time with them now is far more important that living big 20 years from now.
    Sounds like Buddihst-Hippie nonsense or you have experienced a loss of purpose.

    Maybe try getting off your ass, clearing the driveway & stop lecturing the rest of us about how boring we are.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-15-2019 at 08:54 PM.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Sounds like Buddihst-Hippie nonsense or you have experienced a loss of purpose.

    Maybe try getting off your ass & stop lecturing the rest of us about how boring we are.
    If spending the majority of my life hunting and fishing is "Buddhist Hippie nonsense" then you know something about Buddhism and Hippies that I don't. I know my purpose. Enjoying family and life. Sorry that's not enough to fill the hole in your life. Sorry you need to keep on trudging through the daily bullshit still trying to find your purpose. I can't help you with that.

    You're not boring, you're just repetitive.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    If spending the majority of my life hunting and fishing is "Buddhist Hippie nonsense" then you know something about Buddhism and Hippies that I don't. I know my purpose. Enjoying family and life. Sorry that's not enough to fill the hole in your life. Sorry you need to keep on trudging through the daily bullshit still trying to find your purpose. I can't help you with that.

    You're not boring, you're just repetitive.
    Ice fishing doesn't interest me.... Post the amount of $ in your bank account & photo of the chicks you get to bang and we'll see who's trudging thru life!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQPjKSVe1tQ
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-15-2019 at 09:24 PM.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Ice fishing doesn't interest me.... Post the amount of $ in your bank account & photo of the chicks you get to bang and we'll see who's trudging thru life!
    Who writes this stuff for you? It's good stuff, really. It's so over the top that I can't even pretend to take you seriously.

  6. #6
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Sounds like Buddihst-Hippie nonsense or you have experienced a loss of purpose.

    Maybe try getting off your ass, clearing the driveway & stop lecturing the rest of us about how boring we are.
    He's not citing Buddhist-Hippie nonsense but he's embracing the the karma that comes from retirement. One day, you'll get there and accept this lifestyle and embrace the retiree's motto: "Free, take one."

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    He's not citing Buddhist-Hippie nonsense but he's embracing the the karma"
    Pfft......

  8. #8
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Pfft......
    Some people just want to throw bricks and fan the flames of fire against those who enjoy life.

  9. #9
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    "Interesting" is pretty subjective. Let's see. I'm retired so not a lot going on. We have about 2 ft of snow right now. I've picked the right curtain for the "Big Deal" 3 days in a row, and am through the first 8 episodes of season 1 for our Game of Thrones rewatch before the final season starts. I'm thinking I should probably shovel, but then I say to myself "I've got nowhere to be, it'll melt sooner or later."

    Once the weather clears, I need to get my fishing license so I can take the boat out. It's a great time of year for fishing. Some big Rainbows and German Brown's out there waiting.

    Other than that, not much going on. Life is damn enjoyable. No news on my TV for about 7 months now, I think. Shutdowns, emergencies, all sorts of stuff, yet my life continues with all the "important" stuff having zero impact on my daily life.

    I suggest, again, that everyone retire and quit working as soon as it's financially possible (not rich financially possible but "we can get by" financially possible" in order to enjoy every moment with your family because spending time with them now is far more important that living big 20 years from now.
    Retirement is better than advertised. I've been retired for 16 years and I don't miss working and that's something because I was a workaholic. The key to retirement, other than financially being able to do it, is to have things you can enjoy doing to keep you busy or entertained. Some people, like you, like to fish while other like to travel. Me, I like to do pleasure reading in that I was to busy while in the service to do much reading. Since I retired, I've read over 300 books of various genre with more interest in crime/police stories and science fiction. I'm currently reading the trilogy by Gillian Anderson, of [/i]The X-Files[/i] TV series, and I have three books on "hold" from the local library which is the source or 95% of my reading. I also like to bowl and I'm in two bowling leagues with averages of 192 &193 at two different bowling centers. This past Wednesday, I was on fire shooting a 705 (235 average) series which is the first 700 series I've shot in about three years. I also meet a couple of fellow retirees on Tuesday at a bowling alley to shoot the breeze and practice my bowling.

    I agree with you, if you can afford to retire do so.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Retirement is better than advertised. I've been retired for 16 years and I don't miss working and that's something because I was a workaholic. The key to retirement, other than financially being able to do it, is to have things you can enjoy doing to keep you busy or entertained. Some people, like you, like to fish while other like to travel. Me, I like to do pleasure reading in that I was to busy while in the service to do much reading. Since I retired, I've read over 300 books of various genre with more interest in crime/police stories and science fiction. I'm currently reading the trilogy by Gillian Anderson, of [/i]The X-Files[/i] TV series, and I have three books on "hold" from the local library which is the source or 95% of my reading. I also like to bowl and I'm in two bowling leagues with averages of 192 &193 at two different bowling centers. This past Wednesday, I was on fire shooting a 705 (235 average) series which is the first 700 series I've shot in about three years. I also meet a couple of fellow retirees on Tuesday at a bowling alley to shoot the breeze and practice my bowling.

    I agree with you, if you can afford to retire do so.
    Sounds pretty awesome.

    I wasn't aware she was an author. Does she write Sci-Fi or something completely different.

    Could never get over about a 165 average, which I was happy with. Thankfully I was pretty consistent. My wife, on the other hand, had a 125, which is fine, except that it was usually an 80, a 125, and a 170, lol. Was always a lot of fun, though. Probably been 3 years since we've been.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •