Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Retirement

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Y'all care if I split the retirement posts from the voter disenfranchisement thread?
    Works for me.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    & some people want to hijack the thread... when they are called out on the absurdity of their claims.
    No hijack of this thread. We (AF sgt and I) got diverted onto another onto another line of thought. It's important to know your terms.

Texas Sec. of State: 58K non-US citizens voted in Texas elections...

https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/...exas-elections
    This is from you source above:
    Texas' embattled election chief has apologized over an inaccurate list of 95,000 people on the voter rolls flagged as possible non-U.S. citizens, and a Senate committee postponed a vote Thursday on his nomination — a signal his job could be in jeopardy.

"I recognize this caused some confusion about our intentions, which were at all times aimed at maintaining the accuracy and integrity of the voter rolls," Whitley wrote. "To the extent my actions missed that mark, I apologize."

Texas officials say they matched registered voters against records of noncitizens with state IDs. But they failed to exclude scores of people who legally cast ballots only after becoming U.S. citizens.
    https://abc7amarillo.com/news/local/...oncitizen-list

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    If you have a good local library, they should have it. I recommend the library because you can check them out for free.
    I tried golf when I was active duty.
    I finally gave the game up because it was too expensive.
    A night of bowling cost me no more than $16
    @LogDog , sounds like You may be suffering from Wilson's Syndrome....... a condition in which able-bodied individuals sit for days or weeks without completing any task.

https://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/eboo...ion-decreased/

Fortunately, It's reversible.....Please seek Help.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-16-2019 at 05:48 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @LogDog , sounds like You may be suffering from Wilson's Syndrome....... a condition in which able-bodied individuals sit for days or weeks without completing any task.

self-im·por·tant
    /ˈˌself əmˈpôrtnt/

adjective

having an exaggerated sense of one's own value or importance.

Fortunately, it's reversible.....Please seek Help.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Now you're an armchair psychologist among your other dubious achievements. Fortunately, your link doesn't fit me. I have plenty of things to do in retirement but the thing is I can schedule them at my convenience. Between my last post and your pseudo-psychology post I was in the attic of a neighbor checking on possible leaks in the roof. Fortunately, there were none.

For a person who complained about this thread being hijacked it looks like you're the one who hijacked it. Perhaps you should look at this link regarding hypocrisy.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-all-hypocrisy

Don't think I didn't notice you didn't respond to the link I provided showing the Texas Secretary of State apologized for claiming 58,000 people illegally voted. I think the silence on your part speaks loudly. Wait, I think I did hear something from you.
    Cricket_Sounds_Preview.jpg

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Now you're an armchair psychologist among your other dubious achievements. Fortunately, your link doesn't fit me. I have plenty of things to do in retirement but the thing is I can schedule them at my convenience. Between my last post and your pseudo-psychology post I was in the attic of a neighbor checking on possible leaks in the roof. Fortunately, there were none.

For a person who complained about this thread being hijacked it looks like you're the one who hijacked it. Perhaps you should look at this link regarding hypocrisy.
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...-all-hypocrisy

Don't think I didn't notice you didn't respond to the link I provided showing the Texas Secretary of State apologized for claiming 58,000 people illegally voted. I think the silence on your part speaks loudly. Wait, I think I did hear something from you.
    Cricket_Sounds_Preview.jpg
    I was wondering if he'd actually read the description of the condition he quoted, since none of the things you mentioned doing involved remaining idle. But as long as it fits his narrative (and by narrative, I mean the script that he, or someone, has written for his character) then it doesn't matter. Oh, and he won't respond. He'll deflect, trying to guide the conversation back to his talking points.

It's classic internet forum/self-important methodology.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I was wondering if he'd actually read the description of the condition he quoted, since none of the things you mentioned doing involved remaining idle. But as long as it fits his narrative (and by narrative, I mean the script that he, or someone, has written for his character) then it doesn't matter. Oh, and he won't respond. He'll deflect, trying to guide the conversation back to his talking points.

It's classic internet forum/self-important methodology.
    He has serious character flaws which is why he acts the way he does. His shtick grew old long ago but hey, it's the only thing he has going for him to get attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    She writes scifi and her novels are co-written with another author Jeff Rovin. I finished the first novel Tuesday and I started on the second one yesterday. I like her (their) style of writing in that it is easy to understand and the books flow smoothly kind of like when you're reading it and you see it as a movies running in your mind.

The keys in bowling bowling are knowing the position of your arm, hand, fingers, shoulders, and feet from your first step to the release and follow through. All this takes concentration and practice, practice, and more practice. After you've gotten these to a consistent level then you have to figure out where on the lane (dots or arrows) you deliver the ball, the speed of the ball, how much hook to put on/off the ball, the amount or ball rotation, and where the break-point (where the balls stops skidding and grips the lane breaking for the headpin) should be. Also, throughout bowling you have to watch how your ball reacts and make minor corrections to account for the lane oil drying up or moving down the lane. One friend of mine simplifies it by saying bowling is dependent upon Speed, rotation, and angle. Bowling a high score is more complicated than people think it is.

My father taught me and my five siblings how to bowl and I still use his instructions to teach beginners. During league play, we talk about what problems we're having and how to correct them. Immediate feedback from experienced bowlers is helpful. The other good thing about bowling, especially in a league, is it's a social function as well as a sporting (competition) activity in which people from all ages can take part. In one league, the ages range from 19 - 92 years of age and one of the hardest teams to beat is the one with the 92-year old and his three teammates who are all over 70.
    So, I guess the ol melon ball down the center or maybe just between the first and second arrows doesn't cut it! Not sure if you remember Don Carter. To me, he had the slowest delivery, not too much speed, but was obviously a great bowler.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    So, I guess the ol melon ball down the center or maybe just between the first and second arrows doesn't cut it! Not sure if you remember Don Carter. To me, he had the slowest delivery, not too much speed, but was obviously a great bowler.
    A lot of women bowlers (amateurs) bowl down the middle. Most men, especially the higher scoring men, bowl between the first and second arrows (between the 5 and 10 boards) because there is typically less oil allowing for the ball to hook. You’ll see on TV the bowlers standing in the middle or the left side on the approach and throwing the ball across the alley. Their ball is actually crossing over the 5th or 10th boards when it starts to hook.

As for Don Carter, I remember watching him bowl on TV many decades ago. He wasn’t a power bowler like a lot of pros are today but he had a steady, smooth delivery. What I remember most about his style is he would bend his arm on the backswing instead of keeping it straight but for him that was effective. The equipment and lane conditions used when he was on the tour are unlike the ones used today. The balls are more aggressive, the lane conditions and oil patterns harder, and the bowlers today are in better physical condition. Still, I think he’d be able to compete on today’s pro circuit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    A lot of women bowlers (amateurs) bowl down the middle.
    My wife is right handed and throws a "straight" ball. Thing is the way she comes through, her hand turns to the right, and the ball breaks slightly right. So after years, she finally figured out how to throw a fairly consistent Brooklyn. Just doesn't carry a lot of pins with the 10 pound ball.