Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 60

Thread: Thoughts on Retirement

  1. #11
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Pfft......
    Some people just want to throw bricks and fan the flames of fire against those who enjoy life.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    She writes scifi and her novels are co-written with another author Jeff Rovin. I finished the first novel Tuesday and I started on the second one yesterday. I like her (their) style of writing in that it is easy to understand and the books flow smoothly kind of like when you're reading it and you see it as a movies running in your mind.
    Might have to pick some up.


    The keys in bowling bowling are knowing the position of your arm, hand, fingers, shoulders, and feet from your first step to the release and follow through. All this takes concentration and practice, practice, and more practice. After you've gotten these to a consistent level then you have to figure out where on the lane (dots or arrows) you deliver the ball, the speed of the ball, how much hook to put on/off the ball, the amount or ball rotation, and where the break-point (where the balls stops skidding and grips the lane breaking for the headpin) should be. Also, throughout bowling you have to watch how your ball reacts and make minor corrections to account for the lane oil drying up or moving down the lane. One friend of mine simplifies it by saying bowling is dependent upon Speed, rotation, and angle. Bowling a high score is more complicated than people think it is.

    My father taught me and my five siblings how to bowl and I still use his instructions to teach beginners. During league play, we talk about what problems we're having and how to correct them. Immediate feedback from experienced bowlers is helpful. The other good thing about bowling, especially in a league, is it's a social function as well as a sporting (competition) activity in which people from all ages can take part. In one league, the ages range from 19 - 92 years of age and one of the hardest teams to beat is the one with the 92-year old and his three teammates who are all over 70.
    Yeah, it's always been a lot like golf for me. I never practiced/played enough to get any better than the 165 average or the 18 handicap. Once a week or every two weeks isn't nearly enough to get over the hump.

  3. #13
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Might have to pick some up.
    If you have a good local library, they should have it. I recommend the library because you can check them out for free plus there are very few books I like to keep after I read them.


    Yeah, it's always been a lot like golf for me. I never practiced/played enough to get any better than the 165 average or the 18 handicap. Once a week or every two weeks isn't nearly enough to get over the hump.
    I tried golf when I was active duty. I had the clubs and would go to the driving range to practice. I was good on the range but the lowest I ever got on a course was 100. Of course, there were some good shots I made but they were too few to make a difference. I finally gave the game up because it was too expensive if you weren't at a base or city course. Where I live, the city golf course is part of San Diego Port Authority and the agreement the city has with them is to run the course as a non-profit operation. This means the fees are low ($40 weekends/holidays and $37 weekdays) yet there are over 100,000 rounds played a year and the course is in great condition. A night of bowling cost me no more than $16 and at the end of the season I get prize money back so the overall cost is lower.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post

    I tried golf when I was active duty. I had the clubs and would go to the driving range to practice. I was good on the range but the lowest I ever got on a course was 100. Of course, there were some good shots I made but they were too few to make a difference. I finally gave the game up because it was too expensive if you weren't at a base or city course. Where I live, the city golf course is part of San Diego Port Authority and the agreement the city has with them is to run the course as a non-profit operation. This means the fees are low ($40 weekends/holidays and $37 weekdays) yet there are over 100,000 rounds played a year and the course is in great condition. A night of bowling cost me no more than $16 and at the end of the season I get prize money back so the overall cost is lower.
    It definitely gets expensive. Luckily there's a small 9 hole course close to me. I do only play twice (sometimes 3 times) a month or so because of the cost, so it's not enough to ever get any better. I have a fairly nice set of clubs. What's funny about golf, though, is the equipment doesn't really matter until you really know what you're doing. I know guys who have $2000 sets of clubs that shoot the same as I do.

    I actually pay club fees, which gets me entered into all the tournaments, so we get to win money back, too. But it's definitely far more expensive than bowling.

  5. #15
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    It definitely gets expensive. Luckily there's a small 9 hole course close to me. I do only play twice (sometimes 3 times) a month or so because of the cost, so it's not enough to ever get any better. I have a fairly nice set of clubs. What's funny about golf, though, is the equipment doesn't really matter until you really know what you're doing. I know guys who have $2000 sets of clubs that shoot the same as I do.

    I actually pay club fees, which gets me entered into all the tournaments, so we get to win money back, too. But it's definitely far more expensive than bowling.
    Bowling and golf have one similarity in common; once you buy the equipment you're set for a couple of years. I usually buy a new bowling ball ever couple of years because the technology of the ball changes depending upon the lane conditions. My price range is usually $150 - $200 for a ball. My latest ball ran $200 for a high performance ball with a high hook potential. I'm still learning how to throw it after I bought it nine months ago. Of course, you could get luck like I did and win two balls in raffles. The local USBC held a ball raffle for the Blind Veterans League so I bought $15 in tickets and won an $125 ball. At another bowling center the pro-shop held a ball of your choice raffle for $5 a ticket and once 50 tickets were sold they pick a winner and I won buying only one ticket. When I showed up to the pro-shop to verify I had won they left me pick out which one I wanted. I had a tablet with me and I took about 20 minutes to look up the specs on a couple of balls I was interested. I gave them my choice and they measured my hand and the drilling layout I wanted and drilled it there on the spot. I still have both balls and I use them when conditions warrent them. BTW, I carry four balls to the bowling alley but there are two balls I use 90% of the time.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Bowling and golf have one similarity in common; once you buy the equipment you're set for a couple of years. I usually buy a new bowling ball ever couple of years because the technology of the ball changes depending upon the lane conditions. My price range is usually $150 - $200 for a ball. My latest ball ran $200 for a high performance ball with a high hook potential. I'm still learning how to throw it after I bought it nine months ago. Of course, you could get luck like I did and win two balls in raffles. The local USBC held a ball raffle for the Blind Veterans League so I bought $15 in tickets and won an $125 ball. At another bowling center the pro-shop held a ball of your choice raffle for $5 a ticket and once 50 tickets were sold they pick a winner and I won buying only one ticket. When I showed up to the pro-shop to verify I had won they left me pick out which one I wanted. I had a tablet with me and I took about 20 minutes to look up the specs on a couple of balls I was interested. I gave them my choice and they measured my hand and the drilling layout I wanted and drilled it there on the spot. I still have both balls and I use them when conditions warrent them. BTW, I carry four balls to the bowling alley but there are two balls I use 90% of the time.
    I spent $300 on a set of clubs about 12 years ago and still use them. Like I said earlier, it's not the equipment that fails me. If I buy a driver with more distance, that just means I'm gonna slice it further. lol.

    As far as bowling, our bowling alley in the small area we're in still has wooden lanes. LOL. It's kind of a cool place, but don't really have to worry about the changing oil patterns or anything as I don't think the owner knows how to change the settings to change the pattern (assuming his machine isn't too old to have different patterns).

  7. #17
    Senior Member LogDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Somewhere, Ca
    Posts
    808
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    I spent $300 on a set of clubs about 12 years ago and still use them. Like I said earlier, it's not the equipment that fails me. If I buy a driver with more distance, that just means I'm gonna slice it further. lol.
    With me, I could slice with a $50 driver or a $300 driver. Now you see why I gave it up.

    As far as bowling, our bowling alley in the small area we're in still has wooden lanes. LOL. It's kind of a cool place, but don't really have to worry about the changing oil patterns or anything as I don't think the owner knows how to change the settings to change the pattern (assuming his machine isn't too old to have different patterns).
    Where I live, one of the bowling alleys has wooden lanes and I only bowl on them during tournaments. Most bowling alleys usually has a "typical" house-shot pattern they use throughout the year. The one on the base I bowl at puts out a modified "typical" house-shot for leagues and a sports-shot pattern for those bowling in an All-Navy league. I know the head mechanic and he does a good job keeping the equipment operating. He tears down and cleans the machine that dresses the lanes apart about once a month whereas most alleys do it maybe once or twice a year. Another factor is who own/runs the lanes. If you have a local owner who is an avid bowler chances are the lanes will be well taken care of. The ones operated by a corporation tend to be worse because they're only interested in making more money from open bowlers than from league bowlers.

  8. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    "Interesting" is pretty subjective. Let's see. I'm retired so not a lot going on. We have about 2 ft of snow right now. I've picked the right curtain for the "Big Deal" 3 days in a row, and am through the first 8 episodes of season 1 for our Game of Thrones rewatch before the final season starts. I'm thinking I should probably shovel, but then I say to myself "I've got nowhere to be, it'll melt sooner or later."

    Once the weather clears, I need to get my fishing license so I can take the boat out. It's a great time of year for fishing. Some big Rainbows and German Brown's out there waiting.

    Other than that, not much going on. Life is damn enjoyable. No news on my TV for about 7 months now, I think. Shutdowns, emergencies, all sorts of stuff, yet my life continues with all the "important" stuff having zero impact on my daily life.

    I suggest, again, that everyone retire and quit working as soon as it's financially possible (not rich financially possible but "we can get by" financially possible" in order to enjoy every moment with your family because spending time with them now is far more important that living big 20 years from now.
    I too don't work, and haven't since I quit my 60+ hour per week management job. My wife is much younger and has a good career that she loves, so with my active duty pension I never really needed to work. People thought I was nuts for quitting a full time job with fancy job title, and still say, "you're too young to retire!" What they really mean is, the mandated retirement age for social security is 65, so you NEED to do your time just like the rest of us. So yeah, I guess I could keep punching the time clock until age 65, hoping that I'll actually be healthy enough to enjoy a retirement at that age....that is if I live that long. Too many people I've known over my life never made it out of their 50's, even though they had huge retirement plans for after 65. I say eff that, enjoy your free time if you can afford to. Tomorrow is not guaranteed, whatsoever.

    As for paying attention to the news, I took your advice from before and now it's been two weeks since I haven't tuned in. I was watching FOX and listening to talk radio daily for years, so I thought it would be tough going without. Surprisingly, it's been easy and my stress levels have dropped significantly. Ignorance is bliss. You can't get 'outraged' over the opposing political party's latest words/actions if you don't tune in to begin with!
    Last edited by FLAPS; 02-16-2019 at 11:58 AM.

  9. #19
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Y'all care if I split the retirement posts from the voter disenfranchisement thread?
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Y'all care if I split the retirement posts from the voter disenfranchisement thread?
    sounds like a plan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •