Thread: Reserve Participation

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Reserve Participation

Not sure if anyone here was in the Reserve, but I'm about to enter my final year and I'm not doing a day over 20.

Here's something else I want to take a stab at: as all Reservists know, you only need to earn a minimum of 50 points in order to have a "good" year. I can easily do that with one annual tour and three UTA weekends.

That being said, once I enter my new retention year - which is only one month after my 19 year mark, is it possible to just get my 50 points and sit out the rest of the year until my approved retirement date?

I know that, in theory, I could simply request excused absences for the rest of the year.

I suppose that what I'm really asking is whether or not this is a "normal" thing in practice.

Does anyone know?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Not sure if anyone here was in the Reserve, but I'm about to enter my final year and I'm not doing a day over 20.

Here's something else I want to take a stab at: as all Reservists know, you only need to earn a minimum of 50 points in order to have a "good" year. I can easily do that with one annual tour and three UTA weekends.

That being said, once I enter my new retention year - which is only one month after my 19 year mark, is it possible to just get my 50 points and sit out the rest of the year until my approved retirement date?

I know that, in theory, I could simply request excused absences for the rest of the year.

I suppose that what I'm really asking is whether or not this is a "normal" thing in practice.

Does anyone know?
    I've never been in the Reserves but my advice to you is not to try and "game" the system so close to retirement. Do what you'd ordinarily do to make sure you have yourself fully covered so when you drop your papers there will be no problems.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I've never been in the Reserves but my advice to you is not to try and "game" the system so close to retirement. Do what you'd ordinarily do to make sure you have yourself fully covered so when you drop your papers there will be no problems.
    Agreed. I only spent two of my 20+ years as a reservist, but I would recommend finishing the final year strong, then retiring. That way they'll be no confusion or other 'misunderstanding' that could complicate retirement actions.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Does anyone know?
    No, I don't know, so I won't offer any advice based on assumptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Your are USAFR now correct?

I have a friend who was a NOSC CO, I can ‘phone a friend’s’ admin chief, but that is Navy and may differ.

Also, good to hear from you Rusty ... hope all is well.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Your are USAFR now correct?

I have a friend who was a NOSC CO, I can ‘phone a friend’s’ admin chief, but that is Navy and may differ.

Also, good to hear from you Rusty ... hope all is well.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have no problem doing every remaining drill weekend if I have to, but anyone who has been in the reserves before knows how much of a pain in the ass it is, and I'd like to put that behind me sooner if I can.

I suppose that, if this is a normal practice, it would be equivalent to "terminal leave" on active duty.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have no problem doing every remaining drill weekend if I have to, but anyone who has been in the reserves before knows how much of a pain in the ass it is, and I'd like to put that behind me sooner if I can.

I suppose that, if this is a normal practice, it would be equivalent to "terminal leave" on active duty.
    Exactly what I was thinking. If you've completed all of your commitments then your just sitting out the rest until the date arrives.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Pain in the ass, is right. Every drill weekend was wasted due to at least entire day (of your two days) was spent accomplishing Commander's briefings (we call the Commander's Calls), PT, and ancillary training. It's amazing how a reservist is required to accomplish the same exact amount of ancillary training (includes computer based) as active duty, yet only has two days per month to accomplish it. This left so very little time to actual train in your job specialty. I guess if I had more hands-on training time and less bullshit, I would have enjoyed my short time in the reserves.