Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Media Bias

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Exactly. This happens all the time, where irrelevant facts are brought in to discredit a person. It's like saying you can't trust an aircraft mechanic to do his job properly if his hair is a little too long once in awhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I don’t think it makes him any more or less credible or diminish his right to exercise his right to peacefully assemble. He and the media were very willing to exploit his veteran status when they were not representing the incident with the high school kids accurately.

Him saying he was Recon when he wasn’t, just makes him a dumbass
    Honestly, I wish they'd come out with a different term for it. It always feels weird being a "disabled vet", then going to the golf course, etc.
    Yep. I'd honestly have to say they should really crack down on what gets compensated as disability.

I think it should be limited to stuff that was actually caused by the military service and not stuff that just happened to have occurred during your military service but is a normal part of living and growing old.

Combat injuries, absolutely compensated. hearing loss from working on the flight line, sure. Tinnitus or hearing loss that can not be directly tied to duty performance, probably not. Bad knees from playing sports, nah. Sleep apnea from gaining weight and getting old, no. Various other growing old ailments...thank you for your service and getting old sucks, sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I got my 20% and use it for VA loan and what-not. I don't feel guilty because the system is what it is...but it really should be looked at.

It is exceedingly unpopular, however, to make any political move that would take away from the veterans...disabled veterans at that...meh. I'm sure the cost is in the billions of dollars.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The problem with that, of course, is that the big headline with "alternative facts" gets out there first and, unfortunately, that's what people grab onto.
    And if/when any correction gets put out, either A) it's so small/quiet no one even hears about it, or B) people are just too enflamed from the initial headline to care..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I'll be waiting with bated breath
    I Googled Nathan Phillips and came up with a number of references. From what I've read, Phillips has led a rather hard life. He was separated from his family (reason not given) at age 5 and raised by a white family until he was 17 when he joined the Marines. He struggled with alcoholism and has been sober for 34 years. He was arrested for being drunk and getting into a fight when he was 19.
    Since then, he’s served as the director of the Native Youth Alliance, stood up for land and water rights at Standing Rock, honored fallen veterans at Arlington with a sacred pipe ceremony. He’s joined in a number of peaceful protests including the Dakota Access Pipeline.
    My opinion of Nathan Phillips is he’s not an agitator, a radical, or someone from the “far-left” or “far-right” but a man with a genuine calling to peacefully bring people together and to provide young people with guidance.

Here are some of the links I viewed.
    https://www.vogue.com/article/nathan-phillips-activist-song-peaceful-resistance-hope

http://sandhillsexpress.com/state-ne...aunting-teens/

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/an-interview-with-nathan-phillips-on-the-magayouth-incident-7wUkJHLjtUa2-k2Fx14MvQ/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Yes. This veteran stuff always reminds me of military dependents getting pissed off at a business that doesn't offer him/her a military discount.

I have a friend who is a veteran and has some disability. Ok, he's a disabled veteran like many of us retirees. He may actually walk with a gimp or something...anyway, he got injured while in the service, but not in any official line of duty. It was like an off-duty motorcycle accident or something.

He will often throw the "I'm a disabled veteran" in people's faces if he gets criticized for something completely unrelated....it's unseemly, IMO.

Agree. Making false veteran claims or exaggerating veteran service makes one lose credibility.

There are always going to be people who play their military service to the hilt to get sympathy from others. They give veterans a bad name.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    With as biased to the left, as google is for searching, i wouldn't put much faith in the sources THEY link to him as being truthful about Mr Phillips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Had to look. No, my OMPF has that. It looks like that page and a couple others are from Phillips's service record and one of the DD214. Via FOIA you can get a DD214 and certain parts of a service record / OMPF, this shows everything that would be available:

https://www.dd214.us/entitlement.html

If you wish to think Don Shipley or the tribe in ND that has stated that Phillips misrepresents his military service are lying, by all means think that. I think there is enough to say ... as I said, guy was a refrigeration mechanic, never left CONUS, discharged as an E1 and was UA 3 times ...
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I believe that any veteran should be concerned who could get access to their DD Form 214(probably one of the most important documents they have). 1st, if you the read your reference closely, I do not believe it says the DD Form 214 is releasable. It does say that certain information in the personnel file can be obtained. That is exactly what is shown in Mr. Shipley's article. Not one thing is from the DD Form 214. I have also reviewed his You Tube presentation. He does not verbally say it is a DD Form 214 but the title of the article sure says it is. Also another You Tube excerpt supposedly from a news source says clearly that Mr. Shipley obtained Phillips DD Form 214. Again, the document shown is not the DD Form 214.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I believe that any veteran should be concerned who could get access to their DD Form 214(probably one of the most important documents they have). 1st, if you the read your reference closely, I do not believe it says the DD Form 214 is releasable. It does say that certain information in the personnel file can be obtained. That is exactly what is shown in Mr. Shipley's article. Not one thing is from the DD Form 214. I have also reviewed his You Tube presentation. He does not verbally say it is a DD Form 214 but the title of the article sure says it is. Also another You Tube excerpt supposedly from a news source says clearly that Mr. Shipley obtained Phillips DD Form 214. Again, the document shown is not the DD Form 214.
    I think you are right ... looks like it was Mr. Phillips OMPF vice DD214 ... DD214 is not releasable until 62 years after discharge.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think you are right ... looks like it was Mr. Phillips OMPF vice DD214 ... DD214 is not releasable until 62 years after discharge.
    Thank You. I do appreciate your research (I knew you would!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    Thank You. I do appreciate your research (I knew you would!)
    No big deal, I’d like to know if I am wrong.

As punishment I will thrash myself while TAD for the next two weeks in San Diego (rough).
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No big deal, I’d like to know if I am wrong.

As punishment I will thrash myself while TAD for the next two weeks in San Diego (rough).
    Like the say on The Price is Right: "COME ON DOWN."

Our weather in San Diego is fine and today we're looking at mid-70s. We'll be in the mid- to high 60s for the next two weeks but with the sun shinning it will feel like it's in the 70s.