Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: Media Bias

  1. #41
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    His being a veteran has nothing to do with situation, not sure why it's even brought up. It gives him no more or less right to march/protest and be marched/protested against.

    Seems it's a bit exploitative using his veteran status....so what? He served for 4 years back in the 70s...does that give him any more or less credibility or right to march?
    Exactly. This happens all the time, where irrelevant facts are brought in to discredit a person. It's like saying you can't trust an aircraft mechanic to do his job properly if his hair is a little too long once in awhile.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,326
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    And, I guess at least once Mr. Phillips did say he was a Vietnam Vet (go about 1min in).

    https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/st...52111870742529
    So maybe he thinks enlisting after the event happened, makes him a vet of it??

  3. #43
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    His being a veteran has nothing to do with situation, not sure why it's even brought up. It gives him no more or less right to march/protest and be marched/protested against.

    Seems it's a bit exploitative using his veteran status....so what? He served for 4 years back in the 70s...does that give him any more or less credibility or right to march?
    I don’t think it makes him any more or less credible or diminish his right to exercise his right to peacefully assemble. He and the media were very willing to exploit his veteran status when they were not representing the incident with the high school kids accurately.

    Him saying he was Recon when he wasn’t, just makes him a dumbass
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  4. #44
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So maybe he thinks enlisting after the event happened, makes him a vet of it??
    Makes all of us here WWII Vets
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    247
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Had to look. No, my OMPF has that. It looks like that page and a couple others are from Phillips's service record and one of the DD214. Via FOIA you can get a DD214 and certain parts of a service record / OMPF, this shows everything that would be available:

    https://www.dd214.us/entitlement.html

    If you wish to think Don Shipley or the tribe in ND that has stated that Phillips misrepresents his military service are lying, by all means think that. I think there is enough to say ... as I said, guy was a refrigeration mechanic, never left CONUS, discharged as an E1 and was UA 3 times ...
    I haven't delved into what he has said enough to really make a judgement. My initial response was because the only thing that was said was that Mr. Shipley had gotten a copy of Phillips DD FM 214 under FOIA and again, I'm surprised that was releasable, but I knew that data was not on a 214. Even Mr. Shipley's article headlined the DD Form 214. As other posters have said this really doesn't have any bearing on his right to protest.

  6. #46
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Exactly. This happens all the time, where irrelevant facts are brought in to discredit a person. It's like saying you can't trust an aircraft mechanic to do his job properly if his hair is a little too long once in awhile.
    The media (both right and left) do this all the time, in some cases the over romanticism of our veterans (maybe caused by a sense of guilt on the treatment of actual Vietnam Veterans) has led to a sense of entitlement in too many of our modern veterans.

    The right has tried to lay claim / ownership over veterans and patriotism for some time. Too often an aggrieved individual is identified as a vet when their status as a veteran is not germane to thee situation:

    -Veteran homeless man gives last $20 to woman who runs out of gas (turned out to be fake ... but)
    -Veteran gets yelled at by angry teacher over kid's behavior
    -Veteran gets bad cheeseburger, cries about it ... #sarcasm

    IRT the incident with Mr. Phillips, the media quickly grabbed to the narrative of Mr. Phillips, a Native American, Vietnam (era / times / general period) Veteran was accosted by a group of MAGA hat wearing white kids during a protest / march. A few outlets reported he was a Vietnam Vet, probably error on their part ... I watched a few videos of him and only in one did he say "Vietnam Vet", otherwise he was very careful to say "Vietnam times, Vietnam period" etc. In the rush to be first, they didn't quite have the facts right, but the incorrect facts painted a more egregious story, so they ran with it.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    The media (both right and left) do this all the time, in some cases the over romanticism of our veterans (maybe caused by a sense of guilt on the treatment of actual Vietnam Veterans) has led to a sense of entitlement in too many of our modern veterans.

    The right has tried to lay claim / ownership over veterans and patriotism for some time. Too often an aggrieved individual is identified as a vet when their status as a veteran is not germane to thee situation:

    -Veteran homeless man gives last $20 to woman who runs out of gas (turned out to be fake ... but)
    -Veteran gets yelled at by angry teacher over kid's behavior
    -Veteran gets bad cheeseburger, cries about it ... #sarcasm

    IRT the incident with Mr. Phillips, the media quickly grabbed to the narrative of Mr. Phillips, a Native American, Vietnam (era / times / general period) Veteran was accosted by a group of MAGA hat wearing white kids during a protest / march. A few outlets reported he was a Vietnam Vet, probably error on their part ... I watched a few videos of him and only in one did he say "Vietnam Vet", otherwise he was very careful to say "Vietnam times, Vietnam period" etc. In the rush to be first, they didn't quite have the facts right, but the incorrect facts painted a more egregious story, so they ran with it.
    The problem with that, of course, is that the big headline with "alternative facts" gets out there first and, unfortunately, that's what people grab onto.

  8. #48
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I haven't delved into what he has said enough to really make a judgement. My initial response was because the only thing that was said was that Mr. Shipley had gotten a copy of Phillips DD FM 214 under FOIA and again, I'm surprised that was releasable, but I knew that data was not on a 214. Even Mr. Shipley's article headlined the DD Form 214. As other posters have said this really doesn't have any bearing on his right to protest.
    It is surprising what anyone can get on you via a FOIA request, but ... it is technically a public record.

    That's fair. Don has for years been outing folks who claim to be SeALs. NSW has a master database of every person who has ever attended BUDS. Don also has done so many FOIA requests he generally gets them faster as he has it down to a science and has made connections.

    The USMC Force Reconnaissance Association maintains a similar database for Basic Reconnaissance Course & Amphibious Reconnaissance School, but not everyone assigned to Recon Battalions or Force attended those schools.

    Either way, both NSW and USMC Recon are fairly small communities that maintain friendships and memberships in their respective associations. When someone who no one has ever even heard of starts making a claim of having been a SeAL or Recon Marine, it gets our interest. Once and a while it turns out to have been a guy that just laid low, or maybe got out not too long after training, almost always it is someone who is lying and trying to get the extra credibility / mileage of being something they weren't. If you were a refrigeration mechanic, admin clerk, electrician etc. and served honorably ... I have no issue with that ... be proud of your service; there is no reason to lie to boost yourself up.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  9. #49
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,554
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Exactly. This happens all the time, where irrelevant facts are brought in to discredit a person. It's like saying you can't trust an aircraft mechanic to do his job properly if his hair is a little too long once in awhile.
    Yes. This veteran stuff always reminds me of military dependents getting pissed off at a business that doesn't offer him/her a military discount.

    I have a friend who is a veteran and has some disability. Ok, he's a disabled veteran like many of us retirees. He may actually walk with a gimp or something...anyway, he got injured while in the service, but not in any official line of duty. It was like an off-duty motorcycle accident or something.

    He will often throw the "I'm a disabled veteran" in people's faces if he gets criticized for something completely unrelated....it's unseemly, IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I don’t think it makes him any more or less credible or diminish his right to exercise his right to peacefully assemble. He and the media were very willing to exploit his veteran status when they were not representing the incident with the high school kids accurately.

    Him saying he was Recon when he wasn’t, just makes him a dumbass
    Agree. Making false veteran claims or exaggerating veteran service makes one lose credibility.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    It is surprising what anyone can get on you via a FOIA request, but ... it is technically a public record.
    I would think PII would be redacted, no?

    [/QUOTE]
    The Voice of Reason

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    188
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Yes. This veteran stuff always reminds me of military dependents getting pissed off at a business that doesn't offer him/her a military discount.

    I have a friend who is a veteran and has some disability. Ok, he's a disabled veteran like many of us retirees. He may actually walk with a gimp or something...anyway, he got injured while in the service, but not in any official line of duty. It was like an off-duty motorcycle accident or something.

    He will often throw the "I'm a disabled veteran" in people's faces if he gets criticized for something completely unrelated....it's unseemly, IMO.
    Honestly, I wish they'd come out with a different term for it. It always feels weird being a "disabled vet", then going to the golf course, etc.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •