Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Administration: 2 year SITREP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Trump Administration: 2 year SITREP

So where are we on the Trump Presidency?

No argument that DJT has remained true to himself and his candidacy, the anti-Barack Obama. He has not become "more Presidential", as was hoped and he stated he would do.

Economically: DJT presides over a strong economy with unemployment at its lowest rate for half a century, there is and should be some roll over from the Obama Administration (things don't happen overnight), but he does deserve credit. He did approve a tax cut, which arguably contributed to the national debt rising from $19T to $21.7T, anticipated to grow to $23T by the end of the year. He promised but has not moved on designating China a currency manipulator. He has increased oil and gas production in the US.

Border Security: There is no wall ... yet. Currently the government is shutdown over a standoff for $5.7B in funding for the wall.

Affordable Care Act / Obamacare: Largely remains intact with a federal judge recently declaring the ACA unconstitutional if the penalty is eliminated. That judge has issued a stay on the decision for now. If that decision stands, there is no legislative solution to replace the health care law (repeal AND replace). Polling suggests the ACA is more popular than it was in the past, specifically with people who previously opposed it; enrollment dipped less than 5 percent this year, even though there's no longer a tax penalty (fine) for people who go without insurance.

Infrastructure: No movement on a campaign promise to initiate a $1T infrastructure program.

Increase military spending: Done. Largely increased military spending across DoD.

Judicial reform: Probably his greatest & longest lasting accomplishment (one I think he should / could tout more often). 2 new SCOTUS Justices, 29 Circuit Court Justices. In DJT's third year in office, he is likely to have fewer positions to fill because he has already named judges for many of the vacancies he inherited from BHO. The long term impacts are a more conservative federal judiciary. If he gets another SCOTUS Justice, that will likely move the court from center-right to Conservative ... for a generation.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    So where are we on the Trump Presidency?

No argument that DJT has remained true to himself and his candidacy, the anti-Barack Obama. He has not become "more Presidential", as was hoped and he stated he would do.

Economically: DJT presides over a strong economy with unemployment at its lowest rate for half a century, there is and should be some roll over from the Obama Administration (things don't happen overnight), but he does deserve credit. He did approve a tax cut, which arguably contributed to the national debt rising from $19T to $21.7T, anticipated to grow to $23T by the end of the year. He promised but has not moved on designating China a currency manipulator. He has increased oil and gas production in the US.

Border Security: There is no wall ... yet. Currently the government is shutdown over a standoff for $5.7B in funding for the wall.

Affordable Care Act / Obamacare: Largely remains intact with a federal judge recently declaring the ACA unconstitutional if the penalty is eliminated. That judge has issued a stay on the decision for now. If that decision stands, there is no legislative solution to replace the health care law (repeal AND replace). Polling suggests the ACA is more popular than it was in the past, specifically with people who previously opposed it; enrollment dipped less than 5 percent this year, even though there's no longer a tax penalty (fine) for people who go without insurance.

Infrastructure: No movement on a campaign promise to initiate a $1T infrastructure program.

Increase military spending: Done. Largely increased military spending across DoD.

Judicial reform: Probably his greatest & longest lasting accomplishment (one I think he should / could tout more often). 2 new SCOTUS Justices, 29 Circuit Court Justices. In DJT's third year in office, he is likely to have fewer positions to fill because he has already named judges for many of the vacancies he inherited from BHO. The long term impacts are a more conservative federal judiciary. If he gets another SCOTUS Justice, that will likely move the court from center-right to Conservative ... for a generation.
    Where I am is as follows:

I just don't care. My life has never been more than slightly different over the last 5 Presidents. In the long run, it's much ado about nothing. All anyone care about is who they can blame, not what the actual outcome is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Where I am is as follows:

I just don't care. My life has never been more than slightly different over the last 5 Presidents. In the long run, it's much ado about nothing. All anyone care about is who they can blame, not what the actual outcome is.
    There are plenty of people who just want someone to blame. I think there are plenty of people concerned about outcomes, the reasons likely vary from selfish to unselfish ones ... but concern is there.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There are plenty of people who just want someone to blame. I think there are plenty of people concerned about outcomes, the reasons likely vary from selfish to unselfish ones ... but concern is there.
    Outcomes of what, though? What ever changes? We get 4 years of bluster, 4 years of opposition, and then we move on to another 4 years of the same. It's hard to take it seriously. Hell, now the Dems are the ones bitching about a Republican administration pulling troops out of certain locations. I always thought it was the Republicans who were supposed to bitch about the Dems doing it. It's just all so ridiculous that I can't pretend anything will ever be different, other than the party that gets the blame.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Outcomes of what, though? What ever changes? We get 4 years of bluster, 4 years of opposition, and then we move on to another 4 years of the same. It's hard to take it seriously. Hell, now the Dems are the ones bitching about a Republican administration pulling troops out of certain locations. I always thought it was the Republicans who were supposed to bitch about the Dems doing it. It's just all so ridiculous that I can't pretend anything will ever be different, other than the party that gets the blame.
    I am optimistic that the hyper polarization can change but realistic about what you describe. Too many politicians are concerned about ‘sides’ than effective outcomes. Too many who want to take a stance based on opposition to the other side vice actual principle. What outcomes? Better society, preservation of freedoms, equal opportunities (not necessarily equal outcomes) ... basic stuff.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What outcomes? Better society, preservation of freedoms, equal opportunities (not necessarily equal outcomes) ... basic stuff.
    That's not very specific, though. That almost sounds like what a politician would promise in the middle of a campaign. What you stay there is something that everyone in the country would agree on. The disagreement comes on how you reach it. That will always be split.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's not very specific, though. That almost sounds like what a politician would promise in the middle of a campaign. What you stay there is something that everyone in the country would agree on. The disagreement comes on how you reach it. That will always be split.
    Understanding that government can give nothing to anyone without first taking it from someone else and that some things are not the role of the government:

-get govt spending under control, we are digging a hole we may never be able to get out of.
    -reduce the size of government, cut dead weight, fire / retire non-performers.
    -figure out a realistic way to phase down our negative impacts on the environment.
    -incentivize work vice hand outs, reduce the welfare state.
    -unscrew education; not everyone needs college but more and more lack the basic skills / knowledge to even pursue a trade. Fewer poses critical thinking skills but regurgitate what they hear from [fill in the blank].
    -get parents back in the habit of raising their kids to be the next generation of leaders vice consumers of what someone else provides them. I hear a lot of complaints about ‘millennials’ or how soft kids are ... well, if it is true .. it’s our fault.
    -stop the blame game ... the majority of which I think is based on envy and ignorance. Didn’t end up where you wanted? Welcome to real life, few do. Do you realize what you have? Are you thankful for it? Did someone end up in a better spot because of hard work, luck, timing, their or your choices etc. or a cosmic conspiracy to goon you over?
    -relearn the meaning of compromise, if we are going to force everyone to have the same idea ... that is totalitarianism which is not what I have spent the last 27 years defending.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Understanding that government can give nothing to anyone without first taking it from someone else and that some things are not the role of the government:

-get govt spending under control, we are digging a hole we may never be able to get out of.
    -figure out a realistic way to phase down our negative impacts on the environment.
    -unscrew education; not everyone needs college but more and more lack the basic skills / knowledge to even pursue a trade. Fewer poses critical thinking skills but regurgitate what they hear from [fill in the blank].
    -get parents back in the habit of raising their kids to be the next generation of leaders vice consumers of what someone else provides them. I hear a lot of complaints about ‘millennials’ or how soft kids are ... well, if it is true .. it’s our fault.
    -stop the blame game ... the majority of which I think is based on envy and ignorance. Didn’t end up where you wanted? Welcome to real life, few do. Do you realize what you have? Are you thankful for it? Did someone end up in a better spot because of hard work, luck, timing, their or your choices etc. or a cosmic conspiracy to goon you over?
    -relearn the meaning of compromise, if we are going to force everyone to have the same idea ... that is totalitarianism which is not what I have spent the last 27 years defending.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is a largely conservative view. Not saying I don't agree with it, just saying that it never really changes. We've had 3 Presidents in the last 35 years that agreed with you, as well, yet here we are. Even if it changes, it's only for a short period of time, then it changes back. So I can't bring myself, anymore, to get all worked up about stuff that is going to cycle around and around.

Neither am I saying that everyone should agree, and agree with you that we (politicians) should definitely compromise. But still, if they do compromise, what do we end up with? Same stuff we have now.

IMO, the best we can do is take care of our own homes and let the politicians play their silly little games.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

See, you did exactly what I'm talking about. You realized that, no matter where our discussion went, that there wasn't going to be a conclusion, that we'd just keep going back and forth, so you just moved past it. That's what I've done with caring about politics. You and I are the same.