Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Trump Administration: 2 year SITREP

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    First, I've never once voted Democrat. I'm a registered Republican and always have been, though these days one isn't really allowed to be a moderate conservative without being labeled liberal. Second, as far as a time limit, I think it depends what it's for. I'd Max it out at 1 year, given the worst circumstances. Shorter time limits with different circumstances. There are too many scenarios to go into here. If the person is in an area with very low employment rates then I'd give them longer than someone with a lot of options.
    First, i was talking more in general, on liberals. Not thinking you were one..
    But i like the idea of capping at 1 yr.

We've already got a security system around our border. I'd compare it to having security passwords. What is being called for is for the country to be ran like a SCIF.
    With how many thousands get caught each year, it certainly doesn't seem 'secure' to me. Add to that the tons upon tons of drugs flooding across it, also leaves me to see it as not secure.

Again, our country is protected. The argument out there is how far we go with that protection. How pricey a security system do we go for? It's not like we don't currently have "locks on the doors" of the country.
    See above..

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Just ts a quick google, I haven’t really read up on it much

https://earth.stanford.edu/news/how-...fe#gs.WfgCOZYU
    Quite a few "could's" and "might's". Even with change in migration patterns, they can't even really say for sure if it would affect population in the long run.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    First, i was talking more in general, on liberals. Not thinking you were one..
    But i like the idea of capping at 1 yr.

With how many thousands get caught each year, it certainly doesn't seem 'secure' to me. Add to that the tons upon tons of drugs flooding across it, also leaves me to see it as not secure.

See above..
    I'd much rather see the money (that Mexico is supposed to pay, making this entire shutdown moot) used for more agents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not opposed to a wall as a concept. So what if it is not effective? ..an ineffective wall is their best outcome.

Having no wall could actually work to Trump's favor by telling voters he needs GOP congressmen along with his reelection to get this done. Trump can end this tomorrow and come out better for it if he took that approach. He's worried that come 2020, all he'll be hearing is "Where's the wall?" He would need to articulate that it is the Dems fault...pretty easy to do with his base anyway, so I don't think he'd lose any support by just saying, "Well, you guys elected Dems, this is what happens."
    That is exactly what I think. I think they are afraid the wall will work.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    That is exactly what I think. I think they are afraid the wall will work.
    I think it is so far past actually being about the wall anymore.

Also, trying to figure out why nobody will explain why we're in a shutdown over funding for a wall that Mexico is supposed to be paying for anyway. Did everyone just conveniently forget about that?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quite a few "could's" and "might's". Even with change in migration patterns, they can't even really say for sure if it would affect population in the long run.
    Yeah, I don't know for sure if it will have any impact and am not an expert in any sense of the word....but, I do like wildlife and would be sad if this wall eliminated some.

I'd think a wall hundreds of miles long is bound to have an impact.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 01-24-2019 at 05:31 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't know for sure if it will have any impact and am not an expert in any sense of the word....but, I do like wildlife and would be sad if this wall eliminated some.

I'd think a wall hundreds of miles long is bound to have an impact.
    Kind of like the arguments for/against windmills and off shore tidal power generators. Both options greatly reduce greenhouses gases and are extremely efficient, but they also change migration patterns. Unfortunately, there's no black and white choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    And to be fair, the Democrats in 2019 aren't batting .500, 2019 so far:

- Little negotiation on the big issue that led to the shutdown, we now have a National Emergency to secure funding

- Governor of Virginia exposed as being in blackface or KKK hood - still in office - no protests

- Lt Governor of Virginia exposed as being a serial sexual assaulter and/or rapist - still in office - no protests - meh (#don'tbelieveallvictimsanymore)

- Attorney General of Virginia admits to wearing blackface - still in office - no protests

- Senator Elizabeth Warren proved to be a liar for claiming she never used her imaginary Native American heritage to get ahead when documents were found showing she claimed that as her heritage. Still in office - no protests - declared candidacy for President

- Green New Deal - no more air travel, kill all cows, free money for those 'not willing to work'

- Radical Democrats scuttled the deal for Amazon to have a new HQ in New York - costing thousands of jobs and billions in tax revenue

- Jussie Smollet (looks like) assaulted by violent, MAGA hat wearing homophobes. Evidence doesnt' support initial claim, investigation shows he likely knew 'attackers', looks like a false event - meh.

- Congresswoman voices antisemitism, rebuked by party leadership

- Congresswoman shouts "impeach the MutherF@cker" and notes on the map on her wall relabeling Isreal as Palestine

- Congressman Adam Schiff caught having secret meeting with Fusion GPS founder (provided dossier that initiated surveillance orders on members of the Trump campaign

- Senator Corey Booker declares his candidacy for President after admitting to be a sexual assaulter.

- Senate bipartisan committee finds no evidence of Russian collusion

- Disgraced former FBI exec Andrew McCabe admits the Russian conspiracy was fake and that this 'insurance policy' was backed by crooked participants
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    And to be fair, the Democrats in 2019 aren't batting .500, 2019 so far:

- Little negotiation on the big issue that led to the shutdown, we now have a National Emergency to secure funding
    This has yet to play out.

- Governor of Virginia exposed as being in blackface or KKK hood - still in office - no protests
    Couldn't care less. Hell, we had "slave auctions" during homecoming week, where underclassmen would bid on Senior's to be their slaves for the week. And this was in the early 90s. Nobody thought twice. His blackface in the 80s is so far beyond me caring.

- Lt Governor of Virginia exposed as being a serial sexual assaulter and/or rapist - still in office - no protests - meh (#don'tbelieveallvictimsanymore)
    Very true. I'm ok with it, though. I'm also ok with any Republicans being exposed and staying in office, until there is absolute proof. We need to get past the word of a potential victim (or a potential pissed off ex) being able to ruin a career so easily.

- Attorney General of Virginia admits to wearing blackface - still in office - no protests
    See above

- Senator Elizabeth Warren proved to be a liar for claiming she never used her imaginary Native American heritage to get ahead when documents were found showing she claimed that as her heritage. Still in office - no protests - declared candidacy for President
    This works in Republican's favor

Haven't really heard of the other stuff. I've given up on the sexual assault/sexual abuse stuff. It's to the point now where it's hard to believe the accuser in most cases.

You're talking more about the hypocrisy than the acts themselves, which I get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This has yet to play out.

Couldn't care less. Hell, we had "slave auctions" during homecoming week, where underclassmen would bid on Senior's to be their slaves for the week. And this was in the early 90s. Nobody thought twice. His blackface in the 80s is so far beyond me caring.

Very true. I'm ok with it, though. I'm also ok with any Republicans being exposed and staying in office, until there is absolute proof. We need to get past the word of a potential victim (or a potential pissed off ex) being able to ruin a career so easily.

See above

This works in Republican's favor

Haven't really heard of the other stuff. I've given up on the sexual assault/sexual abuse stuff. It's to the point now where it's hard to believe the accuser in most cases.

You're talking more about the hypocrisy than the acts themselves, which I get.
    All true ... I don't like how the hypocrisy / double standard is ... sadly unsurprising. The Democrats painted themselves (unknowingly?) into a bad position last year with the Justice Kavanaugh confirmation hearings. The suspension of due process, disregard for the concept of innocence until proven guilty, the "I believe survivors" without looking at even the plausibility of the accusation etc. I am willing to say I 'think' someone is guilty (preponderance of the evidence) without absolute proof (like NJP), but to ignore that something looks implausible / fabricated and continue with the 'narrative' ... is sad.

Not saying the Republicans are not as equally hypocritical, the 'whataboutism' knows no party line.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.