Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: White Privilege cited ... against black man

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Didn’t say that was a ‘white privilege’. Maybe blacks are better athletes? Maybe they come from areas that focus on sports because the other circumstances are dead ends or slim. Of the top ten cities that produce NFL athletes (based on population ratios) Cleveland, Cincinnati, New Orleans and St. Louis are 10-7, then Pensacola, Birmingham, Miami and Pittsburgh with Canton and Youngstown Ohio at the top of the list (highest ratio based on NFL players per 10k residents. I look at that list and I see 6 of 10 that have huge concentrations of blacks, 5 that are large urban areas with coincidentally or not, terrible school systems.

Again, maybe the have a propensity to be better at athletics.
    Well if its "White privilege" that whites are better at math/english, by logic then its black privilege that blacks are better at athletics..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Well if its "White privilege" that whites are better at math/english, by logic then its black privilege that blacks are better at athletics..
    Are whites better at math? Or are they benefited by generally having better schools to educate them in math?
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Case in point:

Cumberland City, MD, 89% White alone, Median Household income $32,835, poverty rate 24.4%

All fourteen Allegany County elementary schools received a 4 or 5 star rating. The county's seven middle and high schools received a 3 star rating or higher.

https://www.times-news.com/news/loca...f8f378b09.html

Baltimore City, MD , 30.3% White alone, Median Household income $46,641, poverty rate 22.4%

reading proficiency rates among Baltimore High School graduates hover at around 11 percent, and math proficiency rates hover around 12 percent. This is in a school system that graduates roughly 70 percent of its students each year.

https://thehill.com/opinion/educatio...al-proportions
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-21-2019 at 03:21 AM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Whites have traditionally made more money, that produces more money for schools, that produces better schools, those students are poised to have better jobs ... and the cycle repeats.
    Per pupil revenues for Public schools in Fiscal 2018

Allegany - $15,546 - Percent minority 12%

Baltimore City - $17,211- Percent minority 92%

https://conduitstreet.mdcounties.org...nty-by-county/
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 01-21-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Per pupil revenues for Public schools in Fiscal 2018

Allegany - $15,546 - Percent minority 12%

Baltimore City - $17,211- Percent minority 92%

https://conduitstreet.mdcounties.org...nty-by-county/
    You can't just do a straight dollar for dollar comparison, you have to look at cost of living ratios. What is the cost of living in Allegany Co. vs Baltimore? Bestplaces.com says that to have the same standard of living based on $50k per year income in Cumberland equates to nearly $65k in Baltimore city (23% cheaper to live out there -- it is also a lot prettier, love it there), so by comparison ... adjusted for cost of living, you are spending more on a student in Cumberland than in Baltimore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    When I started posting on this forum in 2007 (same screen name), there were probably close to 20 participants regularly posting on several active threads. It really used to be a super active forum. I think it started going downhill after the site added the ability to add rep points "likes" to a person's comments, which in turn started a "rep war," then nasty name calling between participants...myself included. After this started, people started getting banned from the site, some temporarily, some permanent. Add in the rapid growth in Facebook popularity, this forum basically went on life support. I'm actually surprised it still exists. It used to be a ton of fun getting to respond to new posts and topics each day.
    I've never been a prolific poster but really did enjoy the posts and topics,also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The rep wars and name calling also had the effect of driving away a lot of posters / users who had every conversation / thread derail by the jackassery. In 2013 the site owners recruited a few moderators (probably too many) a couple who clearly had users they did not like; 3 mods retired, then one a while after ... I am the last one but spend most of my time on other things.

The Guidelines never changed, but enforcement of them became a thing and that had a few users leave too. The number of user permanently banned is actually pretty small, but they accounted for significant numbers of posts (but you could argue quality vs quantity all day long).
    Do you have any status on Doc Bones (AKA Unca)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    Do you have any status on Doc Bones (AKA Unca)?
    I last talked to him on the phone about 18 months ago. Last I heard he had some medical issues that he felt would not let him moderate any longer.

I have reached out, thanks for reminding me.