Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Howdy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    I retired as an E-8 after 28 years and I took a job with the VA for awhile as a GS-13. I decided I didn't like the work so I quit and became a full-time retiree. I was a workaholic but I found I enjoyed retirement and have been enjoying the retired life for the past 15 years. As for government finance looking bleak, I seriously doubt any changes to our pension will happen so we can continue to look forward to continuing getting our checks.
    It appears by your forum name you were part of logistics. I've noticed by some of your earlier posts you seemed to be familiar with contracting or finance (both of which at one time were under Logistics).
    Just wondering. Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    It appears by your forum name you were part of logistics. I've noticed by some of your earlier posts you seemed to be familiar with contracting or finance (both of which at one time were under Logistics).
    Just wondering. Thanks.
    I was in Medical Materiel, part of the Medical Logistics Flight, and we're referred to as "LogDog. We do a lot of what Contracting, Finance, and Base Supply does but for the hospitals and clinics. In the medical field, Medical Logistics personnel are know as "LogDogs" and I use the image of the medical "LogDog" as my avatar.

Here's a link that gives a description of what Medical Materiel is:
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ai...ptions-3344351

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I was in Medical Materiel, part of the Medical Logistics Flight, and we're referred to as "LogDog. We do a lot of what Contracting, Finance, and Base Supply does but for the hospitals and clinics. In the medical field, Medical Logistics personnel are know as "LogDogs" and I use the image of the medical "LogDog" as my avatar.

Here's a link that gives a description of what Medical Materiel is:
    https://www.thebalancecareers.com/ai...ptions-3344351
    I spent my civilian career in Contracting and back in the day we supported the Base Hospital which Medical Materiel sent us their requisitions. The credit card program pretty much eliminated all small purchases.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Ain't no mission without a logistician...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I spent my civilian career in Contracting and back in the day we supported the Base Hospital which Medical Materiel sent us their requisitions. The credit card program pretty much eliminated all small purchases.
    The credit card program was a big help for us and for contracting. Before the program, we were walking through emergency requests for items the hospital needed that day or the next. It was a hassle for us and I'm sure you're people didn't like it either.

I oversaw the credit card program for Medical Materiel at two different bases, one in England and one in California. My people were well trained on the program and I made it known they were to stick to only what they could buy and if anyone tried to order or intimidate them into buying something they weren't authorized to buy they were direct them to me. The medical community has some people, both officer and enlisted, who are headstrong and will try to bully people to get what they want. I had no hesitation turning down requests and it didn't matter what rank the person was but I would explain why we couldn't buy what they wanted. Fortunately, that rarely happened because most people in the hospital knew me and knew I wasn't a pushover. At the base in California, our office purchased more items each month than the entire base did and during one yearly inspection of our program by contracting they found only one discrepancy and that was a receipt for an item costing about $15 wasn't with the purchase folder. Not bad for about 1,000 purchases.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The credit card program was a big help for us and for contracting. Before the program, we were walking through emergency requests for items the hospital needed that day or the next. It was a hassle for us and I'm sure you're people didn't like it either.

I oversaw the credit card program for Medical Materiel at two different bases, one in England and one in California. My people were well trained on the program and I made it known they were to stick to only what they could buy and if anyone tried to order or intimidate them into buying something they weren't authorized to buy they were direct them to me. The medical community has some people, both officer and enlisted, who are headstrong and will try to bully people to get what they want. I had no hesitation turning down requests and it didn't matter what rank the person was but I would explain why we couldn't buy what they wanted. Fortunately, that rarely happened because most people in the hospital knew me and knew I wasn't a pushover. At the base in California, our office purchased more items each month than the entire base did and during one yearly inspection of our program by contracting they found only one discrepancy and that was a receipt for an item costing about $15 wasn't with the purchase folder. Not bad for about 1,000 purchases.
    And of course that made contracting look good! I always had a good working relationship with medical materiel. Emergency purchases were usually because of some special need and not poor planning.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    And of course that made contracting look good! I always had a good working relationship with medical materiel. Emergency purchases were usually because of some special need and not poor planning.
    We worked hard to keep good relations with contracting and finance. In the late 70s, at Myrtle Beach AFB, a group of us from Medical Materiel, Contracting, and Finance would get together for lunch at a local steak house. As for emergency purchases, most of the time I saw it as poor planning on the customer’s part. It got so bad at one base we brought it to the attention of the Hospital Commander and he agreed with our suggestion that emergency purchases had to first go through him. The reduced the problem by 99%.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did you ever know a Sgt Matson?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Did you ever know a Sgt Matson?
    The name's not familiar. What base was Sgt Matson at?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The name's not familiar. What base was Sgt Matson at?
    Whiteman, late 70's or early 80's.