Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mjolnir

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    The question of believing in "that stuff" can be applied to any religion. The idea of an omniscient being be responsible for the creation of the Earth and the universe as well has having a "plan" for each and everyone is as believable as Nordic or Greek Gods.
    True...when you take a step back and look at the picture, people worshiping God today are no different than people worshiping different God's hundreds of years ago. I don't disagree with that.

But because of family, cultural immersion, etc...I do think, it is a lot more likely that a person develop a sincere and genuine faith if they've been brought up in it or something closely resembling it...or that the faith has been legitimized culturally with a large number of people, etc.

To just kind of find a religion in a book and decide 'to believe in it'...just seems like a bit more of a stretch to me. That's not to say that the one god is any less or more legitimate in fact...but the faith in it. Just because someone has a sincere and honest faith, does not mean that which they have faith in is more legitimate than another.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    True...when you take a step back and look at the picture, people worshiping God today are no different than people worshiping different God's hundreds of years ago. I don't disagree with that.
    We still kill over religion but fortunately, the killing over religion isn't as bad as it was hundreds of years ago.

But because of family, cultural immersion, etc...I do think, it is a lot more likely that a person develop a sincere and genuine faith if they've been brought up in it or something closely resembling it...or that the faith has been legitimized culturally with a large number of people, etc.
    A person's environmental (familial, cultural, socialization,etc.) factors play a big role in a person's religious beliefs. For some, that's not enough to provide support to the spiritual nature of an individual. When this happens people start looking at other religions to fill their need(s). If they are exposed to other religions and they explore it through books dealing with a particular religion and they find their need(s) filled by another religion they can develop a sincere and genuine faith in that religion. To do this takes an action that shakes the beliefs they were brought up in. If someone wants to do that then I have no problem with it.

To just kind of find a religion in a book and decide 'to believe in it'...just seems like a bit more of a stretch to me. That's not to say that the one god is any less or more legitimate in fact...but the faith in it. Just because someone has a sincere and honest faith, does not mean that which they have faith in is more legitimate than another.
    Christians push their religion by demanding Non-Christians to read and study their book, The Bible. Jehovah Witnesses peddle their religion door-to-door handing out literature. Scientology adherents use their book Dianetics to introduce people to their religion. So if a person reads a book on a particular religion and they like what they read and decide to convert to that religion, is their sincere and genuine faith any less than those of another religion?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    YAAASSSS!!!!!!!

The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I did ask a legitimate question. Here's what you posted in post #4 on this thread.

"Unless they are honestly Nordic through many generations (as Native American's are with their gods) then the sincerity is very questionable."

I legitimate question I asked of you is "Why must ancestry be used as a standard for their sincerity?" in post #6.

So your answer to my legitimate question is...?
    No. You asked a question, but it's not legitimate because you already know the difference between a bunch of guys on a boat worshipping the "authentic" Thor and other's worshipping established religions. But you can keep trying if you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Christians push their religion by demanding Non-Christians to read and study their book, The Bible. Jehovah Witnesses peddle their religion door-to-door handing out literature. Scientology adherents use their book Dianetics to introduce people to their religion. So if a person reads a book on a particular religion and they like what they read and decide to convert to that religion, is their sincere and genuine faith any less than those of another religion?
    Jehovah's Witnesses do not classify themselves as Christian. Neither do Mormons. I can't think of any other religions that go door to door. And neither JW's or Mormons demand you read/study their book. They ask you to, but if you simply say "no thanks, I'm not interested" they'll gladly move to the next house.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    No. You asked a question, but it's not legitimate because you already know the difference between a bunch of guys on a boat worshipping the "authentic" Thor and other's worshipping established religions. But you can keep trying if you like.
    You have failed to provide any evidence that their worshiping isn't "authentic" other than your uninformed opinion. It's also obvious when confronted with a question you can't or won't answer you run away which also tell me how insincere your are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jehovah's Witnesses do not classify themselves as Christian. Neither do Mormons. I can't think of any other religions that go door to door. And neither JW's or Mormons demand you read/study their book. They ask you to, but if you simply say "no thanks, I'm not interested" they'll gladly move to the next house.
    The point I was trying to make is religions tend to promote/convert others to their religion through books/literature. So someone who might have heard of a religion would naturally get an introduction to the religion by reading about it. It doesn't matter if it's Christians, Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, or any other religion because they basically all follow the same playbook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have been LDS / Mormon for 23 years. We definitely consider ourselves Christian ... it’s even in the name: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    We still kill over religion but fortunately, the killing over religion isn't as bad as it was hundreds of years ago.

A person's environmental (familial, cultural, socialization,etc.) factors play a big role in a person's religious beliefs. For some, that's not enough to provide support to the spiritual nature of an individual. When this happens people start looking at other religions to fill their need(s). If they are exposed to other religions and they explore it through books dealing with a particular religion and they find their need(s) filled by another religion they can develop a sincere and genuine faith in that religion. To do this takes an action that shakes the beliefs they were brought up in. If someone wants to do that then I have no problem with it.
    Yeah, I'm not saying I have 'a problem with it'...I'm just curious if these folks genuinely believe in Thor, or it's just kind of a hip thing in their minds to be contrarian and all that...I mean, if that's what they wanna spend their time doing, knock yourself out. I'm more curious than critical of it.

If it is sincere and genuine, then no, it's not any less. If it's just a hipster social club that enjoys reading and discussing Nordic gods...then, that's fine, but I"m not sure it should get the same deference afforded to religious groups. We could argue whether religious groups deserve that deference, also...but, for this topic, my question is more whether this is a legitimate religious group or more of a social group. Not that I have a problem with either one, but my uniformed opinion is that I find it hard to believe it is a genuine and sincere religious faith. Admittedly, this is my opinion and it is uninformed...that's why I"m asking.

It's true that we won't be able to tell definitively if someone's faith is genuine or not, a lot of practicing Christians' faith is not sincere also....so, not much we can do about it if they claim they are true believers that Thor is up there doing whatever it is he does.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's also obvious when confronted with a question you can't or won't answer you run away which also tell me how insincere your are.
    OH...Ouch...personal attacks!!!! Moderator!!!! What are we 12?