Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mjolnir

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Mjolnir

What the hell, man?
    Heathens hold religious services rooted in Norse paganism aboard aircraft carrier

Heathenry is experiencing a resurgence.The polytheistic religion, one that traces its origin to Norse myths that tell of the universe’s creation and prophesy its destructive end, was at one time stifled following the end of the Viking Age and the subsequent spread of Christianity.One such collections of myths, “The Prose Edda” — authored by Icelandic historian, poet and politician Snorri Sturluson sometime around the year 1220 — provides much of what the modern world knows about Norse mythology: Yggdrasil, Asgard and the Aesir, a tribe of gods and goddesses with familiar names like Odin, Thor, Loki, Frigg and Idun.Now, nearly 800 years after Sturluson’s “Edda,” a small group of sailors aboard the aircraft carrier John C. Stennis has adopted these deities as the pillars of their religion, according to a Navy release.The chapel onboard Stennis is where Aviation Electrician’s Mate 2nd Class Joshua Wood, a once-Roman Catholic sailor from Eagle River, Alaska, fills the duties of Heathenry lay leader, a position of religious leadership that must be appointed by a unit’s commanding officer.As the most senior practitioner of Heathenry — he has been observant for five years now — Wood is tasked with leading a small group of sailors devoted to the Norse gods and goddesses in weekly services that are even advertised on the ship’s one-main circuit. ‘OPENED MY EYES’Wood was just in high school when he enrolled in a mythology class that he says “opened my eyes to the Nordic Gods."From there, he examined the famous Eddas, like Sturluson’s, to learn more, eventually coming to the realization that he identified with the polytheistic faith in a way he never had with Catholicism

And in 2013, the image of Mjölnir, commonly known as the Hammer of Thor, was added to the list of symbols that can be used on veteran headstones, such as those at Arlington National Cemetery.Such strides of religious freedoms should help dispel outlandish myths like those disputed by Shaikoski.“Heathenry is a religion of peace and community,” he said. “[It] helped me connect with people on the ship that I would have just passed by.”readmore: https://www.navytimes.com/off-duty/m...craft-carrier/
    Okay, I get maybe you can bond with people and feel welcomed and commit to peace and all that..But, is this a genuine and sincer faith in Nordic gods? Can people really still believe in that stuff? Or is this just trying to 'be cool and interesting' and stand out from the crowd in a hipster way, etc?
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 01-09-2019 at 04:48 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    What the hell, man?Okay, I get maybe you can bond with people and feel welcomed and commit to peace and all that..But, is this a genuine and sincer faith in Nordic gods? Can people really still believe in that stuff? Or is this just trying to 'be cool and interesting' and stand out from the crowd in a hipster way, etc?
    As much as there are Wiccan's, etc. It all started with people "protesting" traditional Christian celebrations in the military, and creating something to "worship" in a way to dare leaders to put a stop to it. Of course, common sense plays no part in "equality". You may be familiar with it, but look up the Spaghetti Monster crap, that is actually recognized as a religion.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    As much as there are Wiccan's, etc. It all started with people "protesting" traditional Christian celebrations in the military, and creating something to "worship" in a way to dare leaders to put a stop to it. Of course, common sense plays no part in "equality". You may be familiar with it, but look up the Spaghetti Monster crap, that is actually recognized as a religion.
    I'm familiar with the Spaghetti Monster, and yes, that is more of a parody of religion and mocking the religious. It is not a sincerely held belief of anyone, of course.

I'm don't think these heathens are necessarily mocking or parodying religion...sounds like they enjoy it, are interested in its many layers, and have a sense of community etc. I just find it hard to believe that anyone has a sincere faith in Thor or whatever...
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 01-09-2019 at 05:03 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I just find it hard to believe that anyone has a sincere faith in Thor or whatever...
    Agree. Unless they are honestly Nordic through many generations (as Native American's are with their gods) then the sincerity is very questionable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What the hell, man?

Okay, I get maybe you can bond with people and feel welcomed and commit to peace and all that..But, is this a genuine and sincer faith in Nordic gods? Can people really still believe in that stuff? Or is this just trying to 'be cool and interesting' and stand out from the crowd in a hipster way, etc?
    The question of believing in "that stuff" can be applied to any religion. The idea of an omniscient being be responsible for the creation of the Earth and the universe as well has having a "plan" for each and everyone is as believable as Nordic or Greek Gods.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agree. Unless they are honestly Nordic through many generations (as Native American's are with their gods) then the sincerity is very questionable.
    People can convert to Judaism so does that mean if there aren't many generations of the ancestors being Jewish is the person converting sincerity questionable? How about people converting to Islam, Hindu, Buddhism, Catholicism, or and other religion or sect of religion?

Why must ancestry be used as a standard for their sincerity?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    People can convert to Judaism so does that mean if there aren't many generations of the ancestors being Jewish is the person converting sincerity questionable? How about people converting to Islam, Hindu, Buddhism, Catholicism, or and other religion or sect of religion?

Why must ancestry be used as a standard for their sincerity?
    If you believe for a second that the people discussed aboard the carrier are "worshipping" for any other reason than to get attention , challenge the "system" and be contrary to the mainstream, then the only sincerity that should be questioned is yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you believe for a second that the people discussed aboard the carrier are "worshipping" for any other reason than to get attention , challenge the "system" and be contrary to the mainstream, then the only sincerity that should be questioned is yours.
    I see you don't want to answer my question.

How do you know the reason is to "...get attention , challenge the "system" and be contrary to the mainstream,...?" Do you have some omniscient power that let's you look into their hearts/minds? What you're stating is an opinion; nothing more, nothing less. Doesn't mean you're right or wrong but it's just your opinion. An opinion that lacks any facts to back-up that opinion.

Now, how about answering the question I put to you earlier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post

Now, how about answering the question I put to you earlier.
    Ask a legitimate question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ask a legitimate question.
    I did ask a legitimate question. Here's what you posted in post #4 on this thread.

"Unless they are honestly Nordic through many generations (as Native American's are with their gods) then the sincerity is very questionable."

I legitimate question I asked of you is "Why must ancestry be used as a standard for their sincerity?" in post #6.

So your answer to my legitimate question is...?