Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mjolnir

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I have been LDS / Mormon for 23 years. We definitely consider ourselves Christian ... it’s even in the name: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
    My mistake...have just been told by otherwise by former LDS coworker. When asked if Mormons were Christian, he'd always say "sort of".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Yeah, I'm not saying I have 'a problem with it'...I'm just curious if these folks genuinely believe in Thor, or it's just kind of a hip thing in their minds to be contrarian and all that...I mean, if that's what they wanna spend their time doing, knock yourself out. I'm more curious than critical of it.

If it is sincere and genuine, then no, it's not any less. If it's just a hipster social club that enjoys reading and discussing Nordic gods...then, that's fine, but I"m not sure it should get the same deference afforded to religious groups. We could argue whether religious groups deserve that deference, also...but, for this topic, my question is more whether this is a legitimate religious group or more of a social group. Not that I have a problem with either one, but my uniformed opinion is that I find it hard to believe it is a genuine and sincere religious faith. Admittedly, this is my opinion and it is uninformed...that's why I"m asking.

It's true that we won't be able to tell definitively if someone's faith is genuine or not, a lot of practicing Christians' faith is not sincere also....so, not much we can do about it if they claim they are true believers that Thor is up there doing whatever it is he does.
    Nordic "religion" has had a comeback over the past couple years. A big factor in that is the History (Biography?) channel show "Vikings". Great show, IMO. When they come out with a hit TV show about the ancient Romans, you'll see people start "worshipping" Zeus.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    Nordic "religion" has had a comeback over the past couple years. A big factor in that is the History (Biography?) channel show "Vikings". Great show, IMO. When they come out with a hit TV show about the ancient Romans, you'll see people start "worshipping" Zeus.
    Okay, so maybe this is more to the point. The ancient Romans used gods to describe natural phenomenon that we now know more about through science. So, it would be a bit of a stretch to find someone that has a genuine faith that a lightening storm is Zeus throwing around some magic, etc. You know what I mean...we have science now. So, I get that someone can be interested in Roman gods and study it...have groups to talk about it if you want....but I'd find it a bit of a stretch if they'd say they have a genuine and sincere faith that the ancient Romans had it right all the time and all of these things really are controlled by the gods.

I don't know if Nordic gods are like that...don't know much about ol Thor, it's never been an interest of mine.

Kind of like this Flat Earth Society thing on the internet. I'd think that 99% of its members don't actually believe the earth is flat, they just think it's cool to be contrarian and show they are above and immune to societal groupthink that leads all of us lowly lemmings astray as we are controlled by the MSM...or they are just flat out trolls
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 01-10-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Okay, so maybe this is more to the point. The ancient Romans used gods to describe natural phenomenon that we now know more about through science. So, it would be a bit of a stretch to find someone that has a genuine faith that a lightening storm is Zeus throwing around some magic, etc. You know what I mean...we have science now. So, I get that someone can be interested in Roman gods and study it...have groups to talk about it if you want....but I'd find it a bit of a stretch if they'd say they have a genuine and sincere faith that the ancient Romans had it right all the time and all of these things really are controlled by the gods.

I don't know if Nordic gods are like that...don't know much about ol Thor, it's never been an interest of mine.

Kind of like this Flat Earth Society thing on the internet. I'd think that 99% of its members don't actually believe the earth is flat, they just think it's cool to be contrarian and show they are above and immune to societal groupthink that leads all of us lowly lemmings astray as we are controlled by the MSM...or they are just flat out trolls
    Yeah, the Nordic Gods/Greek Gods are almost identical (with different names. I mistakenly put that Zeus was Roman. My mistake.So Nordic Thor/God of Thunder-Greek Zeus/God of Thunder-Romans had similar.

As far as flat earther's, you're absolutely right.

I'd be willing to bet that the Nordic God people in question are a bunch of the millenial sailors trying to find different ways to push buttons.
    Last edited by AF sgt; 01-10-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I'm not saying I have 'a problem with it'...I'm just curious if these folks genuinely believe in Thor, or it's just kind of a hip thing in their minds to be contrarian and all that...I mean, if that's what they wanna spend their time doing, knock yourself out. I'm more curious than critical of it.
    The DoD recognizes Heathen as a faith and belief organization as well as over 100 other organizations so if a group of Heathens want to be treated other recognized groups then I see no problem with it.
    http://americanhumanist.org/wp-conte...ce-Members.pdf

If it is sincere and genuine, then no, it's not any less. If it's just a hipster social club that enjoys reading and discussing Nordic gods...then, that's fine, but I"m not sure it should get the same deference afforded to religious groups. We could argue whether religious groups deserve that deference, also...but, for this topic, my question is more whether this is a legitimate religious group or more of a social group. Not that I have a problem with either one, but my uniformed opinion is that I find it hard to believe it is a genuine and sincere religious faith. Admittedly, this is my opinion and it is uninformed...that's why I"m asking.

It's true that we won't be able to tell definitively if someone's faith is genuine or not, a lot of practicing Christians' faith is not sincere also....so, not much we can do about it if they claim they are true believers that Thor is up there doing whatever it is he does.
    Actions speak louder than words. There will always be people using some type of religious excuse to get out of work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AF sgt View Post
    OH...Ouch...personal attacks!!!! Moderator!!!! What are we 12?
    Not a personal attack but a valid observation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Not a personal attack but a valid observation.
    The reason I'm not going to answer is because I'm giving you credit for being smart enough to recognize the difference, without falling into the internet forum trap of someone trying to catch me in a self contradiction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    The DoD recognizes Heathen as a faith and belief organization as well as over 100 other organizations so if a group of Heathens want to be treated other recognized groups then I see no problem with it.
    http://americanhumanist.org/wp-conte...ce-Members.pdf

They recognize it because they are too scared to put common sense before political correctness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I never thought that Christians actually believed in any of that nonsense of Jesus, virgins having babies, talking burning bushes, Noah's ark, living in a whale, etc...

I always just figured that they used it all as an excuse to be condescending, hate gays, and to oppress women and people of a different skin color.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    I never thought that Christians actually believed in any of that nonsense of Jesus, virgins having babies, talking burning bushes, Noah's ark, living in a whale, etc...
    Don't forget. Jews also believe in those things. Muslims believe in some of those things.

I always just figured that they used it all as an excuse to be condescending, hate gays, and to oppress women and people of a different skin color.
    'Cuz there's only white Christians.

If I didn't know better, I'd say that obvious trolling is obvious.