Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump signs order to create US Space Command

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Trump signs order to create US Space Command

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump launched the Pentagon’s new Space Command on Tuesday, an effort to better organize and advance the military’s vast operations in space that could cost as much as $800 million over the next five years. Trump signed a one-page memorandum Tuesday authorizing the Department of Defense to create the new command.

The goal is to set up a command to oversee and organize space operations, accelerate technical advances and find more effective ways to defend U.S. assets in space, including the vast constellations of satellites that American forces rely on for navigation, communications and surveillance. The move comes amid growing concerns that China and Russia are working on ways to disrupt, disable or even destroy U.S. satellites.

read more: https://www.defensenews.com/space/20...space-command/
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So when we gonna go off and fight the Gou'ald??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    An authorization without an appropriation is meaningless.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Correct. Congress would have to approve the appropriations to fund a space force.

What Trump did is far from his original proposal of having a Space Force as a separate military branch. If he was going for a separate branch of the military then it would be Congress who would have to approve its creation.

What I'm not understanding is we already have an AF Space Command so what is he really creating? The memorandum link from the original post doesn't provide enough details about what the United States Space Command is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Meaning it won't happen...ever.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Correct. Congress would have to approve the appropriations to fund a space force.

What Trump did is far from his original proposal of having a Space Force as a separate military branch. If he was going for a separate branch of the military then it would be Congress who would have to approve its creation.

What I'm not understanding is we already have an AF Space Command so what is he really creating? The memorandum link from the original post doesn't provide enough details about what the United States Space Command is.
    I believe it is a Unified Combat Command...equivalent to like US Southern Command or US Central Command....forces from mulitple services that actually conduct the war fighting.

But, correct, this is not a separate Space Force
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post

Congress will need to approve & provide appropriations for the immediate funding need (~$800M and estimated to be ~$5B over the 5 year FYDP). Also, Congress will have to approve the new 4-star billet (& likely 3 star deputy); both of the billet confirmations come from the Senate, so still likely doable, but the spending is already in question in the DoD.

As I have read it, the AF currently has oversight on pretty much all space via AFSPACECOM, but at least for the Navy ... a lot of reliance on space, satellites etc. for comms, C5I and precision OTH targeting. Also, USN and ballistic missile defense has had issues with AFSPACE, a USSPACECOM would consolidate the joint aspects of the mission and loosen USAF sole-control. We used to have a USSPACECOM that did this, it was disestablished and the operational impacts were negative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Meaning it won't happen...ever.
    I wouldn't say ever, but it will require cooperation from Congress, which next month will be a split D / R environment.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I wouldn't say ever, but it will require cooperation from Congress, which next month will be a split D / R environment.
    Seems like a pretty logical path forward. Space is increasingly becoming the next battlefield, I think.

I would suppose Congress gets it.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Congress will need to approve & provide appropriations for the immediate funding need (~$800M and estimated to be ~$5B over the 5 year FYDP).
    Is that all 'new' funding? Wouldn't a lot of it just be a re-org of current forces into a different command?

Also, Congress will have to approve the new 4-star billet (& likely 3 star deputy); both of the billet confirmations come from the Senate, so still likely doable, but the spending is already in question in the DoD.

As I have read it, the AF currently has oversight on pretty much all space via AFSPACECOM, but at least for the Navy ... a lot of reliance on space, satellites etc. for comms, C5I and precision OTH targeting. Also, USN and ballistic missile defense has had issues with AFSPACE, a USSPACECOM would consolidate the joint aspects of the mission and loosen USAF sole-control. We used to have a USSPACECOM that did this, it was disestablished and the operational impacts were negative.
    The Voice of Reason