Thread: U.S. Navy admiral Scott Stearney found dead in apparent suicide

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

U.S. Navy admiral Scott Stearney found dead in apparent suicide

Vice Adm. Scott Stearney, who oversaw U.S. naval forces in the Middle East, was found dead Saturday in his residence in Bahrain, officials said. Defense officials told CBS News they are calling it an "apparent suicide."
    Stearney was the commander of the U.S. Navy's Bahrain-based 5th Fleet. Rear Adm. Paul Schlise, the deputy commander of the 5th Fleet, has assumed command, the Navy said in a statement.
    "This is devastating news for the Stearney family, for the team at 5th Fleet, and for the entire U.S. Navy," Chief of Naval Operations Adm. John Richardson said. "Scott Stearney was a decorated Naval warrior. He was a devoted husband and father, and he was a good friend to all."

readmore: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scott-s...de-2018-12-01/
    Condolences to the family...tragic and I'd guess very puzzling.

I was talking to a couple people the other day, and someone brought up the idea that why don't we have 'mental health checkups' like we do dental and other health? I don't think you have a mental health provider ever talk to you unless you go in with a problem. So, spitballing here, but...

Would it be practical to schedule everyone for an annual mental health check-up?

Could there even be like a 2-3 day mental health retreat that is normal maintenance for all military personnel? Maybe 'therapy' is a better word....seems like a lot of more wealthy folks go to regular therapy, not because they have a problem, but because it serves their better overall interests to be mentally well and understand more about themselves, whatever. I'm guessing it's expensive and not covered by insurance which is why it seems mostly rich people do it.

I think mental health is not like other health that they can do a blood test or scan and see something...I think generally you need a patient that recognizes a problem and wants help, but I'm no expert...is there screening, etc. that can identify problems the patient may not even be aware of?

Also wondering if everyone having to go to mental health as a normal routine would remove some of the stigma when people are seen as 'going to mental health'....
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 12-05-2018 at 04:05 PM.
    The Voice of Reason