Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force fires three Laughlin AFB commanders over 'chronic leadership failures'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Air Force fires three Laughlin AFB commanders over 'chronic leadership failures'

WASHINGTON — The Air Force removed three top commanders at Laughlin Air Force Base on Wednesday citing concerns about dangerous and threatening behavior at the major pilot training installation in Texas, the service’s Air Education and Training Command announced. The chief of AETC, Lt. Gen. Steven Kwast, fired Col. Charles Velino, the commander of the 47th Flying Training Wing, and the commanders of its operations group and flying training squadron citing “chronic leadership failures” raised in an investigation into widespread officer misconduct within the unit, according to an Air Force statement released Wednesday. The statement did not name the commanders of the operations group or the flying training squadron.

https://www.stripes.com/news/air-for...lures-1.554498
    So, apparently, this had to do with drinking 'shots' and giving out pilot call signs....a normal practice, I guess. But one female pilot was given a 'vulgar' call sign that was inappropriate. The pilot did not complain about it or think it was a big deal...but somehow word got up and house was cleaned.

More to the story, I'm sure...there was also something about a threat being given to someone....no details on who threatened who or why.

Call signs should probably be somewhat professional since it actually follows the pilot through their career....I think it's a cool tradition, but always some knuckleheads will mess it up for everyone.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    The pilot did not complain about it or think it was a big deal...but somehow word got up and house was cleaned.
    Someone found it inappropriate.

Agree that not only do call signs follow pilots / aircrew, but appear in logs, transcripts etc. Guidance has been out for some time on call signs not being vulgar, offensive etc.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Someone found it inappropriate.
    That's something i've always hated about this whole PC culture bull.. How i can say something to you, and even if YOU ARE Not offended, but someone else, who wasn't even there got offended, i get done for..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That's something i've always hated about this whole PC culture bull.. How i can say something to you, and even if YOU ARE Not offended, but someone else, who wasn't even there got offended, i get done for..
    In a mixed / non private environment, it really doesn’t matter. I would argue that isn’t PC, but basic courtesy.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    In a mixed / non private environment, it really doesn’t matter. I would argue that isn’t PC, but basic courtesy.
    I disagree. Especially if the person whining about being offended, wasn't even THERE For when you said it.

And with all the crap people these days, seem to get offended by, that would almost make it to where you might as well not speak to a single person in ear shot of anyone else, just to avoid the potential to not offend anyone, anywhere, ever..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I disagree. Especially if the person whining about being offended, wasn't even THERE For when you said it.

And with all the crap people these days, seem to get offended by, that would almost make it to where you might as well not speak to a single person in ear shot of anyone else, just to avoid the potential to not offend anyone, anywhere, ever..
    It is about a work environment that is available / confortable for everyone ... even if they aren't there at the time.

If you feel like you can’t talk to someone while in earshot of someone else ... that may mean that what you are saying probably doesn’t belong at work.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

So, when you find out second-hand that your boss sits around bashing conservatives and telling anti-Christian jokes when you're not around...that's okay, cuz you're not there to be offended?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Gah...have to maintain a professional work environment.
    The Voice of Reason

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Progressives (not traditional DEMS) want to punish or outright ban ANY speech 'deemed' offensive, and unfortunately that sentiment has to a degree spread into the mainstream military. Whether it's a "baby it's cold outside" song, Rudolph's harassment, or the EU's proposed banning of so-called offensive Mohammed comments as hate speech, I think the PC culture is only going to get worse. Younger folks are more indoctrinated into believing free speech doesn't apply to hate speech, and hate speech can be a label you can apply to anything subjectively deemed offensive.