Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Force fires three Laughlin AFB commanders over 'chronic leadership failures'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I disagree. Especially if the person whining about being offended, wasn't even THERE For when you said it.

And with all the crap people these days, seem to get offended by, that would almost make it to where you might as well not speak to a single person in ear shot of anyone else, just to avoid the potential to not offend anyone, anywhere, ever..
    It is about a work environment that is available / confortable for everyone ... even if they aren't there at the time.

If you feel like you can’t talk to someone while in earshot of someone else ... that may mean that what you are saying probably doesn’t belong at work.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I disagree. Especially if the person whining about being offended, wasn't even THERE For when you said it.

And with all the crap people these days, seem to get offended by, that would almost make it to where you might as well not speak to a single person in ear shot of anyone else, just to avoid the potential to not offend anyone, anywhere, ever..
    So, when you find out second-hand that your boss sits around bashing conservatives and telling anti-Christian jokes when you're not around...that's okay, cuz you're not there to be offended?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Since i am agnostic (i've mentioned that a few times in the past), no i wouldn't be offended if he said that, especially if i wasn't there..

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's something i've always hated about this whole PC culture bull.. How i can say something to you, and even if YOU ARE Not offended, but someone else, who wasn't even there got offended, i get done for..
    Progressives (not traditional DEMS) want to punish or outright ban ANY speech 'deemed' offensive, and unfortunately that sentiment has to a degree spread into the mainstream military. Whether it's a "baby it's cold outside" song, Rudolph's harassment, or the EU's proposed banning of so-called offensive Mohammed comments as hate speech, I think the PC culture is only going to get worse. Younger folks are more indoctrinated into believing free speech doesn't apply to hate speech, and hate speech can be a label you can apply to anything subjectively deemed offensive.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Progressives (not traditional DEMS) want to punish or outright ban ANY speech 'deemed' offensive, and unfortunately that sentiment has to a degree spread into the mainstream military. Whether it's a "baby it's cold outside" song, Rudolph's harassment, or the EU's proposed banning of so-called offensive Mohammed comments as hate speech, I think the PC culture is only going to get worse. Younger folks are more indoctrinated into believing free speech doesn't apply to hate speech, and hate speech can be a label you can apply to anything subjectively deemed offensive.
    My thoughts exactly. Its going to just keep getting worse and worse, till you no longer have free speech.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS View Post
    Progressives (not traditional DEMS) want to punish or outright ban ANY speech 'deemed' offensive, and unfortunately that sentiment has to a degree spread into the mainstream military. Whether it's a "baby it's cold outside" song, Rudolph's harassment, or the EU's proposed banning of so-called offensive Mohammed comments as hate speech, I think the PC culture is only going to get worse. Younger folks are more indoctrinated into believing free speech doesn't apply to hate speech, and hate speech can be a label you can
    Two guys in a cubicle may be having a conversation between them, if someone on the other side of the cube wall can hear it and it is offensive based on a 'reasonable person' standard ... it isn't okay. I think many folks are mixing / blurring the waters and only thinking of 'extreme PC' or 'extreme offensive'; neither is acceptable in a work environment.

Agree that many today are being taught that anything offensive is 'hate speech' and the incorrect idea that hate speech is not protected under the 1st Amendment. At the same time, too many people think that the 1st Amendment means they can say anything, anytime, anywhere ... which also isn't correct ... at least per the Supreme Court. Mainly this applies to obscenity or 'fighting words' (search for Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire) and most of the things that I would remind someone isn't permitted at work falls into this category and frankly on company time / dime ... the company can set the tone for what type of work environment they want. Google, Facebook, Twitter seem to have gone progressive dominant while there are plenty of environments that are conservative dominant.

I would never tell someone not to discuss politics or religion at work, but I would say that those two subjects almost always end up with hyper polarized positions which is frankly why I avoid discussing them at all. Unfortunately, more problematic that people thinking anything progressive is PC or anything conservative is racist is the inability of people to have an intelligent discussion with someone who has an opposing view ... this is really why we are where we are.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Two guys in a cubicle may be having a conversation between them, if someone on the other side of the cube wall can hear it and it is offensive based on a 'reasonable person' standard ... it isn't okay. I think many folks are mixing / blurring the waters and only thinking of 'extreme PC' or 'extreme offensive'; neither is acceptable in a work environment.

Agree that many today are being taught that anything offensive is 'hate speech' and the incorrect idea that hate speech is not protected under the 1st Amendment. At the same time, too many people think that the 1st Amendment means they can say anything, anytime, anywhere ... which also isn't correct ... at least per the Supreme Court. Mainly this applies to obscenity or 'fighting words' (search for Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire) and most of the things that I would remind someone isn't permitted at work falls into this category and frankly on company time / dime ... the company can set the tone for what type of work environment they want. Google, Facebook, Twitter seem to have gone progressive dominant while there are plenty of environments that are conservative dominant.

I would never tell someone not to discuss politics or religion at work, but I would say that those two subjects almost always end up with hyper polarized positions which is frankly why I avoid discussing them at all. Unfortunately, more problematic that people thinking anything progressive is PC or anything conservative is racist is the inability of people to have an intelligent discussion with someone who has an opposing view ... this is really why we are where we are.
    Great post, and I completely agree with you.