Thread: Two active shooter drills on an Air Force base. A real injured jogger. That's where t

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Two active shooter drills on an Air Force base. A real injured jogger. That's where t

CNN)On an August morning at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, the medical treatment facility was holding a mass casualty drill. Personnel acting as the injured streamed in. Across the base, unbeknownst to the medical staff, a second active shooter drill was taking place, with a second set of people pretending to be injured. Then a real injured person came on the scene: someone who worked at the medical facility hurt their ankle jogging on base, and called another employee screaming and crying. There was an "incredible convergence of stimuli," Col. Thomas Sherman, commander of the 88th Air Base Wing, told reporters Wednesday. "Sounds, yells, sights. All of those things that are really testing the senses."

In the confusion, someone in the emergency room called the Base Defense Operations Center reporting a real active shooter. Events spiraled from there.

"A breakdown of communication led to a completely uncoordinated and ineffective combined response that could have resulted in serious injury or property damage," the Air Force said in a report summarizing the findings of its investigation into the incident.

In the confusion, someone in the emergency room called the base's defense operations center reporting a real active shooter, the report said. The hospital broadcasted a "Code Silver" alert over its intercom system alerting hospital staff to an active shooter situation, and the hospital went into lockdown. When one employee heard the "Code Silver" alert, they called 911 on their cell phone -- and civilian law enforcement rushed to respond -- what's known as a Code 99 response.

Units from the Dayton area and the state of Ohio responded en masse. At the same time, authorities on base requested a SWAT team. They didn't know about the Code 99 response. Soon there were officers all over the hospital grounds. "We had a sincere effort from the local community to come provide support. ... They rapidly responded to an event that was unfolding that they believed to be true," Sherman said.

Some of them had problems communicating with the incident commander -- Sherman said that would be the base fire chief on duty -- because the Air Force and local police systems didn't work together. Some never checked in with the incident commander, the Air Force said. Some who did had trouble identifying the chief on the radio. Air Force security went into the hospital. And when one airman encountered a locked door, five shots were fired.

read more: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/19/us/ai...ion/index.html

Holy Sh!t
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jiminy F-ing Christmas.

The incident report is available as well, will link it later.

A couple thoughts:

-whoever was running the exercise should get canned.
    -incident commander should be at least reprimanded possibly fired depending on any past issues / performance)
    -the base ops-center (do they have one) needs a TTP review immediately.
    -the battle captain in the OPSCENTER should be the one deconflicting exercise and real world stimulus, not the exercise lead not the incident commander. At the first indication / report of real world event ALL STOP on the exercise and the incident commander is in charge.
    -their comms plan and net verification sucked. If individuals on the net can not verify the incident commander’s ID or instructions ... that is a fail.
    -the SP that discharged seems to have not followed proper procedure to breach the door (using an M4 to destroy a lock).

Questions I would be looking at:

-if not already done, establish a working group with 30 days to look at this and provide a POA&M to address root causes and establish a get well plan. Have to have involvement with civilian law enforcer and emergency services.
    -is it normal for the fire chief to be the incident commander for an active shooter. Every command I have been at where I knew the procedures (current and last 3) it was law enforcement / security.
    -did the exercise drill package account for intersect with real world events? What was the ALL STOP signal / procedure?
    -had previous drills with the same package been run on non-duty dayside? Every day is a “duty day” at the hospital, I mean on a Sat or Sun when volume in the facility would be lower. Run the drill on a slow day, work up to a full blown busy day.
    -fix that comms plan.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Jiminy F-ing Christmas.

The incident report is available as well, will link it later.

A couple thoughts:

-whoever was running the exercise should get canned.
    Surely.

-incident commander should be at least reprimanded possibly fired depending on any past issues / performance)
    -the base ops-center (do they have one) needs a TTP review immediately.
    -the battle captain in the OPSCENTER should be the one deconflicting exercise and real world stimulus, not the exercise lead not the incident commander. At the first indication / report of real world event ALL STOP on the exercise and the incident commander is in charge.
    -their comms plan and net verification sucked. If individuals on the net can not verify the incident commander’s ID or instructions ... that is a fail.
    -the SP that discharged seems to have not followed proper procedure to breach the door (using an M4 to destroy a lock).

Questions I would be looking at:

-if not already done, establish a working group with 30 days to look at this and provide a POA&M to address root causes and establish a get well plan. Have to have involvement with civilian law enforcer and emergency services.
    -is it normal for the fire chief to be the incident commander for an active shooter. Every command I have been at where I knew the procedures (current and last 3) it was law enforcement / security.
    I thought that was odd too for the fire chief to be in charge of this scenario.

-did the exercise drill package account for intersect with real world events? What was the ALL STOP signal / procedure?
    -had previous drills with the same package been run on non-duty dayside? Every day is a “duty day” at the hospital, I mean on a Sat or Sun when volume in the facility would be lower. Run the drill on a slow day, work up to a full blown busy day.
    -fix that comms plan.
    People calling 911 based on exercise scenario or confusion is a pretty tough problem to wrap arms around, but really mucks things up....of course, you want people to call in a real emergency, but it seemed odd that one person called based off of a 'Silver Alert' they received. If you received an alert, wouldn't you assume that the necessary authorities already know of the incident and there is no need to call it in?

I don't get that. I get alerts on my phone for Amber Alerts, Evacuations or 'Shelter in Place' notifications...would never think of calling 911 to report it, that seems dumb.

As I understand it, 911 calls from base landlines go to a base emer center...where perhaps this could've been dealt with easier as far as the communication chain...but 911 calls from cell phones go to local area off base dispatchers. That might be something we need to work on.

All around, this sounds like a huge cluster...but probably the cop gets held accountable, but few others.

At one base I was stationed at, they'd built a mini-base out in the middle of the desert away from the main base...and exercises were run over there. It kept non-participants out of the way and avoided a lot of main base confusion. Not sure it's right for every scenario, of course, but those were some of the best exercises I've been involved in because everyone was all-in, there wasn't a mix of non-players vs. players etc.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 12-21-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    The Voice of Reason