Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: White nationalists in the services, more of a threat than syria and iran??

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by meatbringer View Post
    Ha! This thread is freaking hilarious! Anti-Semetic hate crimes up by 57% since Trump's election; hate crimes against minorities steadily increasing since MAGA; Nazi rallies; MAGA hats marching in the streets of Charlottesville chanting "Hail Trump" and "Jews will not replace us!" before they murdered and injured the "Stop the hate" crowd protesters; peaceful protesters getting the sh!t beat out of them at PRESIDENTIAL GATHERINGS for holding "Stop the Hate" signs; the president instigating and calling for the "roughing up" and beating of peaceful protestors at rallies; right wing extremist terrorist acts accounting for more than 70% of terrorist acts in the country; MAGA hat wearers shooting up black churches and mailing bombs to people Trump doesn't like....

But yeah, boo freaking hoo...The "love" and "Stop the Hate" sign holders aren't nice enough to conservatives. This entire forum has become nothing but a Fox News outlet. Christ...
    I hope you had a nice, peaceful Thanksgiving.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Nothing you said has anything to do with the white nationists in the military or this survey

#offtopic
    Sure, and neither did the few messages leading up to mine, but that didn't seem to bother you. Besides, I was merely pointing out how the topic (white nationalists - an actual problem) eventually devolved into complaints about liberals not being nice to conservatives. Hilarious and typical.

#offtopic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This article would suggest that right wing extremist violence is on the rise, going back a decade or more. According to the charts, right wing based extremist incidents are more prevalent that left wing and Islamic extremist incidents combined, while the fatality count is higher in the other direction.

Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.fc997ac8fbdd

From what I have read / heard, many of the perpetrators are pretty obvious candidates for extremist activity; what is alarming is the seemingly 'normal' people with the hidden side that pop up out of nowhere. Think the latter is more prevalent in incidents related to the military.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sure, and neither did the few messages leading up to mine, but that didn't seem to bother you.
    Maybe one was not on topic, but was in response to a previous topic comment....but, I'm not here to police the threads. But, this was sort of a

"Hey, your house is on fire."...
    "No, it's not, I"m in my house and it's fine."
    "OMG! this is hilarious, a third of the state of California is on fire, the worst fires in history and you're denying it...how typical!!"

Besides, I was merely pointing out how the topic (white nationalists - an actual problem) eventually devolved into complaints about liberals not being nice to conservatives. Hilarious and typical.

#offtopic
    I agree that conservative victimhood is strong in these parts.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 11-27-2018 at 02:15 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    what is alarming is the seemingly 'normal' people with the hidden side that pop up out of nowhere.
    ...it no longer surprises me at all.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    This article would suggest that right wing extremist violence is on the rise, going back a decade or more. According to the charts, right wing based extremist incidents are more prevalent that left wing and Islamic extremist incidents combined, while the fatality count is higher in the other direction.

Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.fc997ac8fbdd

From what I have read / heard, many of the perpetrators are pretty obvious candidates for extremist activity; what is alarming is the seemingly 'normal' people with the hidden side that pop up out of nowhere. Think the latter is more prevalent in incidents related to the military.
    You don't see too many articles or research dedicated to incidents in the military. Well, at least I haven't stumbled across many, other than the initial news article when an incident does occur. Is this because they are so few and far in-between, or do such incidents occur more frequently than I am aware of. If so, do you feel that there is a common denominator with these "seemingly normal people with a hidden side?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You don't see too many articles or research dedicated to incidents in the military. Well, at least I haven't stumbled across many, other than the initial news article when an incident does occur. Is this because they are so few and far in-between, or do such incidents occur more frequently than I am aware of. If so, do you feel that there is a common denominator with these "seemingly normal people with a hidden side?"
    IMO, there are a few reasons we don’t hear much about incidents in the military:

-definitive substantiation is difficult (being an asshole to someone who is a minority doesn’t automatically equate to racism or bigotry, maybe the person is just an ass).

-informal grievance/ resolution prevents formal statistics from establishing a good aggregate.

-reluctance in reporting; even today ... some people are worried about repercussions.

-the issue is not as widespread as sensational reporting of what really are isolated incidents would have us think. Reporting does not accurately reflect the vast majority of military personnel’s experiences.

Why do “seemingly normal people” hide extremist views? What are the common denominators?

-people like or at least like having their jobs. Being more open about their sentiments risk that.

-the prevalence of leadership / supervisors to say ‘doesn’t happen at work, not my problem’.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.