Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Military "Honor units" at sport events?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Hold the flip on. WE PAY THEM? What the schmuck..

If anything, THEY Should be the ones paying US.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Hold the flip on. WE PAY THEM? What the schmuck..

If anything, THEY Should be the ones paying US.
    We were. I don't know if they still are...there was a big stink raised about it a couple years ago by Sen. McCain (RIP).

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nat...s/201511060140

Last year, the NFL actually returned some of the money when it did an audit. So, I can't say if it's still going on today.

I think it was looked at as commercial advertising and paid for that way....or the services sponsoring a NASCAR car...which I don't think they do that anymore either. The services say that it helps recruiting and is a recruiting expense.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    We were. I don't know if they still are...there was a big stink raised about it a couple years ago by Sen. McCain (RIP).

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/nat...s/201511060140

Last year, the NFL actually returned some of the money when it did an audit. So, I can't say if it's still going on today.

I think it was looked at as commercial advertising and paid for that way....or the services sponsoring a NASCAR car...which I don't think they do that anymore either. The services say that it helps recruiting and is a recruiting expense.
    We pay, it comes from PA & recruiting money.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    We pay, it comes from PA & recruiting money.
    I don't have a problem with it. Apparently, with the high visibility, the Audit Agencies or GAO would have flagged it if it was a fiscal problem.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Has there ever been any sort of study done to show just how many folks who ARE recruited mention "IT was cause i saw XYZ at a football game", to actually JUSTIFY all that expenditure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Has there ever been any sort of study done to show just how many folks who ARE recruited mention "IT was cause i saw XYZ at a football game", to actually JUSTIFY all that expenditure?
    While I haven't changed my view on there being a benefit to this type of advertising, I did do a little more research on the subject. I was also surprised that the services paid the NFL for "patriotic" appearances. One GAO study did show there was no real correlation on the cost of advertising with the number of recruits. As Bos pointed out the NFL did refund some monies on this. While you can't really put a monetary value on it I think those performances could have an impact on recruiting and retention. I know I still get a little emotional when I see the B-2 or other aircraft do the flyovers at these events.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    WWhile you can't really put a monetary value on it I think those performances could have an impact on recruiting and retention. I know I still get a little emotional when I see the B-2 or other aircraft do the flyovers at these events.
    I'd tend to agree. It's not like you'll have X amount of recruits state, "I saw an honor ceremony so I enlisted."....but, the 'honor' showed to the military contributes to an overall positive impression and 'good feelings' about the military, and it reinforces those ideas along with other things that make the military an attractive career for many people.

But, I don't think we'd find what Gark is looking for, '50,000 people called the recruiters office after seeing the NFL presentations.'....doesn't quite work like that.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agree, doubt there is some kind of metric that states of x recruits y stated that [particular recruiting / PA campaign] was the cause of enlistment.

I don’t mind the expenditure too much. If the military “retreats” to being an unseen group that the public doesn’t really ID with (worse than the do now).

That said, am also not a fan of over, hyped, and politicized patriotism that I often see.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.