Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military "Honor units" at sport events?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Military "Honor units" at sport events?

With all the stuff in the news over the past year and change, about the kneeling in the NFL, and the like. How do those in the mil feel, when they are asked (or voluntold) to go do an honor guard type extra duty at a sporting event, whether holding out the flag, or the like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    With all the stuff in the news over the past year and change, about the kneeling in the NFL, and the like. How do those in the mil feel, when they are asked (or voluntold) to go do an honor guard type extra duty at a sporting event, whether holding out the flag, or the like?
    Sometimes it has been cool-- treated well, fed, met some pros. Sometimes it has been a PITA.

Its public relations, nothing more nothing less.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I suspect that those selected are top performers and are proud to represent the military regardless if some NFL player chooses to kneel rather than stand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I suspect that those selected are top performers and are proud to represent the military regardless if some NFL player chooses to kneel rather than stand.
    We are conveniently wedged between Baltimore and DC so we get tagged for COMRELs pretty regularly for NFL, MLB and some NBA & NHL stuff. We almost always have a lot more volunteers than we need. The only time I recall “ voluntelling” Sailors was on a holiday weekend, and we used our duty section for that day ... so it technically wasn’t a day off.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I don't see how it would have any effect or impact whatsoever. I honestly don't even see how they would be related.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    We are conveniently wedged between Baltimore and DC so we get tagged for COMRELs pretty regularly for NFL, MLB and some NBA & NHL stuff. We almost always have a lot more volunteers than we need. The only time I recall “ voluntelling” Sailors was on a holiday weekend, and we used our duty section for that day ... so it technically wasn’t a day off.
    That's kind of surprising. I'd have thought a lot of the mil would be shunning the NFL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's kind of surprising. I'd have thought a lot of the mil would be shunning the NFL.
    Why do you think they would?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Why do you think they would?
    Because Fox "News" said that it's about spoiled black millionaires hating America and disrespecting the flag and veterans!

The truth, however, is that it's their right to protest an injustice in this country that they feel affects them, and it has nothing to do with disrespecting the flag or veterans. Rational, logical thinking veterans realize that they serve in order to preserve that right, and not to cherry-pick protests or rights that only they agree with.

Besides, it was originally an AD soldier who initially proposed the idea for Kaepernick to kneel during the anthem. It's funny how Trump and Fox keep forgetting to mention that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Because of the whole 'take a knee' issue, being seen by many to disrespect the flag. A flag the mil fights under.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Because of the whole 'take a knee' issue, being seen by many to disrespect the flag. A flag the mil fights under.
    The military is made up of a lot of different people who have different opinions. I know some that have tuned out of the NFL, and some that have not.

I don't think there is any shortage of volunteers for these type of events, though I don't doubt there are some that won't.

Did you know that the military pays the NFL to hold those 'honor ceremonies'? It's part of the recruiting budget. AT least until recently.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-29-2018 at 06:26 PM.
    The Voice of Reason