Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The left's tactic of silencing opposition

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

The left's tactic of silencing opposition

Why is it these days, the left spends so much bloody time SILENCING Critics even when those critics speak the TRUTH?? just like today's whole issue with Mr Hogg calling for, and getting 4 of 12 advertisers to boycott Ms Laura Ingraham's show, when what SHE tweeted, was the Truth.??

Have companies become SO damn spineless?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I see nothing has changed on the forums....

Let's see, some children survive a mass shooting (so many I've lost count), they peacefully exercise their constitutional right, conservatives attack them for it, and advertisers drop one of the public figures degrading the children. Naturally, you blame "the left" when the truth is that the companies (advertisers) dropped the dolt because they either didn't agree with bashing children who survived a shooting, or they felt it would hurt sales. This is called freedom/capitalism in America. You don't hate capitalism, do you? Were you this upset when rednecks were smashing their Keurigs? Me thinks not...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Isn't this just the free market in action?

If a company doesn't want to associate itself or allocate its resources to advertise on a TV cable news program because the host made offensive comments then that's their right to do. It's all about a company's bottom line ($$$)

So I think the question really is why is those on the right upset when the free market exercises its rights of association?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    So if say steven colbert (a paragon of a leftist mouthpiece) said something that was seen as offensive, you'd be ok with us on the right whining to the companies that advertize with him, to dump him OR else we'd boycott them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ingraham’s Tweet, however factual, was poorly timed. As a public figure, experienced in politics an social media churn ... and the ‘adult in the room’, she should have known making a kid who recently had 17 classmates murdered is a lose / lose situation. While Hogg may not have been a victim or injured, her comment / attack was a bad idea — there is a shelf life / grace period that she should have simply not said anything.

As far as boycotts, it is not just an issue that is done by “the left”. Right wing, conservative, and faith based groups do the same thing arguably more often.

Christians groups have boycotted Starbucks over nudity on their clips.

Christian groups have boycotted Disney over characters depicted as gay.

Conservative groups boycotted advertisers of the Rachel Maddow show in retaliation for liberal boycotts of Sean Hannity’s advertisers.

There is no argument that these have gotten less (positive) attention (bias in reporting?) and you could argue that issues that generate a boycott from the right have not been nearly as successful in years. In part I attribute the lack of success to numbers being too small to matter / impact the bottom line ($) and most conservatives finding the issues trivial and simply not getting involved.

Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So if say steven colbert (a paragon of a leftist mouthpiece) said something that was seen as offensive, you'd be ok with us on the right whining to the companies that advertize with him, to dump him OR else we'd boycott them?
    Yes, I am 100% okay with that. People are free to pick and choose how they express themselves as long as they do not infringe on someone else’s rights. If consumers wish to skupport or not support a company (whether or not their reason is one I agree with), that was s the free market. If people wish to speak with the power of the purse, that is their prerogative.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ingraham’s Tweet, however factual, was poorly timed. As a public figure, experienced in politics an social media churn ... and the ‘adult in the room’, she should have known making a kid who recently had 17 classmates murdered is a lose / lose situation. While Hogg may not have been a victim or injured, her comment / attack was a bad idea — there is a shelf life / grace period that she should have simply not said anything.

As far as boycotts, it is not just an issue that is done by “the left”. Right wing, conservative, and faith based groups do the same thing arguably more often.

Christians groups have boycotted Starbucks over nudity on their clips.

Christian groups have boycotted Disney over characters depicted as gay.

Conservative groups boycotted advertisers of the Rachel Maddow show in retaliation for liberal boycotts of Sean Hannity’s advertisers.

There is no argument that these have gotten less (positive) attention (bias in reporting?) and you could argue that issues that generate a boycott from the right have not been nearly as successful in years. In part I attribute the lack of success to numbers being too small to matter / impact the bottom line ($) and most conservatives finding the issues trivial and simply not getting involved.

Yes, I am 100% okay with that. People are free to pick and choose how they express themselves as long as they do not infringe on someone else’s rights. If consumers wish to skupport or not support a company (whether or not their reason is one I agree with), that was s the free market. If people wish to speak with the power of the purse, that is their prerogative.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    So Hogg can say what ever the hell he wants, to WHOM he wants, but cause of his age/the timing, is immune to any back criticism?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So Hogg can say what ever the hell he wants, to WHOM he wants, but cause of his age/the timing, is immune to any back criticism?
    Not immune at all. I would that not due to age (but yeah, think that adults arguing with kids should ... well ... be adults) but because of the timing though, there is a period of time that criticizing him has no real positive outcome. Someone who criticizes him or any victim, family etc. in an incident like this is just going to receive backlash. I would say the best bit of advice would be to "engage at your own peril". Bottom line is that kid now has a voice, and particular to advertisers the demographic that he represents is the PRIME demographic most of them are targeting. Ignoring that is bad for bui$ine$$.

Particular to Ingraham, I don't really get the point of her tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Ingraham
    David Hogg Rejected By Four Colleges To Which He Applied and whines about it. (Dinged by UCLA with a 4.1 GPA...totally predictable given acceptance rates.)
    In reading Hogg's statement about it ... I didn't take him to be whining at all

Quote Originally Posted by David Hogg
    "I am not surprised at all in all honesty. I think there's a lot of amazing people that don't get to college, not only that do things like I do but because their voices just aren't heard in the tsunami of people that apply every year to colleges in such an economic impacted school system here which we have here in America where people have to go into massive amounts of debt just to go to college and get an education," he said.

"I think it's really sad but it's the truth."

"If colleges want to support us in that, great, if they don't it doesn't matter, we're still going to change the world,"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Not immune at all. I would that not due to age (but yeah, think that adults arguing with kids should ... well ... be adults) but because of the timing though, there is a period of time that criticizing him has no real positive outcome. Someone who criticizes him or any victim, family etc. in an incident like this is just going to receive backlash. I would say the best bit of advice would be to "engage at your own peril". Bottom line is that kid now has a voice, and particular to advertisers the demographic that he represents is the PRIME demographic most of them are targeting. Ignoring that is bad for bui$ine$$.

Particular to Ingraham, I don't really get the point of her tweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Ingraham
    David Hogg Rejected By Four Colleges To Which He Applied and whines about it. (Dinged by UCLA with a 4.1 GPA...totally predictable given acceptance rates.)
    In reading Hogg's statement about it ... I didn't take him to be whining at all

Quote Originally Posted by David Hogg
    "I am not surprised at all in all honesty. I think there's a lot of amazing people that don't get to college, not only that do things like I do but because their voices just aren't heard in the tsunami of people that apply every year to colleges in such an economic impacted school system here which we have here in America where people have to go into massive amounts of debt just to go to college and get an education," he said.

"I think it's really sad but it's the truth."

"If colleges want to support us in that, great, if they don't it doesn't matter, we're still going to change the world,"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I don't have a problem with it. If you don't like what a TV personality or news person or anyone says or does then you have the right not to do business with them. It's your decision whether or not to spend your money on their products/services or in their stores. The same goes for companies that does business with other companies or advertises in a variety of media. The boycott is a peaceable protest, which means it's protected under the First Amendment, and has been used for civil rights as in the Montgomery Bus Boycott in the 50s and the grape boycott in the 60s for farm worker rights.