Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The new and emotionally led gun debate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    With all the push we are getting cause of this, inc the NRA boycotts, i wouldn't be so sure there's not enough of a populus vote to do that..
    State by state ... I don't think there is ... for now.

So why not set the age the same for EVERYTHING? Why have such diverging ages?
    I don't know if there is a legal reason or not. I like letting my kid make some decisions now, and gradually put more responsibility on her; let her grow into it.

Hence why trump and others are saying Let them carry, ONCE THEY get stringently screened and qualify. DOn't just hand them a gun cause they wish it..
    Security force or teachers? I am saying a security force would make sense ... doing that with teachers is a mixed bag and again, it isn't their job.

True, just getting a CCW doesn't mean one can shoot straight, but some states DO require proof of range qualifications to give the CCW out.. Perhaps that's something that can change. AND its one thing the NRA has been on board with for donkey's rears.. GIVING proper training and range time to everyone who wishes to carry..
    Range time is not CQB training. Just going off memory, to get a Marine fire team certified in CQB was a 2 week course, with semi annual recertification; this was following them receiving basic marksmanship training (2 weeks) while in Recruit Training, individual weapons handling / firing (1 week) in Infantry School, and countless weeks of combat, urban shooting simulation. This would make sense for a security force; to put this requirement / expectation / certification on educations takes away from the time they are meant to be educating.

And that was cause an AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle, ergo you can purchase one quickly..
    Which was my original point.

Maybe not everyone, but there ARE plenty saying disarm the population. Stop allowing X type of weapons to even be owned. Heck at that town hall with Rubio, there were PLENTY of hecklers who were saying even 'kill the 2nd amendment, and confiscate all guns!".. When you have people like that talking for one side, there's no real way to HAVE a decent conversation..
    That group talking about banning all guns is quite the minority, but if you want to act as if they are the majority and get spun up, that is your perogative. Engaging them, just as engaging a right wing nut job is pointless, you are not going to have a conversation with either of those types of people.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Security force or teachers? I am saying a security force would make sense ... doing that with teachers is a mixed bag and again, it isn't their job.
    Both. Here in Ohio, last year they pushed an initiative to see if there was enough teacher interest in GETTING CCW qualified, and had a massive outpouring of interest. More so than the # of slots allowed them to train.
    That plus since we know 4 of the 'security force' were either orderd to stay outside, OR were just too chicken to enter', i would RATHER not trust my life to the cops, when time after time we see them dropping the ball..

Range time is not CQB training. Just going off memory, to get a Marine fire team certified in CQB was a 2 week course, with semi annual recertification; this was following them receiving basic marksmanship training (2 weeks) while in Recruit Training, individual weapons handling / firing (1 week) in Infantry School, and countless weeks of combat, urban shooting simulation. This would make sense for a security force; to put this requirement / expectation / certification on educations takes away from the time they are meant to be educating.
    With how much time teachers are NOT teaching though (7 week summer, 3 weeks over xmas time frame and spring breaks) i feel they have more than enough time to do that..

That group talking about banning all guns is quite the minority, but if you want to act as if they are the majority and get spun up, that is your perogative. Engaging them, just as engaging a right wing nut job is pointless, you are not going to have a conversation with either of those types of people.
    They MIGHT be the 'minority', but tehy are also some of the more vocal. AND LOOKING at how many things these days DO seem to get pushed cause the 'minority demanded it', does NOT give me confidence their will won't be done.