Thread: Mil voters disenfranchised??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Mil voters disenfranchised??

Saw this on Friday.. Apparently a group known as Center for American Progress (a liberal progressive think tank), feels cause of all the hackings going on these days, Military people stationed overseas should lose the right to vote electronically (either via fax or email)..

FIRST OFF< i've never even HEARD of someone overseas voting in that manner.. They were always paper ballots.
    Secondly, if this is for hacking prevention, WHY not extend it to all voting done electronically...

And lastly where are all the usual suspects on the left, calling this wrong/bad/evil for disenfranchising the military vote??

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...litary-voting/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Saw this on Friday.. Apparently a group known as Center for American Progress (a liberal progressive think tank), feels cause of all the hackings going on these days, Military people stationed overseas should lose the right to vote electronically (either via fax or email)..

FIRST OFF< i've never even HEARD of someone overseas voting in that manner.. They were always paper ballots.
    Secondly, if this is for hacking prevention, WHY not extend it to all voting done electronically...

And lastly where are all the usual suspects on the left, calling this wrong/bad/evil for disenfranchising the military vote??

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...litary-voting/
    Electronic voting has been a thing for at least two cycles that I know of.

I don't know that this would be outright disenfranchising the military (really US persons overseas ... the majority of which are military); they could still vote via absentee ballot.

I am not a fan of restricting anyone's ability to vote, but unless the electronic submissions were done via a secure network, there really isn't a way to tell who is sending that ballot.

We have seen that at least some bad-actors have shown a willingness to conduct influence operations related to U.S. elections, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that interfering with electronic ballots is a COA.

It is ironic that a progressive group would be making such a recommendation, then again it sort of isn't ... since the military tends to vote more conservatively. The counter point is that it is ironic that conservatives are generally beating a drum about voter fraud, when this proposal could limit voter fraud or fraudulent ballot submission.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I followed the links in the OP but I didn't find anything where The Center for American Progress wants to disenfranchise military or overseas voters. If I missed them saying it then please show me where they said they want to disenfranchise military voters. What they said was:
    Most experts agree that returning voted ballots electronically is not safe. An official from DHS’s Cyber Security Division warned that “online voting, especially online voting in large scale, introduces great risk into the election system by threatening voters’ expectations of confidentiality, accounting and security of their votes and provides an avenue for malicious actors to manipulate the voting results.”44 The National Institute of Standards and Technology has also warned against online voting.45 Furthermore, it is impossible to carry out meaningful post-election audits on voted ballots submitted electronically because there is no reliable paper record that can be referenced during the auditing process.

Of course, it is of utmost importance that military personnel and U.S. citizens stationed and living overseas are provided opportunities to vote and have their voices heard in our democracy. It is equally important, however, that their votes be delivered securely and their privacy protected. Currently, that means returning a hard copy paper ballot via U.S. mail. Requiring UOCAVA voters to return ballots by mail does not appear to have a significant impact on ballot return rates. If we base projections of UOCAVA ballot return rates on information contained in Pew surveys of unreturned UOCAVA ballots in the states in 2012 and 2014,46 we see that see that states requiring UOCAVA voters to return voted ballots via mail actually had a slightly higher return rate those years than states that permit voted ballots to be returned electronically.47

https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/democracy/reports/2018/02/12/446336/election-security-50-states/

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    The whole disenfranchising is MY take on it. Afterall, that's the common statement from the left/dems, when ever someone on the RIGHT (GOP) wants to do something to put any new laws on voting, such as Voter IDs etc.. "That we are disenfranchising XYZ groups" cause of it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    The whole disenfranchising is MY take on it. Afterall, that's the common statement from the left/dems, when ever someone on the RIGHT (GOP) wants to do something to put any new laws on voting, such as Voter IDs etc.. "That we are disenfranchising XYZ groups" cause of it.
    The report wasn't about disenfranchising military voters but about securing their vote of everyone; civilian and military. They pointed out a problem with electronic voting in that it isn't secure. If this was about disenfranchising anyone's vote then the "left/dems" would be complaining about it because they are the one trying to remove the impediments to voting by American citizens.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    If it was just about securing the votes of everyone, why are they so rabidly against voter ID laws, or states that want to clear up their voter rolls?