Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaLawyer View Post
    Probably from all the over-bearing, increasingly sensitive censorship.
    @SeaLawyer

I do know that way back when, a couple of the moderators would delete comments that discussed moderator actions. Beyond that, I can't think of anything that was deleted / changed (censored) that wasn't a clear violation of the Community Guidelines. Beyond that, please tell me what was censored.

Unfortunately, there were some members (i.e. adults) who signed up for an internet forum, agreed to a set of rules, then cried and threw online fits when those rules were enforced. When some of those fits got to be more trouble than they were worth, those members were banned, it was about a half a dozen of them. Unfortunately those antics drove off people who wanted to have conversations. When that population whittled down, it was a small group of about 6 regular posters, SJ was the most prolific poster and had a really high post count. Some people disliked moderation so much they took on a very hostile / rude mentality towards me personally, which led to violations of those same Community Guidelines. SJ took to commenting about sexually assaulting my wife &/or my kid, which was deleted. As he got more frustrated he said that he was going to get banned, then made an over the top post and fulfilled his own prediction. A long, long time ago, before there were Mods, someone made a comment about Tak's kid and his issues. There were all kinds of folks asking the admin to ban that user ... so what is different here? Is it that I am a mod, that I am an officer? Talking about sexually assaulting a 6 year old kid is sick. Simply. Fucking. Sick. Defending it is sick too.

If I really wanted to be a hard ass about it ... the communication of a threat of violence or sexual assault over the internet is a violation of federal law, specifically USC Title 18 Section 875. While, statements of "I am going to kick your ass" are common, genrally lack true intent or ability to do so etc. and it normally is hard to report someone since the internet can be very anonymous. Since SJ registered with his af.mil address I have his full name and using the mod control panel I have his home IP address and his work IP address ... I know what USAF base he works at, and tracking him to the specific terminal and comparing post times, to terminal activity times isn't hard. If I had reported to his employer (the US Air Force) that one of their employees was using their official work accounts to communicate threats of sexual violence against my wife and (at the time) 6 -year old daughter and let them take from there I doubt it would generate an arrest, but in the climate we find ourselves in now, his job could be jeopardized ... for being immature & stupid. Instead ... I just banned him, which may have brought down on activity on the forum, but his progression from contributing member of the forum, to "arch-nemesis" (term he used about how he was anti-moderator), to making statements like that was leading to a point of me informing the Air Force about it, since it was being done in part using their network and their computers, not because I want to censor him ... but because it is my daughter we are talking about. This decline in civility wasn't just SJ, but in a few members of the forums once moderators were established. SJ was the second to take to making personal individual threats against a moderator or their family, the other one was actually reported to the Army and has not posted since; don't know what happened ... but I would guess they took it seriously enough to at least talk to him.
    If you are okay with that type of behavior, please just delete your account and find another place to post on occasion.

It wasn't the way I wanted it to go. I moderate 3 other forums as well (2 are military and one is related to fiction books) and the moderation here was by far the most relaxed. Without question the heavy moderation when the larger group of moderators was here played a part and shaped attitudes, but additionally the immature behavior by some users can't be discounted.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Probably from all the over-bearing, increasingly sensitive censorship.
    @SeaLawyer

I do know that way back when, a couple of the moderators would delete comments that discussed moderator actions. Beyond that, I can't think of anything that was deleted / changed (censored) that wasn't a clear violation of the Community Guidelines. Beyond that, please tell me what was censored.

Unfortunately, there were some members (i.e. adults) who signed up for an internet forum, agreed to a set of rules, then cried and threw online fits when those rules were enforced. When some of those fits got to be more trouble than they were worth, those members were banned, it was about a half a dozen of them. Unfortunately those antics drove off people who wanted to have conversations. When that population whittled down, it was a small group of about 6 regular posters, SJ was the most prolific poster and had a really high post count. Some people disliked moderation so much they took on a very hostile / rude mentality towards me personally, which led to violations of those same Community Guidelines. SJ took to commenting about sexually assaulting my wife &/or my kid, which was deleted. As he got more frustrated he said that he was going to get banned, then made an over the top post and fulfilled his own prediction. A long, long time ago, before there were Mods, someone made a comment about Tak's kid and his issues. There were all kinds of folks asking the admin to ban that user ... so what is different here? Is it that I am a mod, that I am an officer? Talking about sexually assaulting a 6 year old kid is sick. Simply. Fucking. Sick. Defending it is sick too.

If I really wanted to be a hard ass about it ... the communication of a threat of violence or sexual assault over the internet is a violation of federal law, specifically USC Title 18 Section 875. While, statements of "I am going to kick your ass" are common, generally lack true intent or ability to do so etc. and it normally is hard to report someone since the internet can be very anonymous. Since SJ registered with his af.mil address I have his full name and using the mod control panel I have his home IP address and his work IP address ... I know what USAF base he works at, and tracking him to the specific terminal and comparing post times, to terminal activity times isn't hard. If I had reported to his employer (the US Air Force) that one of their employees was using their official work accounts to communicate threats of sexual violence against my wife and (at the time) 6 -year old daughter and let them take from there I doubt it would generate an arrest, but in the climate we find ourselves in now, his job could be jeopardized ... for being immature & stupid. Instead ... I just banned him, which may have brought down on activity on the forum, but his progression from contributing member of the forum, to "arch-nemesis" (term he used about how he was anti-moderator), to making statements like that was leading to a point of me informing the Air Force about it, since it was being done in part using their network and their computers, not because I want to censor him ... but because it is my daughter we are talking about. This decline in civility wasn't just SJ, but in a few members of the forums once moderators were established. SJ was the second to take to making personal individual threats against a moderator or their family, the other one was actually reported to the Army and has not posted since; don't know what happened ... but I would guess they took it seriously enough to at least talk to him.
    If you are okay with that type of behavior, please just delete your account and find another place to post on occasion.

It wasn't the way I wanted it to go. I moderate 3 other forums as well (2 are military and one is related to fiction books) and the moderation here was by far the most relaxed. Without question the heavy moderation when the larger group of moderators was here played a part and shaped attitudes, but additionally the immature behavior by some users can't be discounted.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    On top of that, Rainmaker is still here.
    Get off my lawn.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Interesting!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Get off my lawn.
    HA!!!Good One Rainmaker!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This forum is dead due to the fact that it has devolved into nothing more than a couple racist Fox News drones who belittle children who protest being shot at while at school and tend to blame all of their problems on "libruls."

Facts, logic, and civil debate on this forum left years ago with Jo Bohnam.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Way to go Mjölnir!

You chased everyone away! COMMUNIST!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Way to go Mjölnir!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Way to go Mjölnir!

Nah ... I am a registered Independant, with Republican leanings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Way to go Mjölnir!

Nah ... I am a registered Independant, with Republican leanings.