Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Unpatrioticness of sports Stars

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    The "progressive" cancer is spreading....



    http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017...-nfl-protests/
    IMO that sub-human should be publicly named, shamed and NEVER ALLOWED to visit the tomb of the unknown soldier ever again..

  2. #12
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm not a big boycott kind of guy. I don't really believe in them...to a point, of course. But, I wish everyone would quit with all the "I'm never buying from so and so again cuz I disagree with their politics..." What does it really prove? If you boycott someone's business to prove a political point...all that does is purchase compliance, and the wealthier side wins.

    But, in general, if you make the best chicken sandwich for the money, you're gonna get my chicken sandwich business.

    One of the things I love about sports is that it is the ultimate meritocracy. It does not matter where you're from, what you look like, who you vote for or how popular you are. The stronger, faster, more skilled person wins.

    This is more true in sports like track and field...and less so in maybe team sports or anything sponsored like NASCAR where marketing is part of the game.

    Anyway, now it looks like a lot of musical stars are refusing the halftime show because they disagree with how the NFL has treated Kaepernick.

    Kap should probably be on a team, talent-wise. I get why he hasn't been signed, because of all the grief the team will get that signs him...but, it seems to me the American way is let the guy compete if he is capable enough.

    Yes, it is your right to 'spend your money how you want to'...I just think it's a bit of a social engineering agenda. 'We will economically disadvantage you for your politically incorrect opinions. And it goes both ways.
    The Voice of Reason

  3. #13
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Kap should probably be on a team, talent-wise. I get why he hasn't been signed, because of all the grief the team will get that signs him...but, it seems to me the American way is let the guy compete if he is capable enough.
    If a team stood to win with him on the roster, he would have gotten signe4d by someone. What a team would stand to lose / have to deal with from people protesting his protesting would be outweighed by wins, playoff bids, conference and league titles. From what I have read, he is talented, but had declining performance before the protest issue came up (23d then 32d in completion percentage), a sholulder injury which he rehabed slowly and all the while San Francisco supported his protesting but had already benched him and was looking to maybe offload him and recover some of his salary. Absent the protesting, he may have found himself on a practice squad, I think declining performance was a big factor.

    He likely won't play in the NFL again, but I think the real reason has little to do with him taking a knee on the field.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    If a team stood to win with him on the roster, he would have gotten signe4d by someone. What a team would stand to lose / have to deal with from people protesting his protesting would be outweighed by wins, playoff bids, conference and league titles. From what I have read, he is talented, but had declining performance before the protest issue came up (23d then 32d in completion percentage), a sholulder injury which he rehabed slowly and all the while San Francisco supported his protesting but had already benched him and was looking to maybe offload him and recover some of his salary. Absent the protesting, he may have found himself on a practice squad, I think declining performance was a big factor.

    He likely won't play in the NFL again, but I think the real reason has little to do with him taking a knee on the field.
    When you look at some of the QBs signed this year the "drop in performance" explanation just doesn't wash anymore. This is obvious to the most casual observer of the NFL.

    Guys with no performance to drop from are being signed.

    My Redskins started Josh Johnson...a QB with a career 0-5 record, 5 TDs to 10 interceptions and hasn't thrown a pass in a game since 2012. The Skins were still in the playoff hunt at the time. Their injured starting QB was Alex Smith...the same guy the young rookie Kap took over for on the 49ers.

    Tom Savage got signed...look up his stellar stats. His stint lasted about a week last time.

    Blaine Gabbert started. Mark Sanchez...you don't think Kap rates at least a tryout with these guys playing??

    Kap may not be Aaron Rodgers...but, he has been to two consec conference championships and a Super Bowl. Even if he's not one of the better starters in the league...when you look at the guys some teams have had to resort, too, the "Absent protests he might be on a practice squad..." is clearly BS. These teams are signing guys that aren't even on practice squads.
    The Voice of Reason

  5. #15
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    When you look at some of the QBs signed this year the "drop in performance" explanation just doesn't wash anymore. This is obvious to the most casual observer of the NFL.

    Guys with no performance to drop from are being signed.

    My Redskins started Josh Johnson...a QB with a career 0-5 record, 5 TDs to 10 interceptions and hasn't thrown a pass in a game since 2012. The Skins were still in the playoff hunt at the time. Their injured starting QB was Alex Smith...the same guy the young rookie Kap took over for on the 49ers.

    Tom Savage got signed...look up his stellar stats. His stint lasted about a week last time.

    Blaine Gabbert started. Mark Sanchez...you don't think Kap rates at least a tryout with these guys playing??

    Kap may not be Aaron Rodgers...but, he has been to two consec conference championships and a Super Bowl. Even if he's not one of the better starters in the league...when you look at the guys some teams have had to resort, too, the "Absent protests he might be on a practice squad..." is clearly BS. These teams are signing guys that aren't even on practice squads.
    I think as time has gone on CK not having played in two years hurts him too. Either way But, there are players protesting who remain signed. I think the initial 'stink' around CK was largely a dust up of the protesting, now ... there are others who can play as well, with no baggage. Again, if CK was a superstar ... most teams would be willing to take the heat for signing him.

    As far as does he rate a tryout? No. He doesn't rate anything, that is up to the team(s) to decide.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I think as time has gone on CK not having played in two years hurts him too. Either way But, there are players protesting who remain signed. I think the initial 'stink' around CK was largely a dust up of the protesting, now ... there are others who can play as well, with no baggage. Again, if CK was a superstar ... most teams would be willing to take the heat for signing him.

    As far as does he rate a tryout? No. He doesn't rate anything, that is up to the team(s) to decide.
    I would say that it is a combination of talent vs. grief to be endured.

    If he was a superstar talent then the someone would probably give him a shot. If not for the protesting, he would be on a team, I'm sure. So, there is a trade off curve...he's not good enough to overcome the amount of shit that he would bring.

    Yes, other players are kneeling, but he's the face of it...

    The NFL has mismanaged this whole debacle from the get-go...I'm surprised that Goodell has survived it, tbh.
    The Voice of Reason

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,327
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Kap should probably be on a team, talent-wise. I get why he hasn't been signed, because of all the grief the team will get that signs him...but, it seems to me the American way is let the guy compete if he is capable enough.
    From what i've heard about kap, before he started all this kneeling balloney, he was BENCHED because he was losing. So i am not sure why that would qualify him to be 'signed just because he is talented'..

  8. #18
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    From what i've heard about kap, before he started all this kneeling balloney, he was BENCHED because he was losing. So i am not sure why that would qualify him to be 'signed just because he is talented'..
    Yes, QBs get benched all the time.

    Nathan Peterman played this year. In his career, he's completed just over half his passes. Has 3 TDs vs 12 interceptions. Career passer rating of 32.5.

    There's just no comparison here. it qualifies Kap because even if he got benched after being in 2 conf. championships and a Super Bowl, he'd had some success. The guys he's being passed over for have NEVER had success in the NFL. Are worse on their best days than Kap was on his worst days...and don't even get benched because they are usually only last resort emergency QBs when the next guy on the roster is a backup TE that played QB in high school.

    I'm not sure why it's so important to you guys to deny that Kap is not being signed because of his protest...isn't that exactly what you want the NFL to do? Wouldn't you be much happier to just say, "See, Kap, that's what you get for being un-American."
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 01-03-2019 at 09:07 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

  9. #19
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,562
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Why is it these days, the left spends so much bloody time SILENCING Critics even when those critics speak the TRUTH?? just like today's whole issue with Mr Hogg calling for, and getting 4 of 12 advertisers to boycott Ms Laura Ingraham's show, when what SHE tweeted, was the Truth.??

    Have companies become SO damn spineless?
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So if say steven colbert (a paragon of a leftist mouthpiece) said something that was seen as offensive, you'd be ok with us on the right whining to the companies that advertize with him, to dump him OR else we'd boycott them?
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I already have. I will never turn the NFL on in my house, i have stopped doing business with a # of their sponsors, and have wrote many nasty grams to USAA to get THEM To stop doing business with the NFL..
    Additionally next month when my verison contract is up, i will TAKE MY phone elsewhere..
    Hypocritical much? Lol.
    The Voice of Reason

  10. #20
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I'm not sure why it's so important to you guys to deny that Kap is not being signed because of his protest...isn't that exactly what you want the NFL to do? Wouldn't you be much happier to just say, "See, Kap, that's what you get for being un-American."
    It isn't that; I just don't think the protesting is the prime reason ... definitely a factor ... but not the prime reason.

    I fully support his right to protest, at the same time NFL teams have a certain amount of 'brand' to protect and I don't think they should be forced to sign anyone that the team feels would do more harm than good. I think they would be more than willing to deal with the issues if his performance had not been on the decline before he started protesting. If the guy was a superstar, he could run over a bag of kittens and a team would likely sign him and deal with the fallout.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •