Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: VA MAth

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

VA MAth

Well, since I feel I'm on a roll with questioning today's military decisions, I decided to spew my thoughts about the VA disability process and their questionable reparation math model.

I hope this will prepare some of our active duty service members for their military departure should they plan to apply for VA disability compensation.

This is the only organization I know where, i.e., 70%, 20%, and 10% do not add up to 100. Instead, their approach is taking the most severe disability--in this example the 70%--and then subtracting the remaining two disabilities from 30%... the remaining "ability" you still have (100%-70% disability = 30% ability remaining). The then take your next most severe disability and multiple and subtract that amount from your remaining ability determination. So, in this scenario, it would be 20% disability of 30% remaining ability (.20 times 30) and we get 6% which is the added to the 70% disability for a total of 76%. Now, we have 24% of our body able to function--or so the VA says. 10% of 24% (.10 times 24) is 2.4 so we are now 78.4% disabled but the VA will graciously and usually round this number up instead of down making you 78 or 79% disable.

Confusing? Yes and no. The reason: Of course, to save money! Using this math model, it is virtually impossible to receive a 100% rating therefore limiting VA payout.

While this may have an upside in terms of countering those that try to scam the system, it likewise suggests to the legitimate veteran that the more disabilities you have, the less debilitating they are.

In short, veterans (and soon-to-be veterans) be prepared for the VA. While it has drastically improved, there remains a lot of red tape that still needs to be removed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    For me, i've always wondered WHY STUFF you had before you even enlisted gets counted.. Like someone who had 3 bulged/popped disks, was given a medical waiver, and those 3 disks now got worse from his or her military condition, NOW gets to count those disks as 'disabilities' when he comes to retirement/getting out..
    Or sleep apnea..?

IMO If you came in with it, especially if you had to get a medical waiver, IT SHOULDN'T ever be considered when you get out, as being "military related"....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    For me, i've always wondered WHY STUFF you had before you even enlisted gets counted.. Like someone who had 3 bulged/popped disks, was given a medical waiver, and those 3 disks now got worse from his or her military condition, NOW gets to count those disks as 'disabilities' when he comes to retirement/getting out..
    Or sleep apnea..?

IMO If you came in with it, especially if you had to get a medical waiver, IT SHOULDN'T ever be considered when you get out, as being "military related"....
    I have had issue for some time about how our disability system works.

Some people are truly disabled as a consequence of their military service, regardless of them doing 4 or 40 years, being in combat or not, being in a 'hard' job or not. They should be compensated appropriately.

Most people that we pay disability benefits to, are being compensated for things that naturally happen when you go from being an 18/19 year old to a 40 year old. That is a huge ... HUGE drain on the VA system in terms of money, time, assets etc. It is a major contributor to the back log on claim approval, appointments etc. and had exponentially increased the overall cost to the taxpayers in VA healthcare.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I have had issue for some time about how our disability system works.

Some people are truly disabled as a consequence of their military service, regardless of them doing 4 or 40 years, being in combat or not, being in a 'hard' job or not. They should be compensated appropriately.

Most people that we pay disability benefits to, are being compensated for things that naturally happen when you go from being an 18/19 year old to a 40 year old. That is a huge ... HUGE drain on the VA system in terms of money, time, assets etc. It is a major contributor to the back log on claim approval, appointments etc. and had exponentially increased the overall cost to the taxpayers in VA healthcare.
    Yea.. I wonder how many are getting disability claiming back pain, who still play with their kids, go out and play ball etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sadly, some of these clowns have learned how to game the system making it increasingly difficult for those with legitimate issues to claim their disabilities. It seems I meet more people that only did a few years with a higher disability rating than those that did 20-plus years.
    Hell, all I wanted when I retired was just to have documentation of me working bare-handed with asbestos and exposure to environmental hazards (halon due to a helicopter mishap) and the denied it off the bat.
    I relocated for a civilian Navy job, became good friends and became good friends with our Congressman. While out golfing one day, I mentioned the issue. He had his secretary send a letter to the VA and BOOM… everything I wanted, and then some.
    In short, it’s part of their system (or, at least was) to deny everything as a deterrence; however, if you contact your local Congressman—which seems to be part of their claim process—they’ll get you everything you deserve!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sadly, some of these clowns have learned how to game the system making it increasingly difficult for those with legitimate issues to claim their disabilities. It seems I meet more people that only did a few years with a higher disability rating than those that did 20-plus years.

Hell, all I wanted when I retired was just to have documentation of me working bare-handed with asbestos and exposure to environmental hazards (halon due to a helicopter mishap) and the denied it off the bat.

I relocated for a civilian Navy job, became good friends and became good friends with our Congressman. While out golfing one day, I mentioned the issue. He had his secretary send a letter to the VA and BOOM… everything I wanted, and then some.

In short, it’s part of their system (or, at least was) to deny everything as a deterrence; however, if you contact your local Congressman—which seems to be part of their claim process—they’ll get you everything you deserve!