Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Senator Webb declines USNA Distinguished Graduate award

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

Senator Webb declines USNA Distinguished Graduate award

Former Senator Jim Webb Declines to Accept Naval Academy Alumni Association’s Distinguished Graduate Award

Over the past few days the decision by the Naval Academy Alumni Association to include me as a recipient of this year’s Distinguished Graduate Award has been protested by a small but vociferous group of women graduates based on a magazine article that I wrote 38 years ago.
    from conversations with the Alumni Association, including information passed down from top Navy leadership in the Pentagon, it is clear that those protesting my receipt of this award now threaten to disrupt the ceremonies surrounding its issuance. I am being told that my presence at the ceremony would likely mar the otherwise celebratory nature of that special day, and as a consequence I find it necessary to decline to accept the award.
    http://www.jameswebb.com/news/webb-d...graduate-award

WTF. So a bunch of SJW feminist activists are now dictating who can and can't receive awards at the USNA under threat of disrupting the ceremonies? I guess now the Progressive Cancer that's run amok on College Campuses nationwide, has even infested the last bastion of honor at the Service Academies.

and Instead of passing information down, shouldn't the Navy "Leadership at the Pentagon" be coming out on the record and squashing this shameful BS?
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 04-01-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Former Senator Jim Webb Declines to Accept Naval Academy Alumni Association’s Distinguished Graduate Award

http://www.jameswebb.com/news/webb-d...graduate-award

WTF. So a bunch of SJW feminist activists are now dictating who can and can't receive awards at the USNA under threat of disrupting the ceremonies? I guess now the Progressive Cancer that's run amok on College Campuses nationwide, has even infested the last bastion of honor at the Service Academies.

and Instead of passing information down, shouldn't the Navy "Leadership at the Pentagon" be coming out on the record and squashing this shameful BS?
    I don't have any connection to USNA (am not an alumni, faculty etc.).

I heard some talk of this earlier this week. The award is made by the Alumni Assiciation not the Academy or DOD. Some alumni opposed him being named a recipient, he eventually declined the award.

It's a shame, Webb is a good man.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

3. Likes Rainmaker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Canoe U: Twilight of the Naval Academy

http://weaponsman.com/?p=40169

a Marine platoon leader upon whom a grateful nation bestowed the Navy Cross, a decoration that used to be respected at the Academy. (Webb also has “lesser” decorations, including the Silver Star and two Purple Hearts). Unlike today’s Academy persons, Webb sought out combat, sought out the fight, and fought to win. It is the sort of person the Academy no longer respects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Webb served in Vietnam as an infantry officer; he was awarded the Navy Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star w/ V twice and the Purple Heart twice. He was eventually medically retired from the Marine Corps due to his combat injuries. He later went to law school, became a congressional staffer, taught at the USNA, became the
    Assistant Secretary of Defense for Reserve Affairs then as the Secretary of the Navy, and most recently a U.S. Senator -- quite the list of service.

The Distinguished Graduate award is made by the alumni association, not officially made by the USNA.

Webb wrote an essay 38 years ago on women being enrolled at the academies, he was against it. That opinion is not popular today, he has apologized for the coarseness of his language but not changed his opinion. It is truly unfortunate that a small group of the alumni were planning on making the award a shit show and he bowed out; likely out of respect for the institution.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Certainly sounds like the SJW's basically bullied the alum into stopping this award over fears of being disrupted..