Thread: Commissary changes

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Commissary changes

This was an interesting read. I was aware DeCA was undergoing some changes but hadn't heard a specific plan. This plan, to me, sound like it's going to head towards a more "commercial" kind of grocery store. If this is the case, I'm not sure what the advantage is going to be. Over the past several years it seems to be losing it's luster anyway. With these planned changes I can't see any purpose of shopping at the commissary unless you're one of those people who's afraid to go outside the gate.

I still don't understand why they don't just scrap them completely CONUS (except for bases outside a certain radius from a grocery store) and just keep them overseas, at most.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...y-changes-near

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    This was an interesting read. I was aware DeCA was undergoing some changes but hadn't heard a specific plan. This plan, to me, sound like it's going to head towards a more "commercial" kind of grocery store. If this is the case, I'm not sure what the advantage is going to be. Over the past several years it seems to be losing it's luster anyway. With these planned changes I can't see any purpose of shopping at the commissary unless you're one of those people who's afraid to go outside the gate.

I still don't understand why they don't just scrap them completely CONUS (except for bases outside a certain radius from a grocery store) and just keep them overseas, at most.

http://www.militarytimes.com/article...y-changes-near
    This is going to be the end of the commissary if they do that. Maybe it's just me, but I know that when I was active duty, I avoided the base like the plague when I wasn't at work. The commissary was the only thing that brought me there. But if their prices end up being the same as Walmart Neighborhood Market then, well...
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    This is going to be the end of the commissary if they do that. Maybe it's just me, but I know that when I was active duty, I avoided the base like the plague when I wasn't at work. The commissary was the only thing that brought me there. But if their prices end up being the same as Walmart Neighborhood Market then, well...
    Yep, and it's probably going to hurt the BX, too. I know I have no need to ever go to the BX but if I'm coming on base to use the commissary I'll swing by the BX just to check it out and every once in awhile buy something. Now I'll never have a reason to go in.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    There's a few things the Commisarry is cheeper than the local stores on, but rarely is it enough for me to make more than 2 trips a year to it (HR each way)..

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    There's a few things the Commisarry is cheeper than the local stores on, but rarely is it enough for me to make more than 2 trips a year to it (HR each way)..
    We live as close to the base as we do to a large grocery store so it's just as convenient. The only things we find that are cheaper (that we buy) anymore are boxes of cereal. Produce is cheaper, but the vegetables are crap quality compared to off base and the meat is also cheaper but they aren't as good quality. It serves it's purpose, which now seems to be for lower ranking families to be able to afford groceries but if they go to "variable" pricing (which is about as settling as applying for a credit card with "variable" APR) then the advantage is gone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have been saying the same thing as @sandsjames for some time:

-The commissary is not self sustaining.
    -Should be phased out CONUS with the exception of isolated locations.
    -It served its purpose when bases were separate communities from the world outside the gate, but most families don't live on base anymore.
    -What savings for military personnel that are there, are generally not worth the hassle of the trip.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, and it's probably going to hurt the BX, too. I know I have no need to ever go to the BX but if I'm coming on base to use the commissary I'll swing by the BX just to check it out and every once in awhile buy something. Now I'll never have a reason to go in.
    I have special tripped into the PX/NEX for electronics ... some have electronics sections that are total crap, the one at Bethesda is really good.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I have special tripped into the PX/NEX for electronics ... some have electronics sections that are total crap, the one at Bethesda is really good.
    The BX at Sheppard sucks. It's completely targeted towards the students, which makes sense because of what the base does, but the movies (blu rays) they carry are more expensive than Amazon or any store off base because they only off the 3D/Blu Ray/DVD combos, so you're looking at $30. Most of the electronics are hand held (targeted towards the students) and the clothing is something that nobody over the age of 25 should ever wear.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    We live as close to the base as we do to a large grocery store so it's just as convenient. The only things we find that are cheaper (that we buy) anymore are boxes of cereal. Produce is cheaper, but the vegetables are crap quality compared to off base and the meat is also cheaper but they aren't as good quality. It serves it's purpose, which now seems to be for lower ranking families to be able to afford groceries but if they go to "variable" pricing (which is about as settling as applying for a credit card with "variable" APR) then the advantage is gone.
    I agree the produce usually isn't as good (though i never have had a rotted potatoe from there, but i have had some from local stores), however i HAVE had better chunks of meat (espceially beef) from there than out in town..

and the clothing is something that nobody over the age of 25 should ever wear.
    That's pretty much the same at MOST clothing stores i have been too.. With a 63 yr old mother living with me, its hard as hell to find a clothing store that even SELLS clothes she will wear, as most of what we see (Kmart, walmart, meijer, etc) are geared to the 20-30 somethings or younger..