Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyday Carry (EDC)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Everyday Carry (EDC)

I actually didn't know that this was really a "thing" until last night. Apparently, there are actually online EDC communities.

On my keychain, I personally carry a black Victorinox Explorer SAK, a small Field & Stream flashlight, a flashdrive, a whistle with a compass built in, and a black Doohickey. I also normally wear a black Timex Expedition watch.

I carry a black backpack around, but with none of the items that are mentioned in the EDC community (i.e., spare AA & AAA batteries, duct tape, super glue, a full size pistol, etc)

Is anyone here into EDC? What do you carry?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The only context in which I have heard this is for everyday carry gun. I have known some folks that were concerned that the end of the world event would happen when they are away from home and presumably the items in the EDC bag would be things they would need to safely return home.

I do carry a gun everywhere I go (within the local laws), but I limit my other items to things most people have in their cars: first aid kit, blankets, tools, flares, jumper cables, etc. I also have 6 MREs in there as well as a gallon of bottled water.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    The only context in which I have heard this is for everyday carry gun. I have known some folks that were concerned that the end of the world event would happen when they are away from home and presumably the items in the EDC bag would be things they would need to safely return home.
    According to what I've been reading, what you described is a "bug out bag."

The backpack that I carry around with me... really doesn't have much in it. I mostly carry it out of habit than anything else.

Even then, I still find myself asking total strangers things like, "Sir, by any chance, would you happen to have a _________?"

That's why I think building up an EDC bag might not be a bad idea.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I usually have a pocketknife on my belt when in camomiles, my PT watch has a compass on the band.

Have heard of the EDC think since I have been to a couple of survival schools (civ & mil); I often relate it to the 'Be Prepared' Boy Scout motto. The best tool you can have for this is an education on survival; not relying on a variety of tools or tech. With some skills you can survive nearly indefinitely with just a knife.

When I camp, I always have a first aid kit, whistle, 2 compasses, 100 or so feet of parachute cord, and a bag & bivy sack to sleep in ... Unless I am with family or Scouts / Venture Crew I don't bring a tent. On the bag I carry in and out of work I have about 100 feet of cord coiled on the back -- old habit.

The best course I ever attended was 28 days in the Utah mountains; you were allowed only a knife for the first 5 days, after that you could carry awater bottle, metal cup, 50 feet of rope or parachute cord, a wool blanket, a journal and a camera. Learning to make shelter was the first big lesson. Fire was the most important cause of the warmth, ability to cook and the psychological factor of having it.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    The best tool you can have for this is an education on survival; not relying on a variety of tools or tech. With some skills you can survive nearly indefinitely with just a knife.
    I think Batman would disagree...a utility belt is the only way to go.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I usually have a pocketknife on my belt when in camomiles, my PT watch has a compass on the band.

Have heard of the EDC think since I have been to a couple of survival schools (civ & mil); I often relate it to the 'Be Prepared' Boy Scout motto. The best tool you can have for this is an education on survival; not relying on a variety of tools or tech. With some skills you can survive nearly indefinitely with just a knife.

When I camp, I always have a first aid kit, whistle, 2 compasses, 100 or so feet of parachute cord, and a bag & bivy sack to sleep in ... Unless I am with family or Scouts / Venture Crew I don't bring a tent. On the bag I carry in and out of work I have about 100 feet of cord coiled on the back -- old habit.

The best course I ever attended was 28 days in the Utah mountains; you were allowed only a knife for the first 5 days, after that you could carry awater bottle, metal cup, 50 feet of rope or parachute cord, a wool blanket, a journal and a camera. Learning to make shelter was the first big lesson. Fire was the most important cause of the warmth, ability to cook and the psychological factor of having it.
    What you're describing is appropriate if you're lost outside of civilization, but I'm thinking more of what's appropriate for everyday in any city or town.

For example, if I was downtown (i.e., surrounded by office buildings and car traffic) and I needed a lighter for something, carrying one or asking a stranger if they have one would be far more appropriate than finding sticks and stones to make a fire with - when you're downtown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    What you're describing is appropriate if you're lost outside of civilization, but I'm thinking more of what's appropriate for everyday in any city or town.

For example, if I was downtown (i.e., surrounded by office buildings and car traffic) and I needed a lighter for something, carrying one or asking a stranger if they have one would be far more appropriate than finding sticks and stones to make a fire with - when you're downtown.
    Yeah, you are right ... I was going a wrong way with EDC

But, if you were downtown and busted out some sticks and stones you may become a viral video ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    According to what I've been reading, what you described is a "bug out bag."
    To me, the term "bug out" implies that you are somewhere and need to leave in a big damn hurry. That's different than everyday carry, but to each their own. Semantics.

It's not a bad idea at all to build one up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    And if you can be Batman ... ALWAYS be Batman.

Just don't confuse a utility belt with a fanny pack.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    And if you can be Batman ... ALWAYS be Batman.

Just don't confuse a utility belt with a fanny pack.