Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everyday Carry (EDC)

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Rainmaker has to dress up for work, so he usually just carries a pocket knife, a .38 snub nose S&W, a power bar, an executive ice scraper, 2 X emergency water pouches, a zippo and a telescopic unbreakable umbrella....

Also keep a Rucksack in the Truck with a takedown 10/22 and enough stuff if for some crazy reason we had to abandon the vehicle & hump it on foot back home.

Now, If we make to there, Rainmaker'll channel his inner Patrick Swayze, & head into the swamps, to join up with the rest of the 'wolvereens' (standing by for Rainmaker to give the Execute Order launching 'OPERATION RED DAWN') to liberate surviving family members from Walmart Supercenter #2459 (resupply) and then force-march 80 miles east, where we'll seize FEMA Camp Florida- Avon Park, from Putin's Spetsnaz.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-17-2017 at 04:17 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    To me, the term "bug out" implies that you are somewhere and need to leave in a big damn hurry. That's different than everyday carry, but to each their own. Semantics.

It's not a bad idea at all to build one up.
    You can actually purchase full bug out bags, with everything already in them. They're specifically designed for you to survive a disaster for 72 hours.

So when I say "EDC," I'm not so much focused on "survival" as I am with having things on hand to solve everyday problems.

An everyday problem, for example, that you're vacationing out of town, and your wife brings a bottle of wine back to the room without stopping to think that you don't have a corkscrew. But if you have a SAK with a corkscrew on it, you've just solved that problem. Mind you, this is not a "survival" problem, but simply a problem with most of us eventually run into.

I think that, since I carry a backpack anyway, one thing I'm doing is thinking about all of the items that I've had to stop strangers for in order to ask them if they had one. The most common, a watch, is definitely a must - even in the age of cell phones, because cell phone batteries drain pretty quickly.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Rainmaker has to dress up for work, so he usually just carries a pocket knife, a .38 snub nose S&W, a power bar,
    When you say "power bar," what do you mean? A surge protector, or the protein bar?

This does give me an idea for a possible EDC item: an extendable steel baton. Perfect for fighting off dogs, or even other people when you don't want or need to use a gun.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    An everyday problem, for example, that you're vacationing out of town, and your wife brings a bottle of wine back to the room without stopping to think that you don't have a corkscrew. But if you have a SAK with a corkscrew on it, you've just solved that problem. Mind you, this is not a "survival" problem, but simply a problem with most of us eventually run into.
    You just described my brother's wife's most serious survival issue.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    -A good book -- kill some time if needed.
    -map of the city/public transportation schedule.
    -aspirin etc.
    -water bottle
    -water flavoring ... I almost always have a handful of these in with my water bottle cause tap water sometimes is funky.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    -A good book -- kill some time if needed.
    -map of the city/public transportation schedule.
    -aspirin etc.
    -water bottle
    -water flavoring ... I almost always have a handful of these in with my water bottle cause tap water sometimes is funky.
    I'm actually pretty well-versed with all of Norfolk's HRT transit routes - including the light rail and the ferry - but, nevertheless, that's a good one. But I also highly recommend that everyone familiarize themselves with their city's transit routes and schedule. I also carry water flavoring. Plenty of 8 and 10 packs at the Dollar Tree that you can easily stock up on. I wanna say that every payday, I probably purchase at least five.