Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flynn Resigns as National Security Advisor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Flynn Resigns as National Security Advisor

Yesterday it started to look inevitable that Flynn was out:

President Trump’s embattled national security adviser Michael Flynn resigned Monday night, Fox News reported.

Flynn, in his resignation letter, wrote that he "inadvertently" briefed top officials with incomplete information regarding his call with the Russian ambassador.

"I have sincerely apologized to the president and the vice president, and they have accepted my apology," the letter read.

Trump has named Lt. Gen Joseph Keith Kellogg, Jr., as his acting national security adviser.

The White House earlier said Trump was "evaluating the situation" regarding Flynn's conversations with Russia's ambassador to the U.S., deepening the uncertainty surrounding Flynn's future in the new administration.

Flynn apologized privately for the controversy to Vice President Mike Pence, according to a White House official. Pence, relying on information from Flynn, publicly vouched that the retired Army lieutenant general did not discuss U.S. sanctions against Russia in calls late last year. Flynn has since told the White House that sanctions may have come up.

White House spokesman Sean Spicer said Trump was consulting with Pence about his conversations with the national security adviser. Asked whether the president had been aware that Flynn might discuss sanctions with the Russian envoy, Spicer said, "No, absolutely not."

Trump, who comments on a steady stream of issues on his Twitter feed, has been conspicuously silent about the matter since The Washington Post reported last week that Flynn had discussed sanctions with the Russian envoy. A U.S. official told The Associated Press that Flynn was in frequent contact with Ambassador Sergey Kislyak on the day the Obama administration slapped sanctions on Russia for election-related hacking, as well as at other times during the transition.

Earlier Monday, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway said Trump had "full confidence" in Flynn, though her assertions were not backed up by other senior Trump aides. Spicer would say only that Flynn was continuing to carry out "his daily functions."

The conflicting signals created confusion at the White House, with reporters crowding around Spicer's office for hours Monday afternoon seeking information on Flynn's future.
    About the new National Security Advisor, Joseph Kellogg (former commander of the 82 Airborne Division):

Lt. General Joseph Keith Kellogg, Jr., was named President Trump’s acting national security advisor after the administration’s former advisor was forced to resign amid reports about a phone call with a Russian ambassador.

Kellogg, 72, is a decorated Army veteran who served two tours in Vietnam War, where he earned a number of medals, including the Silver Star. He served as the commander of the famous 82nd Airborne Division from 1997 to 1998.

Kellogg, who has been seen a number of times in Trump Tower, is considered to be one of the president’s closest advisers. He was directly under Flynn until the resignation.

The Nation reported that Kellogg has taken a deep interest in “computer-driven” warfare since retiring from the military. He reportedly worked as a vice president at Cubic Corp., which provides ground combat training and technical support for the Pentagon.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yep...1 down, several to go...tic toc, tic toc.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't really get the gravity of talking to the Russian ambassador about sanctions...

Misleading the VP, okay...
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I don't really get the gravity of talking to the Russian ambassador about sanctions...

For one, it's illegal for civilians/non-government officials to discuss official business with foreign governments. Of course it happens all the time and is no big deal. Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and all sorts of people do it once they're no longer in office.

The bigger problem, I think, is that it became apparent that the lying was too much and it seems that it's possible Russia could have information to blackmail Flynn...so once all that became public there was really no other choice.

Ultimately, it makes the administration look like even more of a joke. Kellyanne has different statements than Miller and the VP...I picture the White House with Benny Hill music playing over the PA system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In part it has to do with there is only one administration at a time.

Big picture, "not remembering" what you talked to Russian diplomats about or (purposely?) misleading your boss (POTUS / VPOTUS) is the bigger issue IMO.

It falls back to the "special trust and confidence in the fidelities and abilities of ..." concept.

Add on to this LTG Flynn already took an early ding when his son was released from the transition team for spreading unsubstantiated news. At some point when your worth to the organization is outweighed by the distractions, you are not going to be kept around very long.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In part it has to do with there is only one administration at a time.

Big picture, "not remembering" what you talked to Russian diplomats about or (purposely?) misleading your boss (POTUS / VPOTUS) is the bigger issue IMO.

It falls back to the "special trust and confidence in the fidelities and abilities of ..." concept.

Add on to this LTG Flynn already took an early ding when his son was released from the transition team for spreading unsubstantiated news. At some point when your worth to the organization is outweighed by the distractions, you are not going to be kept around very long.

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Yesterday it started to look inevitable that Flynn was out:
    We'll likely never know the backstory. But, Flynn made many enemies in the IC bureaucracy , when he publically describe them as only 'marginally relevant' 9 years after 9-11 (See: "Fixing Intel” blueprint).

He was later declared Persona Non Grata, by the Obama/Clinton sycophants (when he faulted them for creating ISIS) And they've been conjuring up the absurd "Russian puppets' controversy, with leaks to the "fake news" for months now.

He's definitely no politician. So, I'm not at all surprised to see him fall on his sword, for President Trump, if he thought it'd become too much of a distraction.

On a personal note. I worked for General Flynn on several occasions (Both in-garrison and deployed) and found him to be a great leader and a True Patriot. Not at all like the warmongering caricature, that the media presents.

The good news is, He got to advise the President throughout the campaign & He'll land on his feet & he can go make real money now. and continue to serve the National interest, By 'calling it like it is', in the public sphere.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-14-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    We'll likely never know the backstory. But, Flynn made many enemies in the IC , when he publically called them out in his "Fixing Intel” blueprint.

He was declared Persona Non Grata, by the Obama/Clinton sycophants (when he faulted them for creating ISIS) And they've been conjuring up the absurd "Russian moles' controversy, in the "fake news" for months now.

He's definitely no politician. So, I'm not at all surprised to see him fall on his sword, for President Trump, if he thought it'd become too much of a distraction.
    We won't ever know the backstory, it does seem he misrepresented (intentionally or unintentionally) some things to his boss. What ever his history with folks in the IC is/was ... he hung himself on this.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    We won't ever know the backstory,
    I think we'll find out quite a bit during the impeachment.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I bet Spicer is not far behind.
    The Voice of Reason