Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 65

Thread: The Personal Bullshit Thread

  1. #11
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    No, it wasn't.
    It came across that way. As has been said, no tone, no inflection here ... just black and white text.



    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I get it. It's done. I apologize for being an ass. Move on.
    Fair enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I log on at home because I'm bored, not because I'm concerned or pining over something that was said. It's the same reason I flip through channels or check Facebook. It's not a concern either way. I check it because it's there...not because it's necessary.
    Thought you meant you didn't log on at home, my mistake.


    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Just because I brought it up before doesn't mean it's still on my mind today. That seems to be a hang up of yours.
    Nearly all of us have 'themes' to our postings (almost like the character you said you and others play). A common one of yours is bitching, usually about anyone senior, in charge or otherwise having any kind of (however insignificant) authority. @Rainmaker's theme is usually very right leaning to the point of nonsense (no offense Rain), @Rusty Jones' is very left and racially oriented. Again, when all we have to read are the words on the screen it read knowing what those themes are.



    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I prefer to play devil's advocate. Conflict is much more interesting than agreement. This site is built on that conflict.

    Here's an example. Go back an look in the past when there were far more liberals on here than just Rusty. I took the counter to the liberals on every occasion. Now, since the majority of the posters on here are conservative, I side with Rusty on most topics. Otherwise, there's no balance. Otherwise, we'd just get RM posting racist shit all the time with Garkhal hanging on his coat tails and WJ playing the alt-right supporter to the definition of the term, and Rusty would be the only one here (when he has time to post) to counter them and to bitch at you for letting RM get away with the stuff he does. So, I give him a hand when I can. That's the way it works.
    Concur ... point - counter point is better debate than point - you are right. The problem is that it has turned personal/uncivil in many cases. You may say something isn't personal, the other person gets a vote too, generally bringing up or pulling someone's family into a conversation is going to be taken / considered personal. Telling / asking someone to understand that your personal style is [whatever] is asking them to conform to you vice generally standard levels of behavior. When Tak was still here, this was a pretty lengthy PM back and forth between he and I, saying "I am a good guy, you have to understand my sense of humor though" isn't sufficient and isn't what the Community Guidelines say is acceptable. This isn't a free for all, if you want that Reddit is probably a better place for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    If you're expecting to get my opinion on stuff then you're wasting your time. What I do offer, however, is the counter to the popular opinion of the day.
    Which can stimulate conversation ... but, I would also be interested in your actual opinion vice you disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing. Disagreeing for the sake of playing the 'nemesis' character is a bit odd (I say the sky is blue and you say the sky is red). People used to come to this site to discuss issues, regs, policy ... get advice etc. with small tangents of political, religious or other non-military issues. Unlike a JQP blog, the users here pick the topics and over time it turned into a few people's personal shit storm of jokes and personal bullshit and if you check other forums that reference MTF the common opinion is that it is "a bunch of retirees bitching about nothing ..." That is too bad, there is a lot of experience here, a lot of knowledge ... where we (current, former & retired NCO's, SNCO's and a couple of officers) could impart knowledge, have impact on the types of folks that come here using a search engine to search for something and would incorrectly assume that any of that goes on anymore (google searches on military topics steers an avg of 3000 hits per day to MTF), I think the daily topic of discussions turns those people around really fast.

    I had considered banning / deleting everyone and just closing the threads and site because of the lack of substance that has come about in the last couple of years, this type of mentality is what makes me think like that.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  2. #12
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    TRIED...Likely TRIED to beat the shit outta me. You may wanna pack a lunch...

    That's very grown up of you. I'm impressed. A leader of men, that's for sure.

    And, no, you wouldn't have because you would have understood the tone and the intent in which it was said.
    No, it isn't grown up. It is a visceral reaction to your comments on my daughter. Maybe I am not a leader of men, but I am a man ... had you continued to press the issue to my face ... it likely wouldn't have ended well one way or the other.

    Tone or not, you fail to understand that when someone asks you stop talking about their family ... you should have stopped. You failed to do that ... frankly ... you behaved like less than a man in that interaction.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  3. #13
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

    This isn't a free for all, if you want that Reddit is probably a better place for that.
    Good God...have some self respect! (So as not to offend, that was a joke about reddit, not about you personally not having self respect).



    Which can stimulate conversation ... but, I would also be interested in your actual opinion vice you disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing.
    My actual opinion is that I can see both sides of almost everything. When I talk to my very liberal dad I defend many of the things Trump does. When I talk to some of my very conservative coworkers I point out why many of his policies are dangerous. Unfortunately, neither my dad nor my coworkers can be bothered to look at the other side.

    I don't get worked up by stuff that either party does because it doesn't really impact me. I've been voting age and employed for 24 years now and not one President, democrat or republican, has made a difference in my way of life. I like my freedoms but I'm not too worked up that people can watch me through my web cam or smart TV. I realize there's a much bigger picture but I just don't care. There are 3 things that I really dislike. 1: Activists 2: Strict partisanship 3: Micromanagers..don't put someone in charge of a shop, then tell them how to run it...if the mission is successful and people aren't breaking laws then back off. I know there are a thousand reasons to counter this but none of them hold water.

    I had considered banning / deleting everyone and just closing the threads and site because of the lack of substance that has come about in the last couple of years, this type of mentality is what makes me think like that.
    Whatever works for you...personally, I enjoy the conversations (whether they seem civil or not) with the people on this site. That's probably because the familiarity makes things consistent. This is the only forum I've ever been a part of (other than a "Lost" theories forum that myself and one other on this forum frequented. If you shut this place down I'm sure I'd move on somewhere, or not...everyone else on here has their forums they go to which, I'm sure, are mostly there for confirmation bias...but that's not what I want.

  4. #14
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Good God...have some self respect! (So as not to offend, that was a joke about reddit, not about you personally not having self respect).



    My actual opinion is that I can see both sides of almost everything. When I talk to my very liberal dad I defend many of the things Trump does. When I talk to some of my very conservative coworkers I point out why many of his policies are dangerous. Unfortunately, neither my dad nor my coworkers can be bothered to look at the other side.

    I don't get worked up by stuff that either party does because it doesn't really impact me. I've been voting age and employed for 24 years now and not one President, democrat or republican, has made a difference in my way of life. I like my freedoms but I'm not too worked up that people can watch me through my web cam or smart TV. I realize there's a much bigger picture but I just don't care. There are 3 things that I really dislike. 1: Activists 2: Strict partisanship 3: Micromanagers..don't put someone in charge of a shop, then tell them how to run it...if the mission is successful and people aren't breaking laws then back off. I know there are a thousand reasons to counter this but none of them hold water.

    Whatever works for you...personally, I enjoy the conversations (whether they seem civil or not) with the people on this site. That's probably because the familiarity makes things consistent. This is the only forum I've ever been a part of (other than a "Lost" theories forum that myself and one other on this forum frequented. If you shut this place down I'm sure I'd move on somewhere, or not...everyone else on here has their forums they go to which, I'm sure, are mostly there for confirmation bias...but that's not what I want.
    I haven't shut it because that isn't what I want ... what I would honestly prefer is that we not let a topic that has substance become about Nazi's, race, or getting off my lawn.

    And wait ... you like Lost ... we should talk.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  5. #15
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    And wait ... you like Lost ... we should talk.
    Uhhhh....like it? We rewatch the entire thing every year. I consider myself a bit of an expert and I really miss the theory forums and discussions after every episode. The closest thing recently (as far as the theories go) has been Westworld (JJ Abrams, of course) and to a lesser extent, Game of Thrones.

    Lost is my top show of all time. The next tier below that is Walking Dead/Game of Thrones.

    I'm sure you've noticed the Dharma Initiative logo on another user in here.

  6. #16
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Actually, no I didn't. Have a look back. It was your boy Garkhal who brought that up.
    He's the most dishonest poster we have. Terrible.


    As most of Trump's (hail) undertones, and overtones, as well as yours, come straight from the list for fascism. It means nothing for either of you. You go to the extreme to make your point just as Rusty goes to the extreme to make his. We both know that neither of you are really THAT extreme.
    Rainman is all for fascism of the whites. Lies and more lies to make his point. Sad.
    The Voice of Reason

  7. #17
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    He's the most dishonest poster we have. Terrible.
    You actually have to think for yourself to be dishonest. He mostly piggybacks off of Rainmaker and WJ5.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  8. #18
    Senior Member WILDJOKER5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You actually have to think for yourself to be dishonest. He mostly piggybacks off of Rainmaker and WJ5.
    Says the guy with the conformist icon for an avatar. "Unite or die".
    Progressivism; such great ideas, they need to force you to follow them.

    Socialism is for the people, not the socialist.

    Economic Left/Right: 7.38
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08
    politicalcompass.org

  9. #19
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,555
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    You actually have to think for yourself to be dishonest. He mostly piggybacks off of Rainmaker and WJ5.
    Yes, Rainman is the liar. He said Sands brought up liberals. He can't tell the truth. Sad.
    The Voice of Reason

  10. #20
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,882
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    His original premise is that Rusty is a Marxist.

    He supports this premise by labeling the Frankfurt School as Marxist...which it did draw from some of Marx's ideas, but would more of neo-Marxist thought than what would typically be labeled Marxism today. MINO, if you will.

    He then produces a popular internet-created, but mostly false and almost entirely twisted out of context, list that the so-called Frankfurt school apparently created to compare to Rusty's posts to prove that Rusty agrees with a fake list made from a mischaracterized school, that is not even a school,

    So...which part of that premise is happening today?
    Meh.

    I see the hasbara troll routine is back to brigade the forum again. Obviously it was the reference to the Frankfurt school that triggered you, to immediately spring back into action and start responding to all my posts, with the pathetic intention to derail the discussion.

    You might want to pass on to your handlers (at CTR) that It'd be more effective next time, if you first changed your screen name and pretended to be something else (that your not) for a while again. Sorry pal, your cover's already been blown on that one.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 02-08-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •