Thread: Doxing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doxing

Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    The IP address you typically log on to outside of what is probably your working hours is definitely different than the one you log on to during the day"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    How much longer till we cross the Rubicon and just start outright 'doxing' forum posters?
    Am hoping we don't do that. By 'we' I really mean me ... I am the only one with access to your IPs and registration emails. While the previous mod from Gannett had posted her name in the forum, I drew the line when people were linking her Facebook & LinkedIn profile, a bit stalkery ... and of course people bitched that I deleted those posts.

By using the Admin control panel, I can query what IP's users post or log on from, if not logged in it just shows as 'GUEST'. I can also query IP's and see that 'GUEST' comes from the same IP as @Rainmaker for example. I also get an alert/notice if a foreign or known (recorded) malicious IP logs on. In the past a couple of users logged on from foreign IPs and I sent a PM asking if that was them or not ... in all but one case it was (they were temporarily out of the country). This is how I am seeing the rise in Russian based IPs hitting the site lately.

With an IP it is not hard to localize where someone is. For residential IPs I could get pretty accurate ... DoD ones going through a NOC are more difficult but automatically ID's the base (they use the base name as a domain ID). Logging on from a smart phone would be the hardest to figure out ... I haven't really tracked any of you down, I am not that interested in you.

Also, registration emails (unless you use a email address that is only for MTF) would be a way to dig into folks. Using a .mil address would be overtly easy to research. The best registration email was fuckyoumods@xxxxxxxx.com ... I lol'd at that.

I interpreted what @sandsjames said as he doesn't log on at home (my mistake) which based on the various IPs and times of posting I didn't (at the time) think was accurate.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Am hoping we don't do that. By 'we' I really mean me ... I am the only one with access to your IPs and registration emails. While the previous mod from Gannett had posted her name in the forum, I drew the line when people were linking her Facebook & LinkedIn profile, a bit stalkery ... and of course people bitched that I deleted those posts.

By using the Admin control panel, I can query what IP's users post or log on from, if not logged in it just shows as 'GUEST'. I can also query IP's and see that 'GUEST' comes from the same IP as @Rainmaker for example. I also get an alert/notice if a foreign or known (recorded) malicious IP logs on. In the past a couple of users logged on from foreign IPs and I sent a PM asking if that was them or not ... in all but one case it was (they were temporarily out of the country). This is how I am seeing the rise in Russian based IPs hitting the site lately.

With an IP it is not hard to localize where someone is. For residential IPs I could get pretty accurate ... DoD ones going through a NOC are more difficult but automatically ID's the base (they use the base name as a domain ID). Logging on from a smart phone would be the hardest to figure out ... I haven't really tracked any of you down, I am not that interested in you.

Also, registration emails (unless you use a email address that is only for MTF) would be a way to dig into folks. Using a .mil address would be overtly easy to research. The best registration email was fuckyoumods@xxxxxxxx.com ... I lol'd at that.

I interpreted what @sandsjames said as he doesn't log on at home (my mistake) which based on the various IPs and times of posting I didn't (at the time) think was accurate.
    So the work IP shows the base? That's odd, as it goes through a proxy server and any time I go to a website from work to, say, Lowes, Home Depot, or any other sort of shopping site, it shows my hometown store as being in Alabama.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    So the work IP shows the base? That's odd, as it goes through a proxy server and any time I go to a website from work to, say, Lowes, Home Depot, or any other sort of shopping site, it shows my hometown store as being in Alabama.
    Not the IP, the domain (the login script) logs both the domain and IP. The IP can be resolved, COMCAST will actually tell you pretty specifically where the IP resolves to (not your home address, but down to a general area, neighborhood etc.) If you login at a Starbucks, I can localize the store etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Not the IP, the domain (the login script) logs both the domain and IP. The IP can be resolved, COMCAST will actually tell you pretty specifically where the IP resolves to (not your home address, but down to a general area, neighborhood etc.) If you login at a Starbucks, I can localize the store etc.