Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: retiree dental..

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

retiree dental..

So for my fellow retirees, which dental insurance do you go by? Metlife? Delta? Humana? Some other??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have Delta Dental. Never had a problem with them. The only thing you need to remember is to find a dentist that takes them.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Delta Dental.It's good for check-ups and cleanings...It's not much of a "military benefit" if at all...it is virtually identical to the plan I can purchase at work.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Delta Dental.It's good for check-ups and cleanings...It's not much of a "military benefit" if at all...it is virtually identical to the plan I can purchase at work.
    It's not really a military benefit but more of an opportunity to join a group insurance plan. The military doesn't provide retiree dental services so this is about the best they can offer. It helps a little, but it's better than nothing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Dental insurance overall sucks real bad. We have Delta, but they're pretty much all the same. I went in on Monday and my wife went in today. We're looking at needing work done (a couple crowns, a bridge, etc) that's going to end up running us $5k to $7k AFTER insurance covers their share. I can't figure out why dental and eye insurance isn't part of normal medical.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Ive never understood that either, NOR why compared to other programs (such as regular med insurance) you seem to pony up a lot more than normal..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Ive never understood that either, NOR why compared to other programs (such as regular med insurance) you seem to pony up a lot more than normal..
    I think, even though we may not want to admit it, many dental procedures are for esthetics and not medically required. Most insurance companies will balk at medical procedures if determined to be not medically necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think, even though we may not want to admit it, many dental procedures are for esthetics and not medically required. Most insurance companies will balk at medical procedures if determined to be not medically necessary.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I figure its because Medical is viewed as a benefit of military service, a promise...it's protected and defended by our lobbyists and ourselves. Taking it away is more likely to face opposition.

Dental has just been like a 'yeah, whatever'...nobody gets too upset about it, so Congress has not felt the need to fund a better plan...what we have is basically a plan you can buy anywhere whether you are military retiree or not...so probably does not cost the govt. much, if anything.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Aetna has a plan (Benefeds) for retired civil servants. That plan is not available to retired military but they might have something similar. They have been a pretty good company to deal with.