Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mattis SECDEF Nomination Testimony

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mattis SECDEF Nomination Testimony

Watched the entirety of his testimony ... very interesting back and forth on things.

I think people expecting 'Mad Dog', to come in and throw out homosexuals or reverse policies on LGBT service members will not like what I sense from Mattis:

Under questioning from Sens. Claire McCaskill, a Missouri Democrat, and Kirsten Gillibrand, a New York Democrat, Mattis said he would support the current policy on women in combat roles and gays serving openly.

"I have no plan to oppose women in any aspect of our military," Mattis said. On gays in the military, Mattis told Gillibrand, "Frankly, Senator, I've never cared about two consenting adults and who they go to bed with."
    In many ways Mattis' views align with what I get the sense is Trump's ideology -- neither conservative nor liberal ... but pragmatic & realistic.

His written response to submitted questions is here:

http://www.armed-services.senate.gov...s_01-12-17.pdf
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Watched the entirety of his testimony ...
    Really? You should find some better hobbies...or did you watch it on government time? Either way...good lord man...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Really? You should find some better hobbies...or did you watch it on government time? Either way...good lord man...
    I woke up about 0130, watched it on the computer while I was doing some gaming (dual screens).

I do think it is important to pay attention to some of this, in part because I am a military professional at the middle management point and many have to execute the policies of this SECDEF, in part because I carry a Legislative Affairs AQD (our version of an officer AFSC) and provide some LegAffairs support to our ISIC ...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I didn't watch it all, but I liked parts I did see - in particular:

"Senator, I've never come into a job with a preformed agenda of changing anything," Mattis said. "I come in assuming people before me deserve respect for the job they did and the decisions they made."

I also liked that when asked about monitoring the Iran nuclear deal, he replied that he is not privy to the entire deal nor is he familiar with the monitoring capabilities. He replied that he could not answer that question until he was briefed in to that compartment. He is wise enough to know what he doesn't know and admit it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I woke up about 0130, watched it on the computer while I was doing some gaming (dual screens).
    You may want to see a doctor about an addiction...hope it's at least a good game.

I do think it is important to pay attention to some of this, in part because I am a military professional at the middle management point and many have to execute the policies of this SECDEF, in part because I carry a Legislative Affairs AQD (our version of an officer AFSC) and provide some LegAffairs support to our ISIC ...
    I used to think it was important. However, I'm sure you know as well as the next guy that testimonies like this are just a forum for a high ranking government official to give canned answers to cover his own ass. Nothing productive, really. I listed to about 2 minutes of the SecDef stuff and it was very clear that it was all about giving spoon fed answers from the transition team to purposely counter a lot of Trump's comments in order to make the people feel a little more at ease.

If that's the sort of thing you like then you can come over to my place in the spring and watch the grass grow and paint dry.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I also liked that when asked about monitoring the Iran nuclear deal, he replied that he is not privy to the entire deal nor is he familiar with the monitoring capabilities. He replied that he could not answer that question until he was briefed in to that compartment. He is wise enough to know what he doesn't know and admit it.
    I took it more as he was simply giving the prudent political answer so that he wouldn't actually have to voice his opinion. If you like that sort of things then you must be a huge fan of all politicians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=sandsjames;369212]You may want to see a doctor about an addiction...hope it's at least a good game.

Waking up at 0130 was due to my daughter coming down to ask if I could get her water ... couldn't go back to sleep. As good of a game as it is (Lord of the Rings Online), it isn't that good.

I used to think it was important. However, I'm sure you know as well as the next guy that testimonies like this are just a forum for a high ranking government official to give canned answers to cover his own ass. Nothing productive, really. I listed to about 2 minutes of the SecDef stuff and it was very clear that it was all about giving spoon fed answers from the transition team to purposely counter a lot of Trump's comments in order to make the people feel a little more at ease.
    Much of Congressional testimony is theater. While I would bet money that Mattis' spent time with the transition team to work on where he aligns and differs with DJT, some of his differences with DJT are significant ... so am interested in where the policy dust settles. It may be, it may not. I was particularly interested on which Dem would ask about LGBT issues, and how they would frame it. Having worked on the Hill I find this stuff interesting. Likely when I retire I won't pay much attention because it won't impact me as much; right now it does.

If that's the sort of thing you like then you can come over to my place in the spring and watch the grass grow and paint dry.
    We could talk DC vs Marvel ... would be grand

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

We could talk DC vs Marvel ... would be grand
    I like both apples and oranges so there's really no "vs" (though DC is killing Marvel in the comics right now).

Detective, Batman, Superman, Action, and Titans are amazing. So is Justice League vs Suicide Squad. All Marvel has going for it really is Wolverine, Unworthy Thor and, surprisingly, Avengers.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 01-13-2017 at 02:24 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    I didn't watch it all, but I liked parts I did see - in particular:

"Senator, I've never come into a job with a preformed agenda of changing anything," Mattis said. "I come in assuming people before me deserve respect for the job they did and the decisions they made."

I didn't watch any of it.

But, these two replies seem more like non-answers than answers.

Watched only a few minutes of Tillerson's hearing when Rubio was grilling him on Putin and trying to make him say Putin was a bad guy and all Tillerson would say was, "I don't have the information to make that judgement."
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    All Marvel has going for it really is Unworthy Thor, Wolverine, and surprisingly, Avengers.
    Fixed that